Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WB presents Harry Potter Studio Tour

Time lapse video of the studio tour building going up:

[video=youtube;yuGlxsQvu6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuGlxsQvu6w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The Studio Tour is opening this Saturday, March 31st, and the Grand Opening event will be streamed live beginning 3pm UK time, 10am U.S. Eastern Time. The broadcast will be here: http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/grand...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=harrypotterstudio :thumbs:

MiceChat has a nice little trip report from the The Making of Harry Potter exhibit with a look around the new UK attraction that shows off the movie magic now on display for fans!

ivAvZnhTAJofi.jpg

iPzCpTymT0vp7.jpg

iUhhFBq824Tdi.jpg

ibmy1TvcstdvX6.jpg

ibwbbXqUMNbYkO.jpg

Oh my gosh, those faceless mannequins wearing the costumes are SO CREEPY!

It depresses me to think I may never get to see the studios in person.

Hypable reports that there is a new addition to the studio tour that guests can now experience.

Beginning tomorrow, August 31, visitors will be able to walk across an actual bridge used by cast members in the films.

The bridge, pictured above, was first built for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when director Alfonson Cuaron wanted something to connect Hogwarts with Hagrid’s Hut. The bridge then appeared in many films thereafter, like in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 when Neville taunts Voldemort’s Death Eaters.

The section of the bridge on the Studio Tour was the only part built to scale. “The rest was either built in miniature as part of the Hogwarts model or recreated through CGI (Computer Generated Imagery),” writes Warner Bros.

Their press release also noted that three more broom rigs will be added to the broomstick experience to help fulfill demand.

The Making of Harry Potter opened in March and has been a huge hit with Potter fans. You can purchase tickets at this link. A photo accompanied today’s announcement depicting fans on the bridge.

ibnuUMvp9Uuf2z.jpg

I had no idea we had this thread! But I went about two weeks ago, and it is an absolutely stunning experience. I know I'll get hate for this, but I do actually love it a tiny bit more than WWHP :look: It gives the same overwhelming feeling that everyone got walking into WWHP for the first time, but for every set which is there, the vast majority of which aren't replicated in Orlando. Plus the whole fact that they are the actual sets not replicas, that were used for filming, makes it feel all the more magical anyway. Also, aside from the sets, there are many really illuminating videos and written descriptions of various parts of the film-making process. As well as the sets and props, the art department and creature shop are fascinating, with all the models and concept drawings and prosthetics. Plus, you have not felt awe until you see the Hogwarts model. It is really one of the most astounding things I've seen... The detail is unimaginable, the sheer size is overwhelming and being able to see the final, actual layout of Hogwarts all together is really special. After the various buidlings and areas being shifted around and no real 'map' existing for so long, it feels fantastic to see it in full glory. To think they filmed every exterior aerial sequence on this huge thing is just amazing.

Also, I can confirm the Butterbeer is Universal's, complete with topping. I'm glad I can now get it an hour's drive away rather than a 4,000 mile flight, but I can't imagine Uni were very happy to give it up! I suppose faced with WB owning the rights they had no choice.

I had no idea we had this thread! But I went about two weeks ago, and it is an absolutely stunning experience. I know I'll get hate for this, but I do actually love it a tiny bit more than WWHP :look: It gives the same overwhelming feeling that everyone got walking into WWHP for the first time, but for every set which is there, the vast majority of which aren't replicated in Orlando. Plus the whole fact that they are the actual sets not replicas, that were used for filming, makes it feel all the more magical anyway. Also, aside from the sets, there are many really illuminating videos and written descriptions of various parts of the film-making process. As well as the sets and props, the art department and creature shop are fascinating, with all the models and concept drawings and prosthetics. Plus, you have not felt awe until you see the Hogwarts model. It is really one of the most astounding things I've seen... The detail is unimaginable, the sheer size is overwhelming and being able to see the final, actual layout of Hogwarts all together is really special. After the various buidlings and areas being shifted around and no real 'map' existing for so long, it feels fantastic to see it in full glory. To think they filmed every exterior aerial sequence on this huge thing is just amazing.

Also, I can confirm the Butterbeer is Universal's, complete with topping. I'm glad I can now get it an hour's drive away rather than a 4,000 mile flight, but I can't imagine Uni were very happy to give it up! I suppose faced with WB owning the rights they had no choice.

I have not done Potter yet, but I would glady never do it in exchange for that! To me thats the real deal

I went to this a couple of week ago and it is a must for any harry potter fan. My mum isn't really a big fan, she didn't know what the Gryffindor common room was *facepalm* but she had a great time despite only seeing 2 of the films. Me and my dad have seen them all + read the books and we had a awesome time. The website recommends 2-3 hours but of you are a big fan it can take much longer, it took us just under 5.5 hours. Also a warning if you are a big fan make sure you have plenty of room and battery on your camera, I was using my phone and it went flat as we were on our way back to the hotel when it usually has good battery due to the amount of photos I took. My dad also ran out of space on his camera at around 450 pictures. The audio guides are also a great addition to the tour as there isn't much to read as you go around the sets, and it being narated by Tom Felton (Malfoy) is a definute plus :dance: I don't think I can single out one part of the tour as my favourite as I loved all it although the creatures workshop and the model were probably some of my favourite places. I also love the face that they had models in the full costumes with wigs as having my photo taking next to bellatrix's dress was definitely a highlight :thumbs: If anyone is thinking of going I would recommend it even if you are not a hugh fan (like my mum) as it is still a great day out nonetheless.

The WB Studio Tour's official website has posted about the Holiday overlay that some of the sets will receive:

ENJOY OUR FESTIVE MAKEOVER!

