Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-1.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-3.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-4.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-5.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-6.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-7.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-8.png

VB%20grand%20opening%20ceremony-9.png

Volcano Bay is officially open!
Who is the guy in the floral shirt? Is it bill Davies?

Yeesh, some of the feedback I'm seeing on the Volcano Bay twitter hashtag is making all of us look like angels :lol:. Let's see if Universal makes it out of Memorial Day weekend alive!

Limiting entry for PR sake might not be a bad move at this point, until things get smoothed out. Glad to see I don't need a life jacked during my float down the pipeline river anymore. Even small steps are good things to celebrate!

I know we all know that visiting a ride or new park on opening weekend, let alone the first few months can be ludicrous... but this isn't 1955 with no social media, and limited technology.

Now a days if you say a new park is opening or a new ride is opening on this day, and you are charging full price, people are going to expect a full experience. If you are only able to ride one thing in 5 hours out of 18 attractions then I'm sorry... the systems failing. I hope they can get it all working fast, a lot of once in a lifetime vacations are starting to happen.

And as we know, social media and going viral can be unforgiving. It took Disneyland a while to recover in 1955, I sincerely hope word doesn't spread. I think we all want universal to be successful here.

Reactions: maxairmike
I know we all know that visiting a ride or new park on opening weekend, let alone the first few months can be ludicrous... but this isn't 1955 with no social media, and limited technology.

Now a days if you say a new park is opening or a new ride is opening on this day, and you are charging full price, people are going to expect a full experience. If you are only able to ride one thing in 5 hours out of 18 attractions then I'm sorry... the systems failing. I hope they can get it all working fast, a lot of once in a lifetime vacations are starting to happen.

And as we know, social media and going viral can be unforgiving. It took Disneyland a while to recover in 1955, I sincerely hope word doesn't spread. I think we all want universal to be successful here.
I see your point. Universal advertised no lines and no wait etc and it isn't happening. Universal should have been more careful how they marketed an experience at a park without soft openings.I think those wait times are just entirely to high tapu tapu or not for a water slide. Just isn't worth the cost to many people IMO. But who knows how that can be fixed. Will be interesting to see.

Reactions: maxairmike
Nah, I think they should cut their overall capacity instead.

Speaking of , does anyone know what the total capacity of the park is?

Universal intends for this to be the #1 most visited water park in the world and hopes to reach 3 million visitors. So, we're looking at 8-9k visitors per day average. My guess, capacity is 10k.

Are the inflated wait times due to Tapu Tapu or high crowds with poor capacity/operations?

I don't see how Tapu Tapu would inflate the wait time since you can only wait for one ride at a time. The issue seems to be with operations and efficiency of sending riders down the slides. This should all work itself out in time.

^Meh the UO social listening team will be just fine. The ops team needs to come up with a solution pretty quickly though. The tapu tapu had been the most hyped up aspect of the park (even more so than the slides) and I don't see these issues being resolved anytime this summer. They've kinda engineered themselves into a corner without reducing daily occupancy. 45 minute lines for food? No thanks, I'll wait until the fall.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Taputapu wasn't suppose to end wait times, it was meant to end physically waiting in line, and I think it's doing that alright right now, it will be improved though. I don't see why people are complaining about the virtual line being too long and it's sucks when they would just be waiting that physically if it wasn't for the virtual line. This is what these people don't understand and it needs to be explained better I think.

I don't think people are getting the virtual line. Tapu Tapu does not mean you won't wait in line. 5 hours for a new ride is not unheard of (Gringotts, anyone...or hell, a Frozen M&G) and even if VB had softs, things would break down when it officially opened, increasing wait times. With the virtual line, you're still waiting in line and there is no limit as to how long you will wait. The idea is that you're not physically waiting in line, but that you can move about the park freely as you wait. Would I personally bother waiting in line, in any form, virtual or not, for 5 hours? No. But I'm also not going to go to a theme park on it's 2nd day on a holiday weekend.

For those saying to put yourself in the shoes of people who paid and are having bad experiences, I am. While I have never been to a theme park on it's opening day, I have been to many things on opening day or opening week, just because I was excited to go to something new. Do you know how many of the things I went to on opening day went by smoothly? None of them. And that was for 2 movie theaters, a museum, an animal shelter, and a Coney Island attractions, none of those things compare for a theme park of this scale and even they couldn't get it right. Things do not go smoothly when things first open, that is a fact. When you choose to be the first to do something, you not only pay the price literally to get in, but you pay the price in terms of getting a so-so if not crappy experience. You cannot have your cake and eat it, too. If you wanted a perfect experience, you should have got your tickets for a few months down the road. You can be disappointed in things not being as finished as they should be, but to complain about wait times and operations not being buttery smooth, than I'm sorry, I don't pity you. You should have been realistic and knew what you were getting yourself into when you signed up to be a paying guinea pig.

^^I don't think you're gonna win anyone over telling the vast majority of the guests about "what they don't understand". Perhaps we need a lesson in cognitive science 101. I present to you...

"It's not just you, bad doors are everywhere"

Reactions: Andysol
If you offer "discount" tickets that will just encourage more people to go.

They may leave slightly less disappointed knowing they paid less, but that doesn't solve your crowd issue.

They probably need to dial it back about 2,000 people.

It sounded crazy when proposed, but probably should've limited this to just resort guests, at least opening Summer.

Also never should have tried to move the schedule up 3 weeks.

Reactions: jtsalien

I think the problem is, it's a sloppy launch but people are trying to reflect that to the park's overall quality which the first couple of days aren't really the best way to gage that. Especially in terms of stuff like lines, certain functions not working as well as hoped and crowd control at the opening gate. That is stuff that will be fixed.

If there's something that's poorly designed, that is the kind of thing that would more be fair to reflect on the whole park. However as many have said and pointed out, they're still working on the park. I'm going to give them a chance to turn my opinion around.

If a park's opening dictated how good it was permanently none of the parks in Orlando, whether they be Uni's, Disney's or SeaWorld's would be anywhere near as good as they are now.

I can't remember a park that's had as few days of soft openings as VB has. These are all the problems that a proper soft open would've found + solved. I feel really bad for everybody who came down for opening day specifically. But, I think everybody needs to treat the next month or so as the soft open that VB never had.