Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 120 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You all are amazing at imagination. However, you seem to forget the cost vs. Return on investment.
All of the wizards and witches in Universal Creative still must work within the confines of muggle money-sense.
The only reasonable expansion at this time will be into Lost continent, for it truly is lost on the average visitor
Imagine how much it would cost to actually build and maintain a Hogwart's express.
Let's come back to reality and reign in our broomstick flying for a bit.

Actually, their best investment would be to expand into the other park, regardless of having a Hogwarts Express to connect both Wizarding Worlds or not. It would mean more revenue for them as there would be more admission tickets sold at the Studios and more spending at the Studios' WWoHP attraction and in general at the park. Even the placement of the new WWoHP in Jaws means that a park-goer would have to cross half of the Studios to get to it, and you can count on many people and their kids buying snacks and merchandise along the way before they even reach WWoHP 2.0.

The Hogwarts Express idea is a stretch because, as we've been discussing, the "backstage" is there and those service roads are needed for the parks to operate. We're just speculating, but I think there is a possibility that they will create a medium of transportation between both WWoHP parts, if they wanted to spend on it and create an elevated track so the service roads would be unaffected. But to be honest, I'm 50 - 50 on the idea right now. It might be an unnecessary cost; it's not needed to have both parks connected, it would just be an added convenience for the park-goer and maybe an additional ride/attraction apart from being a medium of transport. It all depends on one thing: if Universal sees this as necessary and as a good investment.

Last edited:
PT Barnum always said that it didn't matter what people were saying about you, as long as they're talking.
So, I shall let ya'll dream without pointing out the small details that make such an expansion impractical and does not provide sufficient return on investment.
Perhaps they could build a full roller coaster ride based on broom travel betwen the two lands.
But I know, I would not want to be the TM that has to explain that a guest cannot ride unless they have a 2Park ticket.

PT Barnum always said that it didn't matter what people were saying about you, as long as they're talking.
So, I shall let ya'll dream without pointing out the small details that make such an expansion impractical and does not provide sufficient return on investment.
Perhaps they could build a full roller coaster ride based on broom travel betwen the two lands.
But I know, I would not want to be the TM that has to explain that a guest cannot ride unless they have a 2Park ticket.

1. Let's get it straight that no one is talking about you, or any person. We're discussing the expansion and people's opinions, not people.
2. Why not give your thoughts about why you think such expansion doesn't make sense to you? Discussion is what we're here for!
3. I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but actually the broom concept would be fun. The only problem would be that you'd be looking into the backlot and service roads which would not be themed. An enclosed ride such as a train ride, which could be a tram with screens for windows, would work better because you would not see the outside and lose the theming and the magic. But that's just a fun concept we're making up. I already mentioned the transportation between the two lands is not necessary, just a convenient option for the park goer that we're speculating on, and probably won't happen.
4. Neither would I! That's why I'm not so sure the train ride, as fun and cool as it could be, would be a good idea ultimately.

The first was the single most successful theme park expansion of all time.

I don't think return on investment is a problem.

Well, I guess we have all been told. I am so jealous that you are the only person on this website that knows the design and financing details of Universal Creative and Comcast. So sad that 99.9% of the users of this forum are dumb as a turd. Thank goodness we have you here to tell us how it will all play out. We look forward to your posting of engineering plans for Phase II.

Reactions: Felipe
Well, I guess we have all been told. I am so jealous that you are the only person on this website that knows the design and financing details of Universal Creative and Comcast. So sad that 99.9% of the users of this forum are dumb as a turd. Thank goodness we have you here to tell us how it will all play out. We look forward to your posting of engineering plans for Phase II.

She just got served with a side of Pork Fried SNAP!

Im here to shed some hope to some hopeless and give some doubt to the doubters.

There is a very popular park that actually has the train crossing alot of their backstage area, and running right along side it at times... This park is owned by blackstone. They get around it by placing simple railroad crossings, even back stage. and since backstage service roads are generally a bunch of people doing a whole lot of nothing just trying to get from point a to b, I see no logical reason why a "hogwarts express simulator" wouldnt, couldnt or should work... It's all a matter of how much they choose to invest...

