Walt Disney Animation Studios/Pixar | Inside Universal Forums

Walt Disney Animation Studios/Pixar

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been officially announced that Pete Docter and Jennifer Lee will be taking over John Lasseter's positions for the animation divisions of TWDC.

Pete Docter will be taking over for Pixar, as the Chief Creative Officer for Pixar; as Jennifer Lee will be taking over for the role of Chief Creative Officer for Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Pete Docter, has been apart of Pixar for a long time, directing on films like Monsters Inc/UP/Inside Out; and has written on films such as UP and Inside Out. As Jennifer Lee has been apart of many projects at WDAS; such as Co-Directing with Chris Buck on Frozen/Frozen 2, and wrote on Frozen/Frozen 2/Wreck it Ralph/Wrinkle in Time.

What do you think? Are you excited with the changes? Comment below!

Both good choices. Pete Doctor has been solid for a long time at Pixar and Jennifer Lee, aside from Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, etc, also wrote the story for Zootopia.

Aside from the reason for Lasseter's departure, I think it was getting to the point of it being time anyway. Pixar has been in a bit of a weird place since about 2010 with a mix of hits and misses. WDAS, which Lasseter had less involvement with, has been thriving of late.

I think those are both excellent choices. Definitely interested in seeing what they do with their new positions!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Coasted
I believe he's only directed two movies for Pixar within the past 10 years or so (TS3, Coco), but both were incredible. He'll be missed.

I believe he's only directed two movies for Pixar within the past 10 years or so (TS3, Coco), but both were incredible. He'll be missed.

He also co-directed Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo as well as other behind the scenes roles like editing and producing.

He also co-directed Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo as well as other behind the scenes roles like editing and producing.
I know about those, but i'm just saying it seems like he's been a bit absent within the past decade with a few exceptions.

It should also be noted that he isn't leaving for another studio. He wants to spend more time with his family and explore other interests.

Disney's never really been known as a "filmmaker" studio. I've never thought of any Disney movie as an auteur, one-artist's-singular-vision kind of movie. I bet most people could never name a single person that's directed a Pixar movie.

DWA tried to be that a while back (they got Edgar Wright to do a movie), but they seemed to have abandoned that idea when Comcast bought them.

Sony got Chris Lord/Phil Miller to do two movies for them now, which means they're the closest to a "filmmaker" studio. I bet they're doubling down on that idea and trying to attract seasoned animators who want more freedom.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush