Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 168 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, not many people use early entry as it is. Most families have a hard time getting everybody up and to the park by 8am. Some will make the effort for Diagon, but we'll see I guess.

Are you kidding? The Early Access pass the only reason I would ever shell out $300 per night to stay at one of the 3 on-site resorts, given that I can stay at the Days Inn 15 minutes away for only $65 a night. Not even the Express Pass makes it worth it, since you can buy an Express Pass for $36 a night without having to book an on-site hotel and since the Express Pass can't be used in the Wizarding World. When my family goes, we are at the opening gates two hours before opening. Given the insane crowds and the fact that we're out-of-staters who can only fly in to Orlando every couple of years, it's worth it to us to have the Early Access pass even if it costs us an additional $50 per person per day, because otherwise we would spend half of our vacation in line. There is no way we're sleeping in. We can sleep when we're dead. And given the number of other on-site hotel guests that are at those gates with us every morning, I'd say we're not alone.

Last edited:
#PotterWatch2014
13294118103_1e9f4e5707_b.jpg

"Charing Cross RD" and a sign in the window saying "Office to Let"

Good eye! Love these little details.

So to recap, construction on Gringotts and the Hogsmeade station are behind schedule but the latter is expected to progress quickly. Is that correct? And based on that and the ads we're seeing for the Hogwarts Express, might we presume that soft openings might initially target on-site hotel guests with early access to Hogsmeade/Forbidden Journey, the Hogwarts Express, and possibly Diagon Alley but not necessarily Gringotts? Wouldn't Hogsmeade/Hogwarts Express vacation packages for on-site hotels enable Universal to rake in some of that summer money even before Gringotts is completed?

Good eye! Love these little details.

So to recap, construction on Gringotts and the Hogsmeade station are behind schedule but the latter is expected to progress quickly. Is that correct? And based on that and the ads we're seeing for the Hogwarts Express, might we presume that soft openings might initially target on-site hotel guests with early access to Hogsmeade/Forbidden Journey, the Hogwarts Express, and possibly Diagon Alley but not necessarily Gringotts? Wouldn't Hogsmeade/Hogwarts Express vacation packages for on-site hotels enable Universal to rake in some of that summer money even before Gringotts is completed?
Too early to say. Just looking at the rides and not the rest of the land it's looking more and more likely June isnt happening. We're getting into late March and no rumblings of an announcement are about.

Too early to say. Just looking at the rides and not the rest of the land it's looking more and more likely June isnt happening. We're getting into late March and no rumblings of an announcement are about.

Wouldn't go as far as to say that. It's march. June is 3 whole months away. Robert Niles reports softs in may citing a credible source. Keep in mind he pretty much broke the expansion news and seems to be well connected within uni. Teebs though very subtly, has seemingly corroborated Niles' report. Maybe I'm just too positive but I remain optimistic.

Wouldn't go as far as to say that. It's march. June is 3 whole months away. Robert Niles reports softs in may citing a credible source. Keep in mind he pretty much broke the expansion news and seems to be well connected within uni. Teebs though very subtly, has seemingly corroborated Niles' report. Maybe I'm just too positive but I remain optimistic.
Put your faith where you like. I wouldn't be overly optimistic about riding anything in this expansion by June's end. I'm interested to see if Universal would open Diagon without Gringotts.
Let the record reflect I hope I am wrong though.

Put your faith where you like. I wouldn't be overly optimistic about riding anything in this expansion by June's end. I'm interested to see if Universal would open Diagon without Gringotts.
Let the record reflect I hope I am wrong though.

I see where you're coming from, I'm just saying that rumblings of potential softs are beginning to surface and I suspect a lot of the exterior elements will come together rather quickly. I have no idea about the actual rides as we cannot see them, but I have also heard they are adding more and more workers to get everything going as quick as possible. Time will tell

I finally have faith that they are going to address the major sightline issues. I am happy. :meditate:

Like SDMT, this project entered a period of close to being finished, but questionable if this was really representative of the final project. I think the final push though will actually really make it sparkle.

