What do you shoot with? | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ive read every review from here to Antarctica on these cameras :lol:

From all those articles Ive gathered this much so far.

Some Cons
Kit lens leaves something to be desired.
Noise is a little more an issue versus some of the big guns from the other companies but still better than my A55 by far at higher ISOs
Louder than normal shutter sound (I could care less about this)
Slower AF
Hardly any lenses available for them, you can get an adapter and use other lenses and still have AF but you will lose a stop of light and also IBIS

Pros
IQ is really good and is on par to FF from other brands
Usable higher ISO versus my A55
Smaller size so I wont have to lug around a huge body

With all that being said I am still in consideration of getting this in February possibly, I know I want to go FF but still am up in the air on what to do. I can also try and grab a body only A99 for around the same price as the A7 with a lens and still use some of my lenses now, although most are for crop sensors so would have to upgrade those over time also. But I would keep IBIS and not lose any light with an adapter. Also in play is the rumor of another Sony announcement around Jan-Feb and rumored to be some new full body FF and crop cameras, so might wait to she what those are also.

I had a friend who just picked up the A7 and returned it after using it for the weekend. He wasn't impressed with it and said for the cost he would rather get something else, which he did and ended up with a Canon 6D . But I do take his review with a grain of salt because he is know to flip flop cameras really fast and will jump from camera to camera and is never really happy with any of them :lol:

Mike, I think I'd keep an eye on the early 2014 announcements which should be an a77 replacement using the mirrorless tech of the NEX/a7 cameras in the full body style as well as a mirrorless a99 (FF), and possibly a third camera in between. That would give you the mirrorless advantages, full frame, and keep you in the A-mount/Minolta lens system. I'm personally a little bummed at the consistent slow focus comments regarding the a7/NEX line, so I'll probably forgo that Alpha body upgrade.

Mike, I think I'd keep an eye on the early 2014 announcements which should be an a77 replacement using the mirrorless tech of the NEX/a7 cameras in the full body style as well as a mirrorless a99 (FF), and possibly a third camera in between. That would give you the mirrorless advantages, full frame, and keep you in the A-mount/Minolta lens system. I'm personally a little bummed at the consistent slow focus comments regarding the a7/NEX line, so I'll probably forgo that Alpha body upgrade.

That was going to be the game plan going into the new camera market for me. I don't want to just settle on something for the sake of having something new and wanted to see what they came out with early next year. Im hoping for a mid range FF, something in between the A99 and A77 would be perfect as long as it had some respectable result with high ISo

My A55 isnt the fastest when it comes to AF so im curious to see how much the A7 does differ, might not even be noticeable to me if its close

Last edited:
For those interested in my camera purchase, I've practically decided on the Sony NEX-6 having read a number of glowing reviews.

Will be ordering from Amazon later for devilry before Christmas. Excited!

Definitely a solid choice on the NEX-6!

I get to pick up my shiny new a65 tomorrow morning! Hopefully the battery is at least half charged so I can go camp out and test it out with the Christmas parade at Magic Kingdom.

just received the 28mm 1.8 Minolta I ordered from ebay $198, used but in great shape, shipped from Japan. So far I am liking that it doesn't make feel claustrophobic, all though I have only done a few test shots.
Probably going to sell My 35mm 1.8 Sony alpha as seems there is really no need for it any longer.

just received the 28mm 1.8 Minolta I ordered from ebay $198, used but in great shape, shipped from Japan. So far I am liking that it doesn't make feel claustrophobic, all though I have only done a few test shots.
Probably going to sell My 35mm 1.8 Sony alpha as seems there is really no need for it any longer.

Funny, Im about to unload my Sony 35mm also but not sure what I will replace it with just yet. It served its purpose for the time I had it but its time to move on to something else. Id love to get that extra width on the 28 mm you just picked up but if I go full frame I 35mm will be fine but still want something more than the Sony. Looking forward to seeing some pics with it :thumbs:

I am just hoping it will be a little better at capturing scenes in the haunted houses I tour during the summer and then HOS/HHNs in the fall.

You ever mess around with the flash? I am horrible when it comes to flash photography but you might be able to get some better shots if you used that and a diffuser (if it is even allowed. But I know how tight the 35mm can get while walking around, it would almost be like comparing it to using a 50mm on dark rides, just not wide enough a lot of the time.

This is the lens im drooling over. I might possibly get this lens if I end up getting the A99 or what ever Sony announces in the coming weeks as far as FF goes. I could even still get it if I stick with a asp-c sensor and use it with that camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-340101-...qid=1388695525&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+35mm+1.4

You ever mess around with the flash? I am horrible when it comes to flash photography but you might be able to get some better shots if you used that and a diffuser (if it is even allowed. But I know how tight the 35mm can get while walking around, it would almost be like comparing it to using a 50mm on dark rides, just not wide enough a lot of the time.

This is the lens im drooling over. I might possibly get this lens if I end up getting the A99 or what ever Sony announces in the coming weeks as far as FF goes. I could even still get it if I stick with a asp-c sensor and use it with that camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-340101-...qid=1388695525&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+35mm+1.4

Yeah i can't imagine how tight the 50mm is.
While I would like it, I just can't justify that kind of money.

Between my tax refund and my bonus I usually fair pretty well. The kicker is just now a matter of how much my wife lets me spend for a new camera :lol:

Uhhhh without going to deep I'd say the ball is definitely in your court in terms of a camera update :thumbs:

Uhhhh without going to deep I'd say the ball is definitely in your court in terms of a camera update :thumbs:

You're not kidding. Just wait to see how much you get back once you file and add your little one, now imagine three :lol: I also deliberately have them take out more each paycheck so I get more back each year :happy: My wife gave me a $1,000 budget on a new camera but I might just have to go over that amount a tad :lol:

a99 :doggie:

That is one of the options. I have been watching them on Ebay and have seen them going for around $1,800 used so im hoping in the next month or two they drop a little since that is still a little pricey (and wife would shoot me). Also though there are rumors of some new A mount and E mount being announced pretty soon so might see what they do with those(really hoping for an entry level FF camera). I was really eye balling the new A7 but for $2,000 with the kits lens its a little high and not to mention is E mount when all my lenses are A. The one thing I liked about the A7 was the size, the A99 is a monster and would get really old carrying around all day at the parks.