Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if it was Weasley's, then the furthest bow-front window should be two stories high and not one, so my possible bad.

Looks like we all need to start donating again to put another Helicopter in the air. What are the current plans for this administrators?

Last edited:
Right?! Can't wait for more aerial shots. So my concern after the other "leaked" photo of three of the shops in Diagon and after examining my photo against the actual sets of the latest movies/the current set in WB studios is that we won't really be getting a reproduciton of the street which I guess isn't that shocking since Hogsmead is pretty far from the original movie set as well. As long as Weasley's, Olivanders and Gringots are in their correct locations then I'll be happy.

New theory...
image-1.jpg

I'm thinking the lavender is Weasleys, unlike the movies I don't think the shop would make sense as the first shop you see on the right since it is such a staple, guests would walk right past it so it makes sense to have it a couple shops in. As for the paint job on the windows, I'm hoping it's just an undercoat or maybe these windows will be purple and the front ones will be the movie orange.

I know it's hard to see behind the green cherry picker but I'm sure I see the columns and half round balcony of Gringotts.

They are going to do things within the streets that hasn't been done before at any major theme park land. And this is just part of it, numerous tactics to keep things flowing...

Think…

They are going to do things within the streets that hasn't been done before at any major theme park land. And this is just part of it, numerous tactics to keep things flowing...

Think…

I am not sure that I like this. Will be like viewing the crown jewels of England or a dead head-of-state's casket. Three seconds and "Move along!".

I am not sure that I like this. Will be like viewing the crown jewels of England or a dead head-of-state's casket. Three seconds and "Move along!".

No no no no no, there is more to it than that. But please don't think HHN Flash Light Nazi's because that is not what I intended.

I just found out that the material possibly used for the decorative parts of Wyndham, especially the lower touchable stuff, may be made of GFRC. This is the same material used to create decorative parts of the Victoria Embankment wall. Let's hope they got the bonding procedure corrected. :look:

Flocking could easily be further coated in a waterproofing layer to prevent it being damaged. I've seen it done before - no idea on the longevity of such a method though.

- This is why I love reading this forum. We're debating the method Universal is going to use to make a hat. Epic.

You're absolutely correct. I've seen it done before as well, but, as you mentioned, longevity is an issue. Maybe they'll have a slew of replacement hats waiting in the wings :lol:

Epic indeed, sir.

-Andy

If you go on Diagon Alley Google maps you will see that is the Ollivander shop who is all lavender

That is a studio tour with TONS of lavender lighting. The actual set color in the movie is black trim and beige brick, just like Ollivanders at Universal Studios. Please drop the notion.

from movie:
ollivanders_zpsb4451b64.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, GGGhost and TheLastAshen!! :rep: :cheers:

New theory...
image-1.jpg

I'm thinking the lavender is Weasleys, unlike the movies I don't think the shop would make sense as the first shop you see on the right since it is such a staple, guests would walk right past it so it makes sense to have it a couple shops in. As for the paint job on the windows, I'm hoping it's just an undercoat or maybe these windows will be purple and the front ones will be the movie orange.

I know it's hard to see behind the green cherry picker but I'm sure I see the columns and half round balcony of Gringotts.

I agree that the purple/lavender definitely looks like WWW. My theory for the "?" building is the following...

They obviously had to switch building around, since in Universal's version of Diagon Alley, the Leaky Cauldron has to be inside and to your left (instead of being how we enter Diagon Alley).

Now, if you look at pictures of the WB Studio Tour, you can see a building that looks similar to that "?" storefront (with the shears), but it is to your left when you enter the Tour's set. Since that's where the Leaky Cauldron would go, it looks like they have moved that storefront/facade across the street. Either that store's facade or another one with a similar shape, but they have definitely added a facade between the entrance and WWW, at least compared to the WB Studio Tour.

7728450816_67e9e243a1_o.jpg

See 00:28:

[video=youtube;zhWoqobDZXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhWoqobDZXQ[/video]

EDIT! EDIT! EDIT!

Wait, that is Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions and I would think that they would probably make that into an actual store, so maybe that's elsewhere in Diagon, and that's just a similar shaped storefront.

Madam_Malkin%27s.jpg

Actually, if you look at 00:14 in the video above, there is another storefront that looks like that (and it's to the right, just like at Uni), but the video is just too low quality and too far away to be able to tell what it is...

Last edited:
^ Finally! Bingo!

Is it Madam Malkin's or another storefront?
I kinda had in mind that they would probably have an actual store that was a combination of Madam Malkin's & Quality Quidditch Supplies, just like the combination store of Zonko's & Honeydukes in Hogsmeade. It just kinda made sense to me that way :shrug:

I don't think the picture taken is of weasleys because the curved windows should be on the ground floor and second with the corner window spanning 3 floors. and it should be orange like someone else said. anyone been able to find a map of diagon alley that has the position of weasleys on it?

I was going to say the same exact thing but was searching this thread for said picture to back it up, although if you look at the concept art, that is where WWW is going.

Last edited:
I just found out that the material possibly used for the decorative parts of Wyndham, especially the lower touchable stuff, may be made of GFRC. This is the same material used to create decorative parts of the Victoria Embankment wall. Let's hope they got the bonding procedure corrected. :look:

Cool! Always neat hearing about construction methods and materials. I googled GFRC, and it is described thusly :

Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete -

Consists of high strength glass fiber embedded in a cementitious matrix.[1] In this form, both fibers and matrix retain their physical and chemical identities, while offering a synergism: a combination of properties that can not be achieved with either of the components acting alone. In general, fibers are the principal load-carrying members, while the surrounding matrix keeps them in the desired locations and orientation, acting as a load transfer medium between the fibers and protecting them from environmental damage.

So does this mean it is essentially cement mixed with fiberglass? From what I'm reading, it sounds like the fiberglass gives the mixture added strength. Is this commonly used in Florida theme park facades? Have there been incidences when the Universal construction crew mishandled the mixture?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.