Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 147 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't sell the Despicable Me attraction short. I am hearing some encouraging stuff about how it is turning out.

It is going to be a surprise hit. Sure it will have a lot of the basis of a motion base simulator cars that have been there since the start, but people are indeed selling short on how much of an upgrade this thing really is.

We are not only getting all new screen work, thematics throughout everything including a post show area. Then we are getting a bonus themed queue/preshow holding area before the preshow which will also be light years of an improvement that the old one was.

Think about how long The Simpsons took just to overlay most of Back To the Future. Now if we take a look at the Desipicable Me work with just one large theater more work is going into it, with a much bigger return. Those minions and the potential of a build your own minion are going to be such huge sellers.

I don't have a problem with a park like DAK adding Avatar. It would be the only non-Disney addition to the park and it isn't replacing anything significant. If DAK were to toss out Dinosaur or Kilimanjaro or keep adding lands/attractions non-Disney, then I would have a very very big problem. I'm sorry if I came off too strong. I get what you mean about "ride the movies. It just makes me sad for Universal that this is what they have to do for decent business.

I assume by "decent business" you mean extraordinarily awesome-tastic business that provides them with the funds needed to create new/update current rides?

Can you all imagine the UC meetings over the past 2-8 years? All of us have gone our merry way working at our jobs or at school etc etc. But there are a few UC people that have been wracking their brains on potter, potter, potter. Imagine the artwork and pitches, the ideas that have been put forth and shot down or jumped on only to be shot down later. Imagine the leap to pushing potter to the studios... and having a train transport. So, just imagine 8 years of meetings and drawing your heart out for one project.

I imagine the first years were the hardest. Now, they know what they did/can do and can carry that confidence into Phase 2/3. Also, they have a blank slate to work with now and probably have the chance to be more creative with London and Diagon Alley.

I'm sure it's still stressful, but I'm sure Universal Creative folks on this project are having more fun than Joe Rohde who spent the last few years working on a DVC resort..

Does anyone even know that Potter is replacing Jaws, because as far as I am aware it hasn't even been confirmed or any hints even given. Just because they seem to happen at the same time doesn't mean it will be the site for it.

I know a lot of people already know this information but I don't think it hurts to bring it up again. For those who still can't understand why Potter is coming read these. If you still don't understand read it again. If still not then either your to young to understand financial gains and appeasing stockholders or your just being ignorant. I just can't understand how anyone could claim there sales numbers "decent." Anyone who knows anything about operating profit, cash flow, guest spending and so on look at these numbers in awe. Regardless of how things were before, the fact is Potter turned around an entire resort and for the better on such an extreme level. I could go on and on but again just read these, there called facts. Not opinions, not emotional connections, or close minded pointless dribble just facts.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...l-officer-michael-angelakis-universal-orlando

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...versal-orlando-wizarding-world-guest-spending

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...al-parks-resorts-wizarding-world-nbcuniversal

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_hogsmeade-forbidden-journey-wizarding-world

Reactions: AcidPop
Does anyone even know that Potter is replacing Jaws, because as far as I am aware it hasn't even been confirmed or any hints even given. Just because they seem to happen at the same time doesn't mean it will be the site for it.

It was rumored years ago, and there has already been an announcement that an expansion is coming.

Here you go, the site that connected the dots:

http://hhnrumors.com/?a=148

In summary, permits for Jaws demolition were given the project name of "Project 722". A Linked-In search of Project 722 revealed many people involved with WWoHP Phase 1, the Potter films, and Universal Project 722.

By "decent business" I meant the parks' combined post-potter intake was less than MK. It was great for them. Decent in the grander scheme.

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating:

Per guest spending (big concern for Disney)
Off-site attendance
Return on investment

Uni is giving Disney a run for their money in all those areas, and winning in per guest spending.
True, Disney is able to maintain a 70-80% occupancy rate, but what scares them is the number of those guests who are taking one or more days to visit other properties. That number is higher than ever before.

Also, more guests are making Uni a priority during their Orlando stay. Disney isn't the "hot" property in town right now. And likely won't be until they find a way to top what Uni has done with HP.

All of this concerns the Disney "powers that be" more more than a little. Like it or not.

The point continues to be missed.
Forget comparing total numbers between Disney and Universal. It's apples and oranges, like comparing GM to Porsche.

As said before, it's the lost revenue that is causing Disney a headache. Lost from merchandise, food and beverage, and tickets. Where guests used to buy, say, a five day hopper, now they may get a three day in order to spend those other two days at Uni.
It may not sound like much, but trust me, it adds up to a huge headache for the suits.

This whole thing is happening because Uni built a great land with a cutting-edge ride, all based on the most popular franchise of this century. Disney had a chance to do it, and reap all the benefits, but they passed. Regret it? You bet they do. As I said before, its the whole reason they got into the Avatar business.

Also, it isn't just Potter they are fighting. As said earlier, they are losing the PR battle, as well. Disney is, like it or not, stuck with an image problem. They aren't the "cool" destination at this point. They are gonna have to confront their "kiddie" image at some point.

These come from someone who has very good/high ranking contacts within both companies.

That exactly is the issue. Anything you can buy at WDW you can buy at Walmart or your Disney Store for less.

Universal Orlando has made their stores, merchandise, food and beverage unique enough that you find yourself opening your wallet every time you are on property.

As a Premier Annual Pass Holder at Universal and a Premium Annual Pass Holder at WDW I find myself spending money at Universal and not Disney. Since I have gotten my Premier AP at Universal I have spent over 400.00 on Butter Beer (thank you Mint.com lol) That is ludicrous, and insane. But when family, friends, work associates are intown, I can't help but take them to Universal and buy everyone a round or two of Butter Beer.... Why? Because it is an experience you can only have at 1 place on the planet!

I find myself hard pressed to find an experience at WDW that is unique like that.

No, Knockturn should be hidden away as a small passageway with various facades, in my opinion. Just like that little alley between Honeydukes and Three Broomsticks.

I mean't has it actually been confirmed that is replacing Jaws. As it could just be the timing for some other expansions or other reasons, that caused them to shut down Jaws.

There's been no official announcement, but given the timing,rumors, and members on this forum who have some connections it's a pretty good bet that Potter is a lock for Amity.

I mean't has it actually been confirmed that is replacing Jaws. As it could just be the timing for some other expansions or other reasons, that caused them to shut down Jaws.

Again, here you go, the site that connected the dots:

http://hhnrumors.com/?a=148

In summary, permits for Jaws demolition were given the project name of "Project 722". A Linked-In search of Project 722 revealed many people involved with WWoHP Phase 1, the Potter films, and Universal Project 722.

Status
Not open for further replies.