Why does Universal not release video from their original houses/own IPs? | Inside Universal Forums

Why does Universal not release video from their original houses/own IPs?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Back in the day they sold a DVD of all the houses and the event in general and I think they showed it on TV too (can't remember if it was the same one or a different one).

I'm a sucker for those videos that Disney used to sell so I made sure to buy that one when it came out.

You're talking about "Art of the Scare." It was a Travel Channel documentary they filmed in 2002. It gave you good shots of some of the houses (especially Screamhouse since that was the feature house that year), but there aren't any full walk throughs. Fun fact - I'm in it.

The casts ask about it almost every year, and basically boils down to Universal not wanting local haunts to "recreate" what they do. They're talk about protecting their own intellectual property, but that's what it boils down to. It's also why cast shirts require approval by management to ensure it doesn't feature something "uniquely Universal."

You're talking about "Art of the Scare." It was a Travel Channel documentary they filmed in 2002. It gave you good shots of some of the houses (especially Screamhouse since that was the feature house that year), but there aren't any full walk throughs. Fun fact - I'm in it.

The casts ask about it almost every year, and basically boils down to Universal not wanting local haunts to "recreate" what they do. They're talk about protecting their own intellectual property, but that's what it boils down to. It's also why cast shirts require approval by management to ensure it doesn't feature something "uniquely Universal."

Makes sense. Thank you!