Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you look at the Opening week for Cabana Bay on Trip Advisor most of the reviews were awful too. Now it ranks as one of the top resorts in Orlando. I blame the public for not having realistic expectations. As a former Restaurant Manager for several different chains, openings were always a disaster. No matter how experienced the staff was or how well prepared you were. While a lot of these complaints are completely valid, none of them were unforeseen by operations. There are some things you just can't fix until you put the maximum stress on the system.

Here's some of the reviews for Cabana Bay opening week,

“Don't waste your money staying in this hotel when you have tons of better priced and better quality hotels in the near by area.”
“I Wanted to Love This Place”
“Bad experience and no organization by staff.”
“Need to step it up!”
“What a let down!”
“Disappointing”
“BIG LET DOWN!”
“Dissapointed”
“Disaster”
“Disappointing Experience”
“Missing Many Standard Amenities!”
“Not Magical for the $$”
“"A pretty painting with dirt on it"”

I think I remember the same sort of stuff for Sapphire Falls.. which is, I think, the best hotel on site for the price.

If you look at the Opening week for Cabana Bay on Trip Advisor most of the reviews were awful too. Now it ranks as one of the top resorts in Orlando. I blame the public for not having realistic expectations. As a former Restaurant Manager for several different chains, openings were always a disaster. No matter how experienced the staff was or how well prepared you were. While a lot of these complaints are completely valid, none of them were unforeseen by operations. There are some things you just can't fix until you put the maximum stress on the system.

Here's some of the reviews headlines or Cabana Bay opening week,

“Don't waste your money staying in this hotel when you have tons of better priced and better quality hotels in the near by area.”
“I Wanted to Love This Place”
“Bad experience and no organization by staff.”
“Need to step it up!”
“What a let down!”
“Disappointing”
“BIG LET DOWN!”
“Dissapointed”
“Disaster”
“Disappointing Experience”
“Missing Many Standard Amenities!”
“Not Magical for the $$”
“"A pretty painting with dirt on it"”
Yes, I remember those complaints well. Even one of the OU staff members who booked a room there blasted it, but now he says great things about CBBR. I think the Gringotts reviews might have even been worst, especially on OI when they still had their forums running on the site. People were giving it one and two star ratings.....It would have been nice if that Volcano construction didn't lag behind and mess up the construction schedules. But, unfortunately stuff happens.....Universal will get through this and this past week will just be looked at as old history........One point though. I don't really see why Universal & Disney are so keen on these end of May to end of June openings. Since the attendance trends have stretched peoples visits throughout the whole year, summer's no longer have such a huge percentage of the total attendance. It would probably be better if they would adjust their construction schedules to open attractions, like they did with Race Through New York, in other times of the year, where if there were construction issues, it would be easier to delay openings. That, 'we have to open it just as summer crowds are arriving mentality', just seems to get everyone in trouble (Recent examples: Diagon/Gringotts, Kong, Frozen, Sapphire & now VB)

Reactions: Joel
The more I read this thread the more I debate skipping reading it.

Everything has been about how terrible the park has been its first few days.

I was hoping to hear actual guests thoughts and more about improvements being made since day one...haven't seen much of any of that.

Maybe I should just come back in a month.

I'm hoping, too, that we will soon be hearing that things went much more smoothly today than they did over the weekend. But I think the negative feedback (mostly about what seem to be reasonable and legit issues) on this site and others is both healthy and necessary. Without it, Universal would have no real incentive to deliver. They should be held accountable. Hell, they should want to be held accountable. In the end it will help them deliver a better product.

I think it is important that paying customers express (reasonably & rationally) their frustration and disappointment if they feel they are not getting what they were promised and/or what they thought they were paying for.

If I go to a new restaurant and order my steak medium rare, and the steak I am served is well done, then I'm probably gonna (politely) ask my server to send it back and make it right- even if it is the server's first night and it's the restaurant's opening week. For one, I like my steak medium rare and two, if I didn't complain and send it back, then how in the world would the restaurant know that the chef is overcooking steaks and that I wasn't a 100% happy customer?

Does anyone know if things are running any smoother today?
These next few weeks are vital for Universal there needs to be signs of progress before the park gets a bad reputation. I'm hopeful we will see those signs then we can find the next thing to complain about ;).

Reactions: JoeCamel
Does anyone know if things are running any smoother today?
These next few weeks are vital for Universal there needs to be signs of progress before the park gets a bad reputation. I'm hopeful we will see those signs then we can find the next thing to complain about ;).
i agree to a certain extent
i do think things will get worked out
In three months this will be way in the past

Nope. Doesn't seem to have changed that much... :curse::cry:

3+ hours for one ride!? That is insane. I love Universal and everything about it. I will wait 3 hours to ride Potter or even Mummy at times. But for a water park, 3+ hours is a little much, don't you think? If Honu was 3 hours, I wonder what the water coaster will be.... YIKES. Could anyone who has actually gone to the park give me some insight to calm my fears of these long waits? Anything is appreiated.