Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame there's no riddles this time :D

Would be nice when they're thinking of having this done by as that would probably affect which is the next year we visit Florida.

I think that Poseidon's Fury would make an awesome Chamber of Secrets walkthrough. Start in bathroom have the room with the big circular door be the room with door with the snake on it that Harry opens and have the finale room show Harry fighting and killing the basilisk.

The industry is WAY more complicated then that Vyrus and the number of companies too vast. Specialty contractors won major packages from Uni (huge packages that included many things they don't even do) and their subcontractors either bid too low or just made piss-poor business decisions. FACT: In the end, many of the things you see in the WW were passed on and on from later defunk subcontractor to subcontractor AND, in the end, even though the final sub finished the project... they too went out of business.

Indeed, some of the stuff that was completed by the subcontractors were rejected by Uni and then had to be reworked by the contractor that never specialized in that area of art in the first place. It was nasty, and many of the artists that created what is currently on view visited not recognizing that which they thought was finished. Sorry to go on so, but I find all of this fascinating.

I find it fascinating as well, and I would love to work in the theme park business programming rides and whatever else needed. It does seem like a cutthroat business though too because didn't Uni lay off have of their Creative dept once WW was done as wel?

Its a shame that so many good people are out of jobs.

I find it fascinating as well, and I would love to work in the theme park business programming rides and whatever else needed. It does seem like a cutthroat business though too because didn't Uni lay off have of their Creative dept once WW was done as wel?

Its a shame that so many good people are out of jobs.

I thought it sad too before I realized that it is the nature of the beast. 260 million dollar projects are uncommon even in central Florida and DO come to an end after all. All of them were hired as 3-5 year temporary employees and while many might have hoped to be kept on as sometimes happens, many more are sent packing.

I am sure contractors such as Nassal laid off a bunch of people when WW was finished.

It is best to think off all of the incredible experience the hundreds of artists and engineers garnered on this massive project. Having the WW on your resume can't hurt at all!

I thought it sad too before I realized that it is the nature of the beast. 260 million dollar projects are uncommon even in central Florida and DO come to an end after all. All of them were hired as 3-5 year temporary employees and while many might have hoped to be kept on as sometimes happens, many more are sent packing.

I am sure contractors such as Nassal laid off a bunch of people when WW was finished.

It is best to think off all of the incredible experience the hundreds of artists and engineers garnered on this massive project. Having the WW on your resume can't hurt at all!

Nope thats for sure, its good to have around especially when the second phase of the WW starts getting into gear :lol:

I can imagine the interview:

UO: What experience do you have?
Contracter: (points out the window at Hogworts) That.

:lol:

I think that Poseidon's Fury would make an awesome Chamber of Secrets walkthrough. Start in bathroom have the room with the big circular door be the room with door with the snake on it that Harry opens and have the finale room show Harry fighting and killing the basilisk.

We already go into the Chamber of Secrets in FJ.

We already go into the Chamber of Secrets in FJ.

And the Magic Kingdom already has a Princess, why do they need more? If UC and UO ops think it is what the people want more of then they just might get it. Please don't rule something out because a wisp of it already exists. Olivanders already exists so we must believe Diagon Alley never will?

It's a theme park... open your mind! :wave:

And the Magic Kingdom already has a Princess, why do they need more? If UC and UO ops think it is what the people want more of then they just might get it. Please don't rule something out because a wisp of it already exists. Olivanders already exists so we must believe Diagon Alley never will?

It's a theme park... open your mind! :wave:

The Ollivanders in the park is a Hogsmeade branch as approved by JKR. Another CoS would not make sense. Not that I wouldn't like to have it, I'm just being realistic.

Last edited:
The Ollivanders in the park is a Hogsmeade branch as approved by JKR. Another CoS would not make sense. Not that I wouldn't like to have it, I'm just being realistic.

You want sense from your theme parks? If so, then I cannot argue that you want it. I can argue that you will never get it. People do not go to theme parks for common sense and pragmatism. Look at your statement above, "I'm just being realistic.". People come to Central Florida for just the opposite!!! Really Manta, people don't want "realistic" when visiting the theme parks here... they want contrived fantasy beyond compare. As a resident, I think we do that pretty darned well at that, and will only fail when we discount an idea because it "doesn't make sense". (hammering home) Again, Central Florida does not make sense and that is why it is so successful.

