Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ For that to work, would not they have to have rewritable and secure chips inside them with the stated value? Otherwise, people could knock off copies. This is assuming that the money can actually be used in the stores of both parks.

Agreed. I don't know but I pictured something much more akin to small world where the dragon pops out every 15 minutes or so. Disney has no problem maintaining this with Mr. Potato Head, or even malificient in fantasmic. I highly doubt it will always be exposed because that thematically would not make sense (and operationally would be much more difficult).

Possibly an in-queue merchandise location designed to look like a teller counter or vault (secure) where you can make a "withdrawal" (purchase) of Wizarding World money?

That's a phenomenal idea! It's a perfect marriage of narrative/themeing and product. Many people would gladly make an in-queue purchase in this case, because you would feel as if you are taking part in the story.

This is the kind of 'cash grab' that I can get behind. I hope this is what he is actually hinting at.

Edit: It just occurred to me that, on top of coins, they could sell bankbooks and cheque books, and even the chance to open up your very own Gringotts account! (My head is spinning with excitement)

Last edited:
I'm failing to see how an in-queue vendor could work. Universal requires you to put all items in lockers for their big rides. Based on the concept art for the Gringott's ride vehicle, it looks like there would be no place to put personal belongings on the ride (as is the case with the similarly-structured Mummy ride vehicle). So how would Universal handle giving guests bags of merchandise while in line for a big ride? I suppose it's possible that Gringott's ride vehicles will have storage space for personal belongings, but what if guests are already carrying on camera bags or purses and simply wouldn't have room (those compartments are usually tiny)? Is Universal going to limit the purchase of large items to those with no additional carry-ons? That seems like a good way to lose out on profits.

I agree it's a good idea, but why make people buy things in-line that they can't bring on the ride they're in line for? I'm thinking that either the Gringott's vehicle will have to have storage space for loose articles on-board, OR that this proposed vendor will not be "selling" anything substantial, but instead maybe handing out coins to be traded in later a la the passport cards at ET. I guess we'll see, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I think they might be offering the ability to get a Gringott's credit card. If I were Universal, this is how I would set it up: the card would be tied to an existing standard credit card like your Visa account, but be usable only within the parks. While in the queue, you would set up the account and have your picture taken. While you're on line, Universal confirms your credit is good and then generates your personalized Gringott's card with your photo in front of Gringott's on it. That both provides positive ID and makes it a souvenir of your visit afterwards. The "fee" would cover making the card and transferring the charges to your standard credit card (which would probably be automated).

They could allow you to give them to your family members as well (I.e. your kids) because the charges just look like you are charging your Visa card when they actually get to the bank. So, now your kids have a way to buy their own wands at Ollivander's, their own books at Borgin and Burkes, their toys at Wheasley's, their ice cream at Fortescue's, etc. My guess is that this will result in increased spending in Diagon Alley and perhaps elsewhere in the parks. If the card is lost or stolen, it's useless in the real world and your prominent photo on the front will prevent it's use in the park.

It's yet another way for Universal Orlando to cash in on the Harry Potter franchise. If this is the plan, I think it's brilliant and yet another reason why aggressive investment in the parks will continue. Time will tell if I've guessed correctly.

Last edited:
While you're on line, Universal confirms your credit is good and then generates your personalized Gringott's card with your photo in front of Gringott's on it.

Are you kidding me? Won't it be a friggin doggy downer if your application is DENIED. I would hope that Universal isn't considering this at all.

Are you kidding me? Won't it be a friggin doggy downer if your application is DENIED. I would hope that Universal isn't considering this at all.
Excellent point, Teebs. Another option is to do it as a debit card where the value is limited to cash money you had already deposited at Gringott's. That eliminates the possibility of being denied, although you could run out of money on the card.

I can't see JK signing off on a Gringotts credit card....

Anyways... This dragon?

Anyone else pisssed we got Fake fire in TF and everything since mummy but now this dragon is getting real pyro?

The excuse we were given for that fake fire was "green is universal" so green is universal unless JK says so, right..?

I can't believe I never saw that before!

It's one of my favorite little details of Hogsmeade:
011312-(44).jpg

A few notes

Budget cuts have hit Gringotts and one scene has been hit pretty hard. Good thing is its a small scene with no real impact. Think very dim lighting...

All shops in Diagon will feature outdoor "extended" queues but also have indoor air conditioned switchbacks.

There is one shop coming I don't think I've seen one person talk about anywhere.

The Gringotts queue will have 9 themed zones or rooms

Anyways... This dragon?

Anyone else pisssed we got Fake fire in TF and everything since mummy but now this dragon is getting real pyro?

The excuse we were given for that fake fire was "green is universal" so green is universal unless JK says so, right..?

I'm not sure if it's the case, but it may be that, if some of the other additions are very green/sustainable, they could offset the effects of the real fire for the dragon. Say, if TF, the rest of Diagon, and Cabana Bay are very energy-efficient, they could make up the difference and still improve the "carbon footprint" of the resort overall.

Similar to the way Aston Martin made this ridiculous thing so that they could continue to make their gas-guzzling masterpieces and still comply with the EU's emissions regulations which apply to a company's whole line-up, not individual vehicles.

6a00d8341c565553ef0147e1fe0217970b-pi

A few notes

Budget cuts have hit Gringotts and one scene has been hit pretty hard. Good thing is its a small scene with no real impact. Think very dim lighting...

All shops in Diagon will feature outdoor "extended" queues but also have indoor air conditioned switchbacks.

There is one shop coming I don't think I've seen one person talk about anywhere.

The Gringotts queue will have 9 themed zones or rooms

My guesses in order from most expected to least expected:

1. Flourish and Blott's
2. Daily Prophet Offices
3. An ACTUAL Quality Quidditch Supplies
4. Magical Manenagerie
5. Sugerplumb's Sweet Shop
6. Slug and Jiggers Apothecary (I know it's a long shoot, but I'd love this. The cauldrons are my favorite piece of merch from Hogsmeade.

I guess the majority of the skepticism surrounding the Gringott's dragon AA is partly because of EE's Yeti :lol:

There are a lot of reasons that people are "skeptical" of it (although I'm not sure it's the right word to use...it's just a surprising element considering a lot of components). For one, Universal's very own Jurassic Park River Adventure has a hard time maintaining outdoor animatronics. Second, Universal's green initiative has made it so that fire effects are absent from all future attractions, making the concept of a fire-breathing dragon seem somewhat contradictory. Third of all, any animatronic being seen by hoards of people consistently throughout the day means it will have long operating hours and no downtime (you can't close a street-corner down for refurbishment like you can for JPRA when their animatronics get rusty).

So there are a lot of things that make this prospect intriguing, independent of any Disney bashing.

There are a lot of reasons that people are "skeptical" of it (although I'm not sure it's the right word to use...it's just a surprising element considering a lot of components). For one, Universal's very own Jurassic Park River Adventure has a hard time maintaining outdoor animatronics. Second, Universal's green initiative has made it so that fire effects are absent from all future attractions, making the concept of a fire-breathing dragon seem somewhat contradictory. Third of all, any animatronic being seen by hoards of people consistently throughout the day means it will have long operating hours and no downtime (you can't close a street-corner down for refurbishment like you can for JPRA when their animatronics get rusty).

So there are a lot of things that make this prospect intriguing, independent of any Disney bashing.

That wasn't a direct bash at Disney. The Yeti is just the best and most (in)famous example of a large scale attraction animatronic that has struggled with maintenance problems and uptime.

Status
Not open for further replies.