Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walt's Plane

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Walt's private plane - which he used to scout locations and ultimately find the location for what is now Walt Disney World - has been spotted by Blog Mickey on new nearmap aerials.

The plane was last seen along the Studio Backlot Tour location in which the plane sat for over 20 years. It was removed from it's location in 2016, when preparations for SW:GE and TSL were getting underway. This is the first time the plane's whereabouts have been publicly known or spotted since it moved:

It's located in a restricted area near Disney's Animal Kingdom:
walt-disney-plane-backstage-2018-3.jpg

The plane has been repainted to match it's original look:
walt-disney-in-front-of-his-plane.png

Here's what the plane looked like while at DHS:
CatastropheCanyon_03042016-16.jpg

PHOTOS: "The Mouse" - Walt Disney's Old Plane Spotted on Disney Property - Blog Mickey

Seems an odd place to store it, wonder what the reasoning is for taking it there.
Probably because they needed an immediate place to move it once it left DHS so they just chose another place on property. By putting it here, it's far away from where the public could find it simply by driving past, too.

This is really cool to know the plane is safe and everything, but why are people scouring aerials of off limits sewage treatment areas?

The aerials have always been there but I think somebody was flying by the area the other day and spotted the plane. I don't think it was intentional and people have been wondering about the plane since it left so that's why it's blown up a wee bit.

The aerials have always been there but I think somebody was flying by the area the other day and spotted the plane. I don't think it was intentional and people have been wondering about the plane since it left so that's why it's blown up a wee bit.
Oh okay. That makes sense. I was laughing at the idea of someone looking through every inch of Disney Property aerials.

Walt's private plane - which he used to scout locations and ultimately find the location for what is now Walt Disney World - has been spotted by Blog Mickey on new nearmap aerials.

The plane was last seen along the Studio Backlot Tour location in which the plane sat for over 20 years. It was removed from it's location in 2016, when preparations for SW:GE and TSL were getting underway. This is the first time the plane's whereabouts have been publicly known or spotted since it moved:

It's located in a restricted area near Disney's Animal Kingdom:
walt-disney-plane-backstage-2018-3.jpg

The plane has been repainted to match it's original look:
walt-disney-in-front-of-his-plane.png

Here's what the plane looked like while at DHS:
CatastropheCanyon_03042016-16.jpg

PHOTOS: "The Mouse" - Walt Disney's Old Plane Spotted on Disney Property - Blog Mickey

I find it interesting they painted the plane. Must mean they intend to display it somewhere.

Oh okay. That makes sense. I was laughing at the idea of someone looking through every inch of Disney Property aerials.

This is the first post about the finding:
Spotted: Walt Disney's Plane, formerly of Disney's Hollywood Studios backlot tour | The Disney Blog

I find it interesting they painted the plane. Must mean they intend to display it somewhere.
It would make a great piece for the front of DHS if they redo the entrance for the name change or somewhere near Soarin' would do nicely as well.

It would make a great piece for the front of DHS if they redo the entrance for the name change or somewhere near Soarin' would do nicely as well.
Maybe it would be cool to have it somewhere in the new Mickey Mouse ride. Since the plane is Walt's it would work as both respectful to what Walt did, and double as an homage to the Casablanca scene from GMR.

I'm really very surprised they repainted it, especially to the older style. I can't imagine Disney displaying it anywhere and even if so seems they would want to just keep the blue Mickey Mouse style. It kind of makes me think they may be sending it to a museum, perhaps the Disney family museum or some other one. That would make sense why they would want it to be more historically accurate.

I'm really very surprised they repainted it, especially to the older style. I can't imagine Disney displaying it anywhere and even if so seems they would want to just keep the blue Mickey Mouse style. It kind of makes me think they may be sending it to a museum, perhaps the Disney family museum or some other one. That would make sense why they would want it to be more historically accurate.
The Walt Disney Family Museum makes the most sense. Although if that was the case, why would Disney be painting it? Wouldn't they just leave it to the museum?

Is there a place on the Imagineering archives lot that it could go?

The Walt Disney Family Museum makes the most sense. Although if that was the case, why would Disney be painting it? Wouldn't they just leave it to the museum?
Perhaps it's easier to have it painted before moving and the museum is having it done here?