Im here to shed some hope to some hopeless and give some doubt to the doubters.

There is a very popular park that actually has the train crossing alot of their backstage area, and running right along side it at times... This park is owned by blackstone. They get around it by placing simple railroad crossings, even back stage. and since backstage service roads are generally a bunch of people doing a whole lot of nothing just trying to get from point a to b, I see no logical reason why a "hogwarts express simulator" wouldnt, couldnt or should work... It's all a matter of how much they choose to invest...

For that matter, so does MK and DAK.

On the subject of if expanding the Wizarding World into USF or keeping it all in IOA I think the biggest reason Universal might expand it into USF is because it will give the biggest return on investment. From a business perspective the idea is not only a genius idea but it will be the first time anything like the sort will have every been done.

Lets look at some examples. Last year IOA saw a 30% increase in customers. USF only saw an increase of 6%. What that translates to is in 2010 24% of new vistors ONLY came to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IOA. A small minority of them stuck around for more then 1 day to see Universal Studios Florida or even fewer bought a 1 day/park to park ticket to see the entire resort.

Now the Wizarding World is incredible. However theres not enough there to fill the Entire day (unless your a die hard HP fan). The majorty of park guest likely spent 1/4 - 1/2 of there day in the Wizarding World and then spent the rest of there time exploring the rest of IOA. There were also people who only visited potter and left IOA after being there for a few short hours because the Wizarding World is all they wanted to see. Sad to see people who are willing to pay full price to see only 1/7th of a park in my opinion but i'm sure Universal doesn't care as they just see the $$$ signs from it. Those who spent there entire day at IOA though were likely to spread there money around buying merchandise and food in other sections of the park in addition to what they had already bought at the Wizarding World.

If you own a resort as large as the Universal Orlando Resort you don't want nearly 25% of your new vistors only going to only one of your parks. You want them to see everyting you have to offer. And you want them to spend more then 1 day doing it. And if you can get them to stay more then 1 day your also likely getting to stay at one of your on site hotels and there likely only eating at your Restaurants.

Thats why to me it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to expand your most popular franchise into both of the parks in your resort. If the original Wizarding World was able to draw 30% more people in a 6 month period then they will likely all come back for an expansion in USF. And when there done seeing the newest addition on USF they won't likely won't end the Universal portion of there trip. They will ether buy a 1 day multi-park ticket or spend more then 1 day at the resort to see the original Wizarding World as well.

If people are buying two day tickets to see the entire Harry Potter Experiance then they will likely spend more then half of there time in the rest of the park areas as well (except for once again the die hard HP fans who may spend all of there time in the HP sections). With two major draws that means that crowds are being distributed amoung the entire resort, on site hotels are being filled, and merchandise and food is being bought in all sections of both parks.

So in the end its an win-win for Universal Orlando Resort. With a major draw like you accomplish your end goal. That being making the Entire Resort successful. Instead of one Theme Park.

Please tell me if the expansion only takes place in IOA (which I personally would rather see) how would that get people to spend more then 1 day at Universal? How would that get them to buy a multi-park ticket? How would that increase spending on merchandise and food at USF? How would that fill more On site Hotel Rooms? All your doing is giving people a reason to only come back to the same single park over and over again. Which isn't in the ENTIRE resorts best interest. The only way if Potter is only expanded in IOA to balence out the entire resort would be to build MULTIPLE major attractions that would bring those coming to see the Wizarding World to visit USF as well. However I don't think theres a franchise that would have the pull that Harry Potter does.

So once again. You have 200 million+ to spend on a Harry Potter expansion. The end goal is to increase vistors and spending at Both Universal Orlando parks and Hotels. Is that money gonna be better spend plusing 1 park? Or balencing out Both? To me the question is an easy answer.

