Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 293 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a screen shot of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes from the pixelsattheparks aerial shoot, and I'm pretty sure you can see an arm and hat extending from a giant Fred/George figure:

DA_WWW.jpg

If so, both Fred/George (Gred/Forge?) and the dragon (whom I think we should call Smokey to continue in the spirit of ridiculously understated cat & dog names being given to dangerous creatures; either that or Mabel) should be immediately visible the moment you pass through the brick wall. I can only imagine what it will be like to take all that in.
:pop:

It's still under construction, no? Everyone is freaking out without knowing if this is how they are leaving it.

Whoa careful using that brain their buddy, people may start to get jealous and lash out for no ****ing reason... I agree lets just see how it is once were all on the ground. I mean we are gonna have PLENTY of time to evaluate it over the summer. Thats gotta be a solid 60-120 min holding area from hell.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth here. Walls, more trees, overhangs, and more can be added for less than 'a few million'.
There are already trees and walls. And unless your talking about enclosing the whole thing your not going to be able to hide the large show building with overhangs. So you'd need to enclose it, or theme the whole side of the building.

I'm sorry, but for those of you saying that the queue will be seldom used, you're only saying that to support your failing argument. This queue is going to be used every single day this summer, every single day this winter, and every single day from March until the end of April of next year... rinse and repeat. They're going to be dependent on this queue, as said before, to control the crowd volume in Diagon Alley... it's called land control. For those of you interested, Universal currently practices this with Forbidden Journey, running the attraction at half capacity in the mornings to move their guests into that massive queue line as a way to disperse crowds throughout the Wizarding World. To those of you who say that those switchbacks will be seldom used are those who aren't thinking of Universal as a world wide destination.

Am I asking them to spend 50 million dollars in sculpture to hide a show building? Absolutely not. What I am curious about is where Universal Creative is allocating its resources - because on one end you have details (as cited by members on this board) that most people wont notice, but on the other end you have amateur mistakes like the extended queue that just go without concern. As I recall - back in 2010 Mark Woodbury simply shrugged his shoulders over these same issues.

Land control is just that controlling the number of people in the land. Return times, ect.

They do not now, nor have they ever reduced capacity at FJ to take people out of the land. The take RVs out to maintain a consistent line (If the line dips under 20 mins they'll take an RV or two out) because the flow of loading works better when it's constant and not broken up by gaps of no guests.

The only other time they reduce capacity is when they can't keep a line inside but there is a backup for the lockers (typically in the morning), and that's for the same reason.

As do I, and believe me I'm a huge fan of what they've accomplished. It's just mind blowing to me that they thought that this was the best approach to extending their queue... which holds the majority of the line for this attraction.

Last edited:
Yes, he probably did. That is just the way it is when it comes to bottom line business. I personally think they have spent rather admirably.

A whole new land with two brand new rides like nothing we've ever seen right after transformers and fast food blvd and with kong and several other projects in the works.

But people can't see that the budget for building new things is only so big and rockwork up the side of the building, or a magical overhang that will hide it just aren't worth the investment given the small number of guests that will have an issue with it and the better uses of that money on this and other projects.

I mean there is some very cool stuff in this land, and that all costs money.

Your idea that people of these boards expect millions of dollars in rock work as a solution to the extended queue issue is ridiculous. It's simply not feasible and everybody knows that. What would of worked in exchange is a pavilion-like structure with restricted views to the backstage area. Everybody here gets that there's always going to be a business side of things that says otherwise, but in an area where attention to detail counts, they've dropped the ball and you know that.

A whole new land with two brand new rides like nothing we've ever seen right after transformers and fast food blvd and with kong and several other projects in the works.

But people can't see that the budget for building new things is only so big and rockwork up the side of the building, or a magical overhang that will hide it just aren't worth the investment given the small number of guests that will have an issue with it and the better uses of that money on this and other projects.

I mean there is some very cool stuff in this land, and that all costs money.

Bingo, its all about budget allocation and where to utilize it. Once Diagon opens and people see the budget for FLE and Diagon were comparable we will see who spent wisely and who spent more on what.

Reactions: Nitro_230
Just drove back from our vacation at Portofino, Universal. The new areas are breathtaking. Pictures can't do the area justice. The details are fantastic. The tour VIP's had a whole floor at Portofino the weekend we came in. The hotel was 100% booked for a weekend that's traditionally slow. We had a conversation with one of the VIP's at the pool and he was gushing with excitement at what he had seen. He said that we'll be amazed when we get to experience it when we come back in September....Seemed to be a lot of employee excitement at the hotel and the parks. Basically everyone used the same phrase, "all hell is going to break loose when Diagon Alley opens". Even a cool maintainance worker that had been working there since the Studios opening was excited over Diagon. Eight nights in Orlando with sunny skies and no rain. We were really blessed.

Your idea that people of these boards expect millions of dollars in rock work as a solution to the extended queue issue is ridiculous. It's simply not feasible and everybody knows that. What would of worked in exchange is a pavilion-like structure with restricted views to the backstage area. Everybody here gets that there's always going to be a business side of things that says otherwise, but in an area where attention to detail counts, they've dropped the ball and you know that.

