Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WB Dubai

Yes, I saw that yesterday. When I was looking through it, it was uncanny how similar it was to Jay Stein's original concept (though outdoors & considerably larger) for what ended up becoming IOA. Originally, it was Cartoon World,ilizing almost all those same Warner/DC characters. But, MCA/Universal, who had a rep as the toughest of negotiating companies, broke off negotiations over a paltry $70,000 difference in IP rights payments. Universal/MCA just never would give in to the other side. Win win win or no deal. Maintaining their tough negotiating rep was number one priority.

Yes, I saw that yesterday. When I was looking through it, it was uncanny how similar it was to Jay Stein's original concept (though outdoors & considerably larger) for what ended up becoming IOA. Originally, it was Cartoon World,ilizing almost all those same Warner/DC characters. But, MCA/Universal, who had a rep as the toughest of negotiating companies, broke off negotiations over a paltry $70,000 difference in IP rights payments. Universal/MCA just never would give in to the other side. Win win win or no deal. Maintaining their tough negotiating rep was number one priority.
That's so frustrating. Because now, all of those rights are stuck with Six Flags.

Complete and utter waste.

That's so frustrating. Because now, all of those rights are stuck with Six Flags.

Complete and utter waste.
All over a measly $70,000 and the principle of never giving in on a negotiation. (Of course that worked out well for acquiring Marvel rights as an alternative. They got a better and cheaper deal that's probably a stronger IP in the long run)....But, myself, I like the way IOA turned out more than I think I would have liked the Cartoon World concept. Stein's idea was to challenge Magic Kingdom, and the demographics aimed at, were more like Disneys for that second park.

The Marvel IP was far better than the DC IP. That was definitely a good call.
As far as I can think, Looney Tunes (+Scooby-Doo, Tom+Jerry... all of the Six Flags cartoon IP), are one of the most valuable properties left unused. That would be a huge get for Universal. Or, if Six Flags were to do it properly, it could revitalize the entire chain with a properly themed Looney Tunes land in its major parks.

The Marvel IP was far better than the DC IP. That was definitely a good call.
As far as I can think, Looney Tunes (+Scooby-Doo, Tom+Jerry... all of the Six Flags cartoon IP), are one of the most valuable properties left unused. That would be a huge get for Universal. Or, if Six Flags were to do it properly, it could revitalize the entire chain with a properly themed Looney Tunes land in its major parks.
Yeah, Six Flags really wasted those good IP. When Six Flags first bought Geauga Lake Park in Ohio, I went there. They had the Looney Tune themes and DC with Batman, Superman & Joker. The theming was all weak and the entertainment factor zilch.

You have to realize that the rights for the WB stuff were probably a little more complicated since at the time they were negotiating Time Warner either owned the Six Flags parks or was in the process of selling them (the mid 90's). The stuff that THEY did with the parks was actually decent at the time. It was the next owner (Premier Parks) that did a lot of the crappy/cheap stuff with the DC characters.

The Six Flags parks are a different caliber from this because they are seasonal parks that in their busiest parks only bring in about 3 million guests. There's a limit to what they can spend and make back on the investment. It's a different business model.

I have to say out of all the Dubai parks, this one has the most potential.

Even though it's still under construction, it's coming along pretty nicely. The themed/lit ceilings are a nice touch compared to the blank structure/sound walls of Ferrari World or IMG. (Though I do wonder what Gotham City's ceiling is going to be, since right now it's just bare warehouse ceiling.)

The park also has about 6 dark rides, which does bring up my one major concern. Many of the other Dubai parks have multiple dark rides, but only 1 or 2 of them in each park are noteworthy/good. An' when it comes to shooting dark rides, the only good ones in the area are Benno's Great Race in Ferrari World and Sholay in Bollywood. So with WB having the most dark rides out of all the parks in the area, that's a bit of risk of the quality of each one.

If WB Dubai can actually do a good job with all the dark rides, then they'll easily have a winner here. But that's a lot of dark rides you gotta' put some money and effort into.

Last edited:
I want to go just for Batman, it’s Dynamic Attractions’ First new Kuka robocoaster since the Harry Potter exclusivity expired.

Yeah, it marks the start of more attractions like it popping up internationally, with I think even China having a few in the works.

WBDubai looks good so-far, and I'm very interested about the end result, come July.

I want to go just for Batman, it’s Dynamic Attractions’ First new Kuka robocoaster since the Harry Potter exclusivity expired.

Oh yes, almost forgot this is a Kuka Arm dark ride. Speaking of potential, there's a boatload of it here since I feel the Kuka Arm dark ride has some serious untapped potential like a true trackless dark ride. While HPatFJ is a solid ride, however due to things like a weak ending...it doesn't come off like the gold standard of it's kind. (Unlike IJ for the EMV dark ride, WDW's ToT for the themed drop ride and Spider-Man for the 4D dark ride.)

I feel the bar can definitely be raised for the Kuka Arm dark ride, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

Oh yes, almost forgot this is a Kuka Arm dark ride. Speaking of potential, there's a boatload of it here since I feel the Kuka Arm dark ride has some serious untapped potential like a true trackless dark ride. While HPatFJ is a solid ride, however due to things like a weak ending...it doesn't come off like the gold standard of it's kind. (Unlike IJ for the EMV dark ride, WDW's ToT for the themed drop ride and Spider-Man for the 4D dark ride.)

I feel the bar can definitely be raised for the Kuka Arm dark ride, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

Even on IJA you sense the budget cuts towards the end, just like FJ.

Even on IJA you sense the budget cuts towards the end, just like FJ.

With IJA that's only really noticeable with the scrims in the dart room, the finale is still the boulder which is one heck of a illusion/impact. FJ on the other hand, even if you turned the lights back on/faced the dementors up above, the ride still ends with a meandering whimper.

From the pictures, the whole thing looks so cheap. Theme Parks don't work indoors if you're going for realism. Then again, I get that it's ridiculously hot in Dubai, so a temperature controlled climate will help keep guests happy.

Yeah, but I think Motiongate did this one better aesthetically. Indoor pavilions, yes, but not the entire park indoors. Even the flume..

Yeah, but I think Motiongate did this one better aesthetically. Indoor pavilions, yes, but not the entire park indoors. Even the flume..

I actually disagree, especially with how it can be something that easily attracts people into something more highly themed, without having to deal with heat, rain, and wind.

I actually disagree, especially with how it can be something that easily attracts people into something more highly themed, without having to deal with heat, rain, and wind.

People aren't spontaneously combusting when they walk outside. I still think a hybrid indoor/outdoor, especially when water rides are concerned, would be best.