Again i'm for Potter staying only in IOA. I'd rather see different expansion in the Studios. However this post was in regards to what type of expansion would give the better return on envestment.

Last edited:
Please tell me if the expansion only takes place in IOA (which I personally would rather see) how would that get people to spend more then 1 day at Universal? How would that get them to buy a multi-park ticket? How would that increase spending on merchandise and food at USF? How would that fill more On site Hotel Rooms? All your doing is giving people a reason to only come back to the same single park over and over again. Which isn't in the ENTIRE resorts best interest. The only way if Potter is only expanded in IOA to balence out the entire resort would be to build MULTIPLE major attractions that would bring those coming to see the Wizarding World to visit USF as well. However I don't think theres a franchise that would have the pull that Harry Potter does.

You bring up all valid points, but there is something to be said for the other side of the argument. The Magic Kingdom is the most successful and visited park in Walt Disney World. But, when expanding or adding to it's other parks, Disney tried to offer different experiences. Now, you can argue that it is only possible because of the blessing of size Disney has over Universal. But, I think the point was to try and appeal to the largest possible audience. Just like not everyone is a fan of Potter, not everyone is a fan of the Fantasyland characters that draw people to the Magic Kingdom. Universal could just as easily expand the Potter into the Lost Continent, and then add a new franchise to draw people into the Studios. Theoretically, they would therefore appeal to Potter fans AND the fanbase of the new addition. Then, you would have the ability to appeal to a larger audience. But, you could also argue that Universal is more worried about getting Potter fans to spend more of their money since they've already shown that they are dedicated enough to spend an insane amount of money on a robe. So really, you can build a decent case for either scenario, I don't think it is as cut and dry as people make it out to be.

The problem I see with having it on ground level is that if it goes along that main backstage route, there are a ton of buildings on either side of the street and that road isn't very wide. It just seems like there's not enough room for it.

How would people feel if there is a new franchise coming to the area of Jaws/Amity, and the Hogwarts Express? Basically, the area is pretty big, so why not have a new ride based on a popular franchise, and have a little area towards the back corner themed to King's Cross which connects you to the Wizarding World thus giving Universal it's long awaited connecting transportation system.

Will that appease all fans?

How would people feel if there is a new franchise coming to the area of Jaws/Amity, and the Hogwarts Express? Basically, the area is pretty big, so why not have a new ride based on a popular franchise, and have a little area towards the back corner themed to King's Cross which connects you to the Wizarding World thus giving Universal it's long awaited connecting transportation system.

Are you trying to tell us something or is that just a theoretical statement?

Personally, if they're going to bring Potter into USF I'd want them to go all out and just take over the area. But maybe that's just the Potterhead part of me talking.

Last edited:

That is the most creative thing anyone has posted on here BriMan. I think that's brilliant. The Jaws area alone is big enough for a new franchise, and with Amity going too, Universal does have a lot of room to play with. The train would also accomplish the goal of encouraging people to experience both parks. I think that could really work.

I'd be disappointed. only because that would mean no Gringotts.

I really like the idea of turning the whole back area into London. Turn that concept composite of WW and Hogsmeade diagonally (HA), put another attraction on the left hand side of it, and then turn FFL into a Sherlock Holmes stunt show.

It would feel rather thin and halfhearted to me if they JUST threw in a random Hogwarts Express and everything else was non-Harry Potter. I rather they go all out or not do anything HP-related, period.

I'd rather have a huge Potter 2.0 expansion in the Studios and in Lost Continent. I can make do without a Hogwarts Express :p It'd just be a nice extra feature.

everything I keep hearing is if there is a train or something connecting both parks it would have to be built up and high (cause of floats and etc) and also whatever is taking over the Jaws area will be multiple attractions that could just mean more then 1 so 2 ...

I am on the side of understanding the need for them to make money, but would rather see potter stay in IOA... while it is sad to see Jaws leave when there is so much room in other areas of the park if the multiple attractions I'm hearing are true I will be glad to see to end of let just keep replacing one for one

Status
Not open for further replies.