But haven't Universal/Warner Bros./JK shown that they do want WWoHP to make sense, as much as possible? Aside from a little stretching here and there they have tried very hard to make the land feel authentic and in line with canon. For example: the basilisk in FJ is dead. It would have been much more exciting for it to be alive and attack us but it didn't make sense, because in the books, the basilisk dies very early on. So there is evidently some line that the designers didn't want to cross.

You want sense from your theme parks? If so, then I cannot argue that you want it. I can argue that you will never get it. People do not go to theme parks for common sense and pragmatism. Look at your statement above, "I'm just being realistic.". People come to Central Florida for just the opposite!!! Really Manta, people don't want "realistic" when visiting the theme parks here... they want contrived fantasy beyond compare. As a resident, I think we do that pretty darned well at that, and will only fail when we discount an idea because it "doesn't make sense". (hammering home) Again, Central Florida does not make sense and that is why it is so successful.

You took "realistic" way too literally. :lol: If I really wanted realistic, wizards wouldn't be in Orlando and I would never have rode a flying ray. What I meant is exactly what Roxy91 said. In the "real" world of HP, there are not two different Chambers.

Well it could be a different entrance in or maybe involve a portkey from there into Hogwarts or maybe through the vanishing cabinet in Borgin and Burkes. So that although its in a different area it still seems like there is only one.

That and what what we would have would be a challenge of getting original actors back and them being at an incredibly wrong age for those events of the stories to take place.

In other words, not going to happen. Many of the actors said they are done playing the characters. I know money can change things, but not only would they be a waste as a way different age than what they filmed the movies at and where chronologically the age they were at when filming those.

Potter is at its peak in popularitiy. It is not a fad that will die out quickly that is for sure and its legends will be around for a long while, but it is not likely at all to become more popular. Therefore what we have now as far as main attractions is what we are going to get.

Potter is at its peak in popularitiy. It is not a fad that will die out quickly that is for sure and its legends will be around for a long while, but it is not likely at all to become more popular. Therefore what we have now as far as main attractions is what we are going to get.

I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I'll have a plate of crow ready for you in a few years when the new part of WW opens.:lol:

Phase 2 is happening, anyone can see that, its been part of the rumors since before the current WW has been built.

It will happen. UO will not pull the plug on phase 2 like WDW likes to on any of their additional phases.

That and what what we would have would be a challenge of getting original actors back and them being at an incredibly wrong age for those events of the stories to take place.

In other words, not going to happen. Many of the actors said they are done playing the characters. I know money can change things, but not only would they be a waste as a way different age than what they filmed the movies at and where chronologically the age they were at when filming those.

You wouldn't need them for a Gringott's mine coaster or Florean Fortescue's or any other part of Diagon Alley.

I'm not too sure about this rumor... but I can almost promise you that there won't be a Diagon Alley. They wouldn't put two village/shopping type areas within distance of each other, for many obvious reasons, and I don't think JK will approve. And plus, most of the shops that are supposed to be in Diagon Alley are already in Hogsmeade. And I kind of agree with Splatter. Lets get real here...

I'm fine with the way it currently is, and the only expansion I'd want (larger, improved, interactive queue for Forbidden Journey) will NEVER happen. So... If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, the world will keep spinning.

I'm not too sure about this rumor... but I can almost promise you that there won't be a Diagon Alley. They wouldn't put two village/shopping type areas within distance of each other, for many obvious reasons, and I don't think JK will approve. And plus, most of the shops that are supposed to be in Diagon Alley are already in Hogsmeade. And I kind of agree with Splatter. Lets get real here...

Actually, they aren't. We don't have a "spell book" shop (Selling all kinds of different literature in the park), we don't have an ice cream parlor (Honeydukes is candy), and I think everyone agrees two wand shops would definitely be an improvement, eliviating crowds. We don't have a "Wizard Bank" attraction, we don't have a quidditch supplies shop (an opportunity to spread out crowds would be great like this!), and we don't have a train ride, or a ministry of magic. Leaky Cauldron would be very cool... And as long as the experience wasn't cheapened (adding new attractions and shops that differ in design from Hogsmeade) J.K. Rowling would probably very much approve of an expansion.

However, I don't think it will happen in this timeframe. It will more than likely happen in a few years. My ideas are large and probably wouldn't happen. I expect a possible takeover of LC with things similar to those previously mentioned, or a simple touch up (adding interactive wands, adding little details, etc.). The latter is far more likely as it would require less money and allow them to advertise simple things such as "Real magic! Use a wand that chooses YOU in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!" as it shows kids using the wingardium leviosa spell on something in the WWoHP. That would be a very neat add on.

Status
Not open for further replies.