Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Web Slingers (DCA)

TPI suggested this might not be a ride at all considering the small footprint it's moving into in both resorts (former It's Tough To Be a Bug/Armageddon Special Effects Show spaces).

They're extending the showbuilding, and considering Secret Life of Pets isn't even going to be over .5 acres, it wouldn't make sense for WDI to cheapen on the likes of Spider-Man.

I just realized this is in the same park with freaking Toy Story Mania... Im not excited for this.

I know we have the benefit of hindsight, so my argument is moot, but if they were ever going to overlay ToT with a Marvel IP, Spider-Man seems like it should have been the obvious choice.

The whole falling from a tower (or within a tower) is a pretty big trope in Spider-Man movies, and even in Homecoming with elevator scene in the Washington monument. It translates very well to a drop tower attraction. On top of that, the facade wouldn’t look nearly as out of place as it does today, as there’s not a disconnect in storytelling since you’re not actually leaving earth.

Again, I have the benefit of hindsight, and at the time, the MCU’s iteration of Spider-Man was essentially an unknown beyond his small appearance in Civil War. But Disney, if you’re reading this and wondering how to implement Spider-Man into Hong Kong and Shanghai, this idea is yours for the taking!

Alrighty, so as mentioned before and elsewhere, for a while it feels like Disney really hasn't been taking advantage of the MCU in the parks. Besides the meet and greets in the parks which can feature the Heroes, ride-wise it's all been overlays so far. While overlays are not inherently a bad thing, it feels strange for a park to go the quick n' easy route for a IP that's raking in billions. (Then again, this is the same company which gave Frozen the overlay treatment.)

So now that they're finally doing a full-blown Marvel dark ride from the ground up...they're doing a shooting dark ride for a character who doesn't really fit with a shooting dark ride. :|

Yes, Spider-Man shoots webs from his web shooters. But he mainly shoots webs to swing, wrap and grab things, not constantly pepper a volley of shots to defeat the bad guys. Heck, when it comes to fighting he'll go into fisticuffs.

If you're going to do a shooting dark ride with a Marvel hero, go with Iron Man, War Machine, Hawkeye. They spend a whole lotta' time legitimately -shooting- the bad guys themselves. An since Disney is rolling with the Stark Industries angle, all the better to focus on them and not Spider-Man.

If you're gonna' do a Spider-Man dark ride, give me something to replicate swinging through New York. I know they had ideas for something practical, though no doubt the method for it was well...impractical. Now a Kuka arm, that would be the next best thing.

Either way, a Spider-Man shooting dark ride feels a bit misguided. Leading to the discussion/thought that WDI doesn't really get the character, nor know how to use him.
It’s like Power Rangers all over again, minus the overlays and rides.

I know we have the benefit of hindsight, so my argument is moot, but if they were ever going to overlay ToT with a Marvel IP, Spider-Man seems like it should have been the obvious choice.

The whole falling from a tower (or within a tower) is a pretty big trope in Spider-Man movies, and even in Homecoming with elevator scene in the Washington monument. It translates very well to a drop tower attraction. On top of that, the facade wouldn’t look nearly as out of place as it does today, as there’s not a disconnect in storytelling since you’re not actually leaving earth.

Again, I have the benefit of hindsight, and at the time, the MCU’s iteration of Spider-Man was essentially an unknown beyond his small appearance in Civil War. But Disney, if you’re reading this and wondering how to implement Spider-Man into Hong Kong and Shanghai, this idea is yours for the taking!

I really think they should have made the Tower the Sanctum Santorum and be Dr. Strange and each floor you stopped on could be a different dimension/realm/world :( think of how pretty the building would look

I feel like no matter what we were gonna be let down by another Spidey ride with how good IOAs is, but this just sounds like it’s not even gonnameet the lowered expectations I already had.

You’re crazy! MCU Spider-Man’s primary motivation of being an Avenger totally doesn’t undermine the entire basis of his character! /s
I mean, yeah, when you put it like that, the way they use him isn’t perfect. They had to introduce him into a world that had already existed for quite some time with no sign of Peter Parker or the web slinger actually existing himself.

To add on, there had been two prior live action portrayals of the character within a short period of time, so they needed to be unique so as not for this to feel repetitive and “just another Spider-Man”.

