Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 647 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
With Springfield being completed, is construction on Diagon Alley expected to pick up? I am planning on going to Orlando next November (2014). While I have read that it should be open well before then, I just want to make sure.

^ I appreciate your sig andrew!

Bob ole boy, I had a question that came to mind today because of the hotel/condo sinking into the ground west of WDW on 192. Have you ever heard of major projects doing ground penetration work to evaluate the substrate beforehand? I doubt that such tech was available back in 1970 when the MK was built. Or was it?

If there is no good way to test for future sink holes, it kind of leaves the possibility that MK's castle or Main Street USA could succumb to such an incident at any moment. Wouldn't that be news worthy.

Last edited:
^ First, you have to remember that most of my commercial construction experience is from up north. That being said I have worked on large commercial infrastructure jobs that have done deep test pits and used ground penetrating RADAR to verify site stability before committing to a location. I have also been on jobs that had core samples taken for the same reason.

I think that the Florida subsurface topography would lend itself to core samples as a fairly reliable way to predict ground movement and displacement. Keeping that in mind, the aquifer is really just a big maze and water will always find the route of least resistance and can displace a large volume of material during that process and in a relatively short period. The movement of material combined with the inherently unstable limestone structure beneath us can cause a sinkhole at any time and almost any location. Can they be predicted? IMO, not in all instances. Can you increase you odds of building on relatively stable ground, maybe.

. . . phew

Keeping that in mind, the aquifer is really just a big maze and water will always find the route of least resistance and can displace a large volume of material during that process and in a relatively short period.

Thanks. I found logic in the fact that where there was no aquifer or unstable ground 40 years ago doesn't mean there isn't a massive thin ceilinged cavern today.

Robert Niles on TPI has a nice podcast tonight concerning the Harry Potter expansions. While most of the info has previously been discussed on OU, there is some new info in which he gives a scene by scene account of the Gringotts attraction.

Robert Niles on TPI has a nice podcast tonight concerning the Harry Potter expansions. While most of the info has previously been discussed on OU, there is some new info in which he gives a scene by scene account of the Gringotts attraction.

Good stuff, but I wish he knew how to pronounce Diagon.

I have a "feeling" some of the plans he has are a little older as numerous changes to the project have been made. I'm willing to bet that Dragon isn't on top of Gringotts isn't on his plans... Again this is great info and is very very telling in many ways but some things have changed I'm pretty sure.

Thought you all might like to know that one of the "trains" (or section of one) has arrived.

EDIT: Let's try that again...

tumblr_lnm804yPw91qbopag.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.