Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 559 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really thought FJ was "intense". 2 of those dementors always scare the shookie out of me but its more of an exciting ride. Not really intense. I really hope Gringotts is fast because this "whole family" deal and 3D thing have me a bit worried.

I think everyone should stop hating on the dragon, until we can actually see it. You never know, it could be really incredible.

I'm thinking it will probably just blow smoke, as fire will be too expensive, not to mention difficult to maintain.

It's nice to see some surprises that even the most "knowledgable" people on the board are taken back by...

The thing is phase 1 is really immersive. It doesnt make sense for Diagon Alley to have a huge dangerous dragon on top of the back and we're all walking around like there is nothing to worry about. Im probably just being a HP stickler but It just has no reason to be there. And I agree with what someone else said about there being too many dragons. There are so many mythical creatures in the world of HP. Trolls, centaurs, Death Eaters, Giants, etc. Oh well im sure whatever is done I will thoroughly enjoy as a huge HP nerd

I never really thought FJ was "intense". 2 of those dementors always scare the shookie out of me but its more of an exciting ride. Not really intense. I really hope Gringotts is fast because this "whole family" deal and 3D thing have me a bit worried.

FJ is SUPER intense for a lot of the population due to the simulator and close quarters nature of the attraction.

Gringotts will be exciting. Not intense.

My understanding is that Gringotts coaster will have mild coaster sections blended with Forbiden Journey-like surround screen scenes that can be more intense because it wont involve as much physical movement. I sure hope the rumor about the section of track that drops like Verbolten is true.... THAT alone would be worth the ride.

And I completely agree about Coupe mentioning only the first time Harry visits Gringotts, there was nothing exciting about that, except the chunk of change in the vault.

Last edited:
Everyone won't be able to enjoy Gringott's and therefore it won't be kiddie. I say this time and time again, people always jump to the kiddie conclusion when they hear family. I was surprised to see it would have a lower height restriction since Uni is not known for thinking about this. So it is nice that they are thinking about this. I am thinking 42 or 44 inches, rival space mountain type of ride. HE will have no height restriction, so that will be there everyone can ride it. Which Uni needs more rides like this. I have been saying for a long time they can make awesome family rides and it looks like they are finally doing it.

Everyone won't be able to enjoy Gringott's and therefore it won't be kiddie. I say this time and time again, people always jump to the kiddie conclusion when they hear family. I was surprised to see it would have a lower height restriction since Uni is not known for thinking about this. So it is nice that they are thinking about this. I am thinking 42 or 44 inches, rival space mountain type of ride. HE will have no height restriction, so that will be there everyone can ride it. Which Uni needs more rides like this. I have been saying for a long time they can make awesome family rides and it looks like they are finally doing it.

I didn't just hear "family." I also heard "everyone." That's a pretty inclusive thing to say. "Whole family" and "everyone" to me includes my toddler and my grandma (quite the typical vacation group for central Florida). Maybe that's not what he meant, but that's what he said. Now he also said they would "be able to enjoy" it. Including scary monsters and intense imagery doesn't preclude anyone from being "able" to enjoy it. Many people may hate it, or kids can be terrified by it, but it doesn't mean they weren't "able" to enjoy it. Height restictions on the other hand....

My understanding is that Gringotts coaster will have mild coaster sections blended with Forbiden Journey-like surround screen scenes that can be more intense because it wont involve as much physical movement. I sure hope the rumor about the section of track that drops like Verbolten is true.... THAT alone would be worth the ride.

And I completely agree about Coupe mentioning only the first time Harry visits Gringotts, there was nothing exciting about that, except the chunk of change in the vault.

Everyone keeps referring to Harry's first visit to Gringotts as very boring... Are we all forgetting that in the book, Hagrid got motion sickness from the nature of the ride? I feel like we're just thinking of the movie (which featured no footage of the actual ride into the vaults).
I feel like a mild thrill level will be fine for this, Gringotts is a wizarding bank, which has a lot of protections in place to keep thieves out, but normal wizards (ie, people) can ride the mine without a problem most of the time...

Was reading everything yesterday but didn't have the time to write anything; I'm glad this is finally announced! I'm also fully in support of Gringotts being more family-friendly - I love intense rides but there are still some members of my family who haven't been on FJ after multiple trips because of the intensity. It seems a shame to exclude a decent proportion of guests from such an exciting and immersive experience just because the ride is too intense. With FJ, and I'm sure Gringotts, the ride shouldn't need to be intense. That isn't what its about.

my feeling is that the only reason GB wouldn't be instense is because FJ is too intense for a lot of people. You are almost upside down at one point.

Im just surprised that Universal would make a tame ride, as most of their rides are on the more thrilling side.

my feeling is that the only reason GB wouldn't be instense is because FJ is too intense for a lot of people. You are almost upside down at one point.

Im just surprised that Universal would make a tame ride, as most of their rides are on the more thrilling side.

I agree - it's outside of the typical Universal MO. There's a reason that Universal is known as the 'big kids park' to many in the general public. I feel like this sort of in between experience could definitely help Universal reach a new audience.

I agree - it's outside of the typical Universal MO. There's a reason that Universal is known as the 'big kids park' to many in the general public. I feel like this sort of in between experience could definitely help Universal reach a new audience.

Yeah, it shocked me because it was outside their MO and while I feel they need more family friendly rides, their latest additions weren't proving that. So I am very happy to hear this. They can be the thrill park and still have rides like this. I think even the thrill seekers enjoy some less thrilling, but immersive rides (HM is a good example). Which I believe HE and Gringott's will be this. I do think he did not really mean everyone, because I still have got to think there will be some kind of height restriction on this thing. But then again there is a drop in Pirates and there is no height restriction.,

I can understand why everybody's getting a little worried when it's said that this will be family friendy. I think why this is so concerning is because in the movies, Gringotts is portrayed as a thrilling and dynamic adventure through the vaults. So, when family friendly is used to describe the attraction, it can be very difficult to achieve what is seen on screen.

I can understand why everybody's getting a little worried when it's said that this will be family friendy. I think why this is so concerning is because in the movies, Gringotts is portrayed as a thrilling and dynamic adventure through the vaults. So, when family friendly is used to describe the attraction, it can be very difficult to achieve what is seen on screen.

Agreed. Exactly. And since most guests will only have seen the movies I believe the designers lean more towards what is seen in them as inspiration for their work.

Rides can be both thrilling and family friendly! I count Space Mountain, BTM, Spiderman, even Everest as attractions that can "thrill" most members of the family (age 6 to 66).

So I hope Gringotts falls into this definition of "thrilling family" attraction.

I wasn't in Orlando during the opening of phase 1, but will be for phase 2. Does anyone know how Universal handled the crowds on opening day for phase 1? I assumed they did something similar to what they do during peak season and give out cards letting people know what time they can enter the Harry Potter section of the park... I really want to brave the crowds and go on opening day for phase 2. I know Universal could do something different regarding the crowds, but would like to know the details of what they did in the past.

I wasn't in Orlando during the opening of phase 1, but will be for phase 2. Does anyone know how Universal handled the crowds on opening day for phase 1? I assumed they did something similar to what they do during peak season and give out cards letting people know what time they can enter the Harry Potter section of the park... I really want to brave the crowds and go on opening day for phase 2. I know Universal could do something different regarding the crowds, but would like to know the details of what they did in the past.

this is how it was handled. all the way USF and into citywalk.
54408252.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.