From the December 1st the Studio Tour will undergo a seasonal makeover using the actual decorations and food props seen in the Harry Potter film series.

Over the Christmas period visitors will experience:

• The Great Hall decorated as it was for Christmas in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone™ with authentic decorations and eight Christmas trees
  • The long dining tables dressed as they were for the seasonal feasts with turkey, hams, fruit, vegetables, plum puddings, Christmas cakes and snow cakes
  • The Gryffindor common room, boys’ dormitory and Weasley kitchen after they have undergone a seasonal transformation
  • Secrets revealed behind the footprints in the snow, which were filmed for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban™ and appear when Harry sneaks into Hogsmeade under his Invisibility Cloak
  • A special festive trail around the attraction, hunting down the nine partridges which are missing from our Christmas trees
Our festive makeover ends on Sunday 6th January, limited tickets available, book your tickets today.

In miscellaneous Harry Potter in the UK related news, if you happen to be in London you might also want to check out "THE HARRY POTTER™ SHOP AT PLATFORM 9 ¾" located within Kings Cross station.

Press release:

THE HARRY POTTER™ SHOP AT PLATFORM 9 ¾ will officially open its doors to the public on Saturday, 15th December 2012 at 7:30 am.

Situated near the platform 9 ¾ trolley at London’s newly refurbished King’s Cross Station, the shop will sell items such as golden platform 9 ¾ collectible train tickets, wands, robes, uniforms and other collectibles in homage to the successful Harry Potter™ film franchise and book series.

THE HARRY POTTER™ SHOP AT PLATFORM 9 ¾ has been produced by Jonathan Sands (Founder and Chief Executive of London Film Museum) and partners, under license from Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

Speaking ahead of the launch of the shop just in time for Christmas 2012, Jonathan Sands of London Film Museum and Platform 9 ¾ K1ngs Cross Ltd said “ We are proud to be opening the official Harry Potter Shop at Platform 9 ¾ in association with Warner Bros. Consumer Products as this is precisely where Harry’s journey to Hogwarts began. King’s Cross Station has recently undergone the most amazing re-development and we are delighted to be a part of it thanks to Network Rail.”

Platform 9 ¾ K1ngs Cross Limited is the official Licensee and operator of the Harry Potter Shop at Platform 9 ¾ located at Unit 1, King's Cross Station, London N1 9AP. The shop will be open 7 days a week from 7:30am-10pm.

Video of the opening ceremony featuring actor Warwick Davis and store walkthrough:

[video=youtube;6dWEM-1BoqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWEM-1BoqE[/video]

Official images:

i6mkaeie9A7Dl.jpg

inf5REpbeS03v.jpg

ibtY6nXvtnWwZ6.jpg

iG7Zp4fAX7iBS.jpg

Additionally, Collider has posted an extensive photo gallery of the shop: http://collider.com/harry-potter-platform-9-34-shop-kings-cross-station-london/

ir8244OdWvBF8.jpg

ibeKpLCgUlTzU5.jpg

Last edited:
The Studio Tour is amazing, and honestly... Butterbeer is the only thing similar to WWOHP IMHO. It's a totally different flagon of narwhals.

Kate Middleton, Prince William, and Prince Harry recently visited the WB Studio Tour, where they were greeted by JK Rowling, producer David Heyman, and directors Mike Newell and David Yates.

Montage video of their visit:

[video=youtube;VizVDNSMWm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VizVDNSMWm0[/video]

Video of Kate and William learning to duel with their wands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4I_w0QEGw

Photos:

iOn9j62baOpGh.jpg

ifQrEXMeYh3sZ.jpg

i0fc1yTwG0Min.jpg

izD7SbmuZ3RQY.jpg

ibdVbXbr5chvLY.jpg

ibcN4khNZWxbQd.jpg

iCYOz9w47q3Tk.jpg

ibqlNx4KdjjTr4.jpg

Press release:

Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry cast spells, explored iconic sets and discovered the behind-the-scenes secrets of filmmaking as they visited Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter.

Spellbound children and parents from Their Royal Highnesses’ supported charities joined them and Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling as they relived the magic through the eyes of filmmakers who brought the Harry Potter film series to life.

Their Royal Highnesses stepped on to the flagstones of the Great Hall, the longest standing set from the Harry Potter film series, and The Duchess got the chance to measure up to the costume of half-giant Rubeus Hagrid. First built for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone in 2000, the Great Hall contains a house points system made up of tens of thousands of

Indian glass beads which caused a national bead shortage when built. During their visit, Their Royal Highnesses held a meeting with their charities on this iconic set.

Wands were raised for The Duke and Duchess as they took a wand combat lesson in the Gryffindor common room, using choreography from the Harry Potter film series. Wielding their wands, The Duke and Duchess sparred with each other.

Meanwhile, Prince Harry was surprised to see carrots chopping themselves in the Weasley kitchen, home to a number of household special effects including a self-ironing iron and self-washing frying pan. The set was designed to appear as though Mr. Weasley had built much of it himself so doors, windows and walls all sit at crooked angles.

Their Royal Highnesses reunited in Diagon Alley where they took part in a special effects demonstration. By pointing their wands, The Duke, The Duchess and Prince Harry were able to cast a spell which made the sign above Potage’s Cauldron Shop bang and flash as if by magic.

In the Studio Tour’s Wand Room – an area dedicated to the thousands of talented British cast and crew that worked on the film series – Their Royal Highnesses were presented with their own wands, hand-carved by prop- making expert Pierre Bohanna.

More can be found at Hypable, Mugglenet, and Snitch Seeker.