I mean, yeah, when you put it like that, the way they use him isn’t perfect. They had to introduce him into a world that had already existed for quite some time with no sign of Peter Parker or the web slinger actually existing himself.

To add on, there had been two prior live action portrayals of the character within a short period of time, so they needed to be unique so as not for this to feel repetitive and “just another Spider-Man”.

The PS4 Spider-Man game is a perfect representation of Spider-Man in a world already filled with the Avengers, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have worked around this aspect without giving Spidey fanboyism for the Avengers. MCU butchered the world around Spider-Man really bad for me. Of course, I do give Sony some fair share of the blame, but after Spider-Verse they're leaning on my good side. Far from Home already looks like a major facepalm, only thing that has my hyped is how beautiful Mysterio looks (one of my favorite underrated Spidey villains)

The PS4 Spider-Man game is a perfect representation of Spider-Man in a world already filled with the Avengers, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have worked around this aspect without giving Spidey fanboyism for the Avengers. MCU butchered the world around Spider-Man really bad for me. Of course, I do give Sony some fair share of the blame, but after Spider-Verse they're leaning on my good side. Far from Home already looks like a major facepalm, only thing that has my hyped is how beautiful Mysterio looks (one of my favorite underrated Spidey villains)
I agree the PS4 version far better done than the MCU version and the fanboy-ism is where the real weaknesses lie with.

Back to the attraction... Are we expecting Tom Holland to be involved at all or can Sony block something like that?

I agree the PS4 version far better done than the MCU version and the fanboy-ism is where the real weaknesses lie with.

Back to the attraction... Are we expecting Tom Holland to be involved at all or can Sony block something like that?

I would honestly think they would have Holland on-board, especially given their ability to seemingly do photography for the attraction, during film photography occurred (as was the case for MB, and seemingly Ant-Man & Wasp).

Not to mention what seems to be Sony's tone towards the future of the web slinger, it'd be stupid to hold back an appearance for an attraction.

I know it's too late for DCA, but maybe for other parks in the future. Imagine this. What if they made a ride featuring a suspended Kuka arm where the track is above you near the ceiling, the arm is say about 10 feet long which can simulate the pendulum of Spidey swinging side-to-side of buildings down a NY street. The ride could stop for a few moments while Spidey stays clung to the side of a building contemplating his next move. Is there any such ride system currently being used?

Everyone jumping to conclusions based on literally no info apart from someone's "i heard its gonna be like tsmm" lol
I don't like the idea of them using such an iconic character for something like a shooter dark ride. Spider-Man deserves a true E-ticket. Port over Ant-Man & the Wasp if they want a shooter ride (I know, I know... Ant-man is just a Buzz overlay).

Everyone jumping to conclusions based on literally no info apart from someone's "i heard its gonna be like tsmm" lol

In fairness, we're also basing our early thoughts on the official verbiage from Disney, as well, which almost seems to go out of its way to avoid describing the attraction in an exciting way.

In fairness, we're also basing our early thoughts on the official verbiage from Disney, as well, which almost seems to go out of its way to avoid describing the attraction in an exciting way.
Spider-Man is basically going to be the Millennium Falcon of the DCA Marvel Land. Iconic and probably what people will bolt to first, but the better ride will be the Avengers ride, much like how we expect RotR to be better than Falcon.

I don't like the idea of them using such an iconic character for something like a shooter dark ride. Spider-Man deserves a true E-ticket.

Who told you this wasn't a true e-ticket? Are e-tickets forbidden from having interactive elements?

Yeah, no. The verbiage used was exactly how they'd describe any attraction still 15+ months away.

Who told you this wasn't a true e-ticket? Are e-tickets forbidden from having interactive elements?
I mean, if you know something I don't and it's gonna be great, then cool - I want it to be great. I'll eat crow if the ride is top notch. I just personally don't have the faith right now based on what i'm hearing both from Disney and from the rumor mill.

Hopefully D23 will clarify this a bit.

Hopefully D23 will clarify this a bit.

Is it really not obvious that they're purposely being vague because they'll be revealing more at D23? People are interpreting the vagueness as "going out of its way to avoid describing the attraction in an exciting way." The fanboyism here is rampant and it's my job to shut that crap down lol.

Last edited: