What should I do? | Inside Universal Forums

What should I do?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 8, 2014
PC, Florida
This past weekend on the hulk, someone next to me was holding a go pro camera. The TM told him to put it away, which he did, then immediately pulled it out as we left the station and fumbled with it before launch. My basic instincts were to protect myself if he were to be unsure of his grip. Instead of enjoying the ride, I thought about how bad I was gonna kick his ass if he let go of that thing and hit me or anyone else with it. What can be done about this? I'm not a snitch, but this stuff really pisses me off. I mean, people have gotten seriously injured this way, and I'm wondering what's to be done when an amateur wants to video tape his ride on a roller coaster?

You tell a team member you couldnt enjoy the hulk because the kid was holding a gopro and you thought you were going to get hit. Get him in trouble, and ask to ride and again so you can enjoy it

I guess my real question is, does no one else care? Cause I'll just knock that sh** out of there hand and a TM can explain how they shouldn't have a camera on the ride in the first place.

Hudson, I think you bring up a really good question, and honestly I don't know what the right answer would be. Obviously the person shouldn't be doing anything unsafe like this but how and when would you actually be able to tell someone or do something. This is potentially the same reason why we lost Dueling Dragons. From some of the stories I've heard, I always have a bit of paranoia in the back of my head whenever I ride Space Mountain or Rockin Roller Coaster that something could potentially fly out of a pocket or the pouches.

I'm also curious about what people do for people skipping or smoking in the queues. Friday was apparently end of the year field trip for quite a few different schools, and I witnessed many people cutting lines, undoing queue ropes to go in front of people, and spitting off of the balconies on Popeye. Normally with people cutting the lines we just inflate our party a bit to block them, but it was extreme on Friday and in some parts no way to prevent it without a direct confrontation.

I guess my real question is, does no one else care? Cause I'll just knock that sh** out of there hand and a TM can explain how they shouldn't have a camera on the ride in the first place.

I'd say knocking it out of their hand is probably the worst thing you can do for yourself and the people behind you.

Reactions: AK-Jake
I'd say knocking it out of their hand is probably the worst thing you can do for yourself and the people behind you.

Yes, knocking the camera out of his hand would instantly become a guest situation. You have chosen to taken matters into your own hands and the guest would probably have a few words (and actions) for you. At that point you'd be at as much fault as them. Guests using GoPros and other technology is really up to the discretion and responsibility of the guests. TM's can only really insist that they don't ride with the camera before they have to just let them do it.

The TM knew about the camera, he let the guest ride. The ride has cams on it so they could see the dude. The park is responsible. Best thing you could do is go to guests relations and explain the situation. The other thing you could have done is tell the guy you are not comfortable him holding that thing and if he could store it again but that's it.

I was once on Popeye and 2 men with their kids where in the same boat, their wife's not on the ride probably didn't want to get wet.
One man had his expensive new Iphone in his hand. I told him politely the phone would be really wet so he was better off storing it under the seal in the middle. He waved me down. The other man was telling his friend to listen to me and it was clear that double couple vacation wasn't going well.
After you get released from the circular platform you take a dip under the bridge. The man rested the phone on his upper leg and held his hand over it. As soon as we dipped the boat took a huge amount of water. His leg, hand and phone disappeared under that wave and was ruined. The other man laughed his ass off. I said as dry as I could "I told you so..." man was he grumpy.

I once had it on the Hulk that they stopped the ride while it was already on the launch hill and announced that they would not re-start the ride until a person had completely put away his camera.

I was once on Popeye and 2 men with their kids where in the same boat, their wife's not on the ride probably didn't want to get wet.
One man had his expensive new Iphone in his hand. I told him politely the phone would be really wet so he was better off storing it under the seal in the middle. He waved me down. The other man was telling his friend to listen to me and it was clear that double couple vacation wasn't going well.
After you get released from the circular platform you take a dip under the bridge. The man rested the phone on his upper leg and held his hand over it. As soon as we dipped the boat took a huge amount of water. His leg, hand and phone disappeared under that wave and was ruined. The other man laughed his ass off. I said as dry as I could "I told you so..." man was he grumpy.

Well, that guy's just an idiot. Pretty sure I wouldn't hold my electronic devices on a water ride. Hell, my sneakers get damaged on that ride, nevermind my iPhone.

I once had it on the Hulk that they stopped the ride while it was already on the launch hill and announced that they would not re-start the ride until a person had completely put away his camera.

Happened the same to me once on Jimmy Neutron as well. They wouldn't start the ride until someone put their camera away.

I never became paranoid of being hurt on a coaster from someone dropping their belongings, but I'm pretty sure the TMs could have e-stopped the ride if they thought the guy with his GoPro was dangerous. That's probably what they should have done anyway. It's kind of difficult to say what you, as a guest, should do in a situation like that. Once you leave the station, it's a little too late.

Honestly, you, as an innocent guest, shouldn't do anything past informing a TM if able. You are not the authority, you are not the paid employee...If anything kindly ask the guest to do away with it for fear of being injured. But as someone said above, taking the "law", so to speak, into your own hands only worsens the situation.

Ok, over reaction. I'd never actually slap a camera out of someone's hand while being accelerated to 45 mph. I think I'll just add it to my theme park pet peeves. People stopping in the middle of a walkway, folks who don't know how to work the bag storage kiosks, and the next Martin Scorsese with the need to film his roller coaster ride.

I was at IOA. I was below the Hulk just standing there when all of the sudden a camera falls and completely gets destroyed on the floor.
If there was someone standing there it would have definitely hurt that person really badly. Probably make them bleed and everything.

But I am also curious like Ad0niS8 said about people breaking the rules of the park, What Can you do? if you snitch on them it can become an ugly argument and god knows what they will do. that could even start a fight.

Also, what does Universal do in a case where someone reports another person? will they do anything?

I was at IOA. I was below the Hulk just standing there when all of the sudden a camera falls and completely gets destroyed on the floor.
If there was someone standing there it would have definitely hurt that person really badly. Probably make them bleed and everything.

Aren't there nets there to prevent that? Not sure why the net didn't catch the camera.

Well...that's an awesome picture, we can forgive him :p