Hogsmeade Capacity is 4000 before they start handing out return time tickets.
Why would they need to let any additional visitors in when they will have approximately 5000 more people entering the park early than they did in 2010, due to the opening of Cabana Bay with its 1800 rooms? Hogsmeade capacity is presumably 1500. I'm guessing Diagon Alley will double that, which means that the Cabana Bay guests alone will fill both WWOHP sections to capacity and still have 2000 people lined up to get inside.

Things will be very different compared to the 2010 opening. Never again will early entry mean a mere 15 minute wait for a major WWOHP attraction, I suspect.

Andy--I'm working on Diagon Alley right now. I am running out of room! The Hogwarts takes up my entire spare bedroom. I wish I had a garage (or basement--but that's not gonna happen in Florida) I have Gringotts build, Olivanders, Apothacary, Quality Quidditch Supplies, Madmam Makins Robes. I'll have to post another pic when I get Diagon Alley completed. Glad you like it! Troy

Actually, because Express is not offered for Cabana Bay hotel guests, early entry is MORE of a perk than it is for current hotel guests. Add to that the fact that this hotel is quite large and you're looking at a pretty sizeable influx of park guests to early entry. No, the turnout won't be 100%, but when the only sizeable in-park perk of the hotel is early entry, there are going to be more people that will utilize it. The current crowds during early entry aren't an accurate model of what we can assume will happen when Cabana Bay opens up.

Again, I think you and many people in this thread are overestimating the people that use Early Entry. There are very few people that, while on vacation mind you, are going to wake up at the crack of dawn to go stand in line for Harry Potter. Obviously there are some but in the end, this isn't even a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you kidding? The Early Access pass the only reason I would ever shell out $300 per night to stay at one of the 3 on-site resorts, given that I can stay at the Days Inn 15 minutes away for only $65 a night. Not even the Express Pass makes it worth it, since you can buy an Express Pass for $36 a night without having to book an on-site hotel and since the Express Pass can't be used in the Wizarding World. When my family goes, we are at the opening gates two hours before opening. Given the insane crowds and the fact that we're out-of-staters who can only fly in to Orlando every couple of years, it's worth it to us to have the Early Access pass even if it costs us an additional $50 per person per day, because otherwise we would spend half of our vacation in line. There is no way we're sleeping in. We can sleep when we're dead. And given the number of other on-site hotel guests that are at those gates with us every morning, I'd say we're not alone.

The express access is way more valuable than $36 a night...it's unlimited. You can't buy that. Any member on this forum will tell you can show up after park opening (ESPECIALLY AT UNIVERSAL) and get everything done and then some. You guys are stressing yourselves out over waiting in line and in turn has probably made some of your vacations very hectic. At that point, it's not even a vacation.

Again, I think you and many people in this thread are overestimating the people that use Early Entry. There are very few people that, while on vacation mind you, are going to wake up at the crack of dawn to go stand in line for Harry Potter. Obviously there are some but in the end, this isn't even a big deal.

Maybe to you or I it would seem that way, because we go to the parks rather frequently. When youre going out of your way to make it to a park you rarely get to go to, you better believe youre going to do all you can to make the most of it. Considering that Cabana Bay WONT have express access, and early entry is pretty much their only significant park-related perk, it WILL be more heavily-utilized than at the other hotels. And considering the size of all four hotels versus WWOHP's capacity, it definitely has the potential to be "a big deal". Of course, it very well may not be, and the capacity could be doublinh depending on how they operate the early entry, but you shouldnt be so quick as to write it off.

Ive always said that there are trips amd vacations--vacations are relaxing, they take place in Hawaii or on cruises. On trips you have a mission to do as much as possible...thats going to Rome, Paris, and especially theme parks.