I honestly have no issue with the extended queue they built. I also have no issue with the fact that you can see the FJ show building from Jurassic Park. It's not something the average guest cares about.

What would a "pavilion-like structure with restricted views to the backstage area" look like?

With the existing fence and trees don't see the backstage area except of course for the show buildings. So again, all they can do is theme the building or enclose the queue, both are significant investments for an extended queue.

Just drove back from our vacation at Portofino, Universal. The new areas are breathtaking. Pictures can't do the area justice. The details are fantastic. The tour VIP's had a whole floor at Portofino the weekend we came in. The hotel was 100% booked for a weekend that's traditionally slow. We had a conversation with one of the VIP's at the pool and he was gushing with excitement at what he had seen. He said that we'll be amazed when we get to experience it when we come back in September....Seemed to be a lot of employee excitement at the hotel and the parks. Basically everyone used the same phrase, "all hell is going to break loose when Diagon Alley opens". Even a cool maintainance worker that had been working there since the Studios opening was excited over Diagon. Eight nights in Orlando with sunny skies and no rain. We were really blessed.

Excellent anecdote... thanks!

I agree with P@n!K_Sw1tC#. Let's call a spade a spade. From what we've seen, the outdoor queue is lackluster. Thinking otherwise is a slippery slope. Otherwise, anyone can become a Universal apologist and dispute any thematic flaw with the argument that Universal had "budgetary constraints". As P@n!K_Sw1tC# stated, we're not arguing over budget limitations (assuming there were actually limitations) for the outdoor queue but rather the execution of said budget. Alas, I am very excited/hopeful to be proven WRONG once the sweet gates of this land open.

I agree with P@n!K_Sw1tC#. Let's call a spade a spade. From what we've seen, the outdoor queue is lackluster. Thinking otherwise is a slippery slope. Otherwise, anyone can become a Universal apologist and dispute any thematic flaw with the argument that Universal had "budgetary constraints". As P@n!K_Sw1tC# stated, we're not arguing over budget limitations (assuming there were actually limitations) for the outdoor queue but rather the execution of said budget. Alas, I am very excited/hopeful to be proven WRONG once the sweet gates of this land open.

First off, there are always budget limitations. It's a company, it's parent company is publicly traded. There are no blank checks.

Secondly, it has the potter stamped concrete, the potter lamp posts, the potter queue, and lots of trees that will grow to be great shade. It's got a blocked line of sight to the back of house area.

Same question I ask of P@n!K_Sw1tC#, what is the expecation here if not expensive rock work or enclosing it? Which project would you like that money taken from?

And as far as a slippery slope, it's an extended queue. Have you see MIB's? Spider-Mans? FJ's? Rivers Adventures?(Now Gone) Can in the Hat's? (Now Gone) Hulk's? Rockit's? They all share one thing, a place to hold people on the busiest days?

And for transformers the proper comparison is not the queue around back, the proper comparison is the queue in the street.

Bingo, its all about budget allocation and where to utilize it. Once Diagon opens and people see the budget for FLE and Diagon were comparable we will see who spent wisely and who spent more on what.

And you don't want to accept my notion that this is an acceptable queue for what it's purpose is and given budgets, that's fine. But can we all agree that HTF has earned enough credibility that you can trust him and give it a shot in person before you go bitching: "they've dropped the ball", "the outdoor queue is lackluster", "this extended queue is on par with the likes of Shrek and Twister", "immersion breaking and kinda disappointing", "unacceptable", "Six Flags-style", "absolutely pitiful"

Or asking questions like "What I am curious about is where Universal Creative is allocating its resources" when the obvious answer is building a hotel, a brand new land featuring two cutting edge rides, and continuing to work on several more projects for the coming years.

Well I'm fine with the extended queue and I'm sure it'll server it's purpose quite nicely. Do I wish it was shaded? Of course I do but I also wish it was indoors with marble floors and air conditioned but that doesn't mean that's what it should have. It just all comes down to budget. If I have to give up a themed wall behind a row of trees in an extended queue for a freakin' fire breathing dragon then so be it!

And in a year or two those trees will mature and provide some nice shade.

Here you go, something like this surrounded by a thick hedge. I've included pricing to show you just how inexpensive of a fix this would be...

https://www.millstores.com/woodpavilion.cfm

With the addition of fans for airflow, an extended queue like this would at least become tolerable this summer.

So you want them to use this furniture outlet home "Wood Pavilion" for only 20k. Ignoring that it's a home product not meant for commercial installation, wood structures do great in Florida, the fire marshal will never sign off on an all wood structure, it's not large enough, and it doesn't stand up the the building material requirements UO operates under.

Uhm, the average guest will care when they have to stand in the direct sun for the 60-120 minutes they spend in that queue. That's going to make for a lot of unhappy guests on a busy park day.

I'm also adopting the "wait and see", but I'm leaning on the potential blunder side of the argument.

Although frankly, I'd never get in a 2+ hour line, no ride is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.