Hmm, I think I might go ahead and just book a hotel room for late May, like the last few days of May, and then wait and see how this shakes out. It's either that or wait for another month until things really firm up, but then the rooms may be gone/they may have raised prices.

Next is the question of which hotel, lol. Try the new Cabana Bay, since there probably won't be express access to Gringott's anyway, or Hard Rock for much shorter walk.....decisions decisions.

Last edited:
Maybe to you or I it would seem that way, because we go to the parks rather frequently. When youre going out of your way to make it to a park you rarely get to go to, you better believe youre going to do all you can to make the most of it. Considering that Cabana Bay WONT have express access, and early entry is pretty much their only significant park-related perk, it WILL be more heavily-utilized than at the other hotels. And considering the size of all four hotels versus WWOHP's capacity, it definitely has the potential to be "a big deal". Of course, it very well may not be, and the capacity could be doublinh depending on how they operate the early entry, but you shouldnt be so quick as to write it off.

Ive always said that there are trips amd vacations--vacations are relaxing, they take place in Hawaii or on cruises. On trips you have a mission to do as much as possible...thats going to Rome, Paris, and especially theme parks.
Absolutely!
I've started saving up last December to go to Universal Studios and Disney World, and I should only have enough money to go by March 2016. Trust me, after over 2 years of making sacrifices and saving up every single penny, the last thing I'll do is waste precious time. I can sleep in when I'm back.

It isn't a big deal to non-onsite hotel guests because they haven't paid an additional 200 per night to access it. For those that pay for it, however, it's a big deal. It's just a matter of how many others have early entry access, and that depends on how many on-site hotel guests there are., which in turn depends on how many rooms there are.

If you think that the grand opening of the Wizarding World is not something people will wake up at the crack of dawn for, you should look at the pictures of the line that extended all the way back through Citywalk on the opening day of Hogsmeade back.in 2010: http://www.insidethemagic.net/2010/...sal-orlandos-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/

Harry Potter fans take their trip to WWOHP serious. In fact, out-of-state visitors in general take their trips to Orlando serious, which is why there are books and websites devoted purely to tips on how to get the most out of your trip to Disney or Universal. And one of the tips at the top of the list is to get there early, and to consider staying at an on-site hotel if you can afford it. So those who want an enjoyable vacation wake up early and nap in the aftetnoon. It's the ones who sleep in who are going to experience the most problems. People who showed pu at IOA later than 5am on the opening day of Hogwarts/WWOHP had to wait up to9 hours to get in.

The express access is way more valuable than $36 a night...it's unlimited. You can't buy that. Any member on this forum will tell you can show up after park opening (ESPECIALLY AT UNIVERSAL) and get everything done and then some..

I didn't mean to suggest the Express Passe isn't worth the cost. I simply meant that it's not areason to stay in an on-site hotel because you can buy on without staying in an on site hôtel. Early access, however, you can't

Last edited:
Hmm, I think I might go ahead and just book a hotel room for late May, like the last few days of May, and then wait and see how this shakes out. It's either that or wait for another month until things really firm up, but then the rooms may be gone/they may have raised prices.

Next is the question of which hotel, lol. Try the new Cabana Bay, since there probably won't be express access to Gringott's anyway, or Hard Rock for much shorter walk.....decisions decisions.

I would think Hard Rock would be the way to go.Gringots may not have express yet.But I would think onsite premium hotels will get preference over cabana bay for getting into areas.With opening They will be restricting access to Hogsmead,Diagon Alley and to re-ride the Hogwarts express.
Riding the Hogwarts Express will take you outside the entrances to both.

I think the exit to IOA side will be near Sinbad and a wall/barrier will be in place to make you go down by Mystic Coin place.Before turning back to Hogsmead (to control the number of people in Hogsmead)
The Exit for the London side will be close to the San Fran area.

My point is that even if you get in early to Diagon and Gringots .You will have to exit that area to ride the Hogwarts express.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.