Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 3 | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 3

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Quick question that's been bugging me:
I haven't been to Diagon yet (this summer!), but what exactly is the purpose of the long, gray, half-pipe looking overhang towards the entrance to the land? I'm assuming it's not just to keep the rain out...

diagon-alley-aerial-photo-three-big.jpg

I haven't been to Diagon yet (this summer!), but what exactly is the purpose of the long, gray, half-pipe looking overhang towards the entrance to the land? I'm assuming it's not just to keep the rain out...

diagon-alley-aerial-photo-three-big.jpg

The infamous bridge to nowhere! It's used for lighting, visual framing for the land, and (if I'm not mistaken) get TMs to the various shops in the middle.

its main function is for the ollivander's shop and experience. from the ground, it looks like a massive train bridge with a really cool sound effect of trains looming overhead, and it's also used for lighting rigs. but back to its function: you see the stairs towards the bottom of the picture, right? merchandise employees use these stairs to access the wand shop from above and avoid using the big carts to lug around thousands of dollars worth of wands. they reach the store (which is the entire center building) by means of that small cutout on the right flank of the "halfpipe". there's another access point on the left right before it, and that services, i believe, the merch cart.

The infamous bridge to nowhere! It's used for lighting, visual framing for the land, and (if I'm not mistaken) get TMs to the various shops in the middle.

its main function is for the ollivander's shop and experience. from the ground, it looks like a massive train bridge with a really cool sound effect of trains looming overhead, and it's also used for lighting rigs. but back to its function: you see the stairs towards the bottom of the picture, right? merchandise employees use these stairs to access the wand shop from above and avoid using the big carts to lug around thousands of dollars worth of wands. they reach the store (which is the entire center building) by means of that small cutout on the right flank of the "halfpipe". there's another access point on the left right before it, and that services, i believe, the merch cart.

Very cool, thanks for the responses guys! Sort of like a new age/above ground Disney tunnel idea to keep off shift TMs out of sight. Expensive solution, but then again, spare no expense.

I've seen them rolling around inconspicuous carts many a times. I don't think that "bridge" is actually a bridge, seeing as how it doesn't have any paths leading to rooftop entrances for the buildings with stores.

To give the impression of a bustling Wizarding marketplace, Universal wouldn't want to conceal its workers moving stock around.

I've seen them rolling around inconspicuous carts many a times. I don't think that "bridge" is actually a bridge, seeing as how it doesn't have any paths leading to rooftop entrances for the buildings with stores.

To give the impression of a bustling Wizarding marketplace, Universal wouldn't want to conceal its workers moving stock around.

most of those carts contain f+b stock, and others some stock for lower-end merch. i know for a fact that this is the purpose of the bridge. it's not always used for this purpose, just more often on days in which carkitt is extremely busy. this is also a transport bridge for ollivander's wand shop keepers.

Never knew this either! (and I should know that). Fun stuff.

Screenshot.png

yup, and this is what it looks like from ground level. that rusted connection between the bridge and building connects to that indentation in the "halfpipe" i mentioned earlier. it's probably one of my favorite things to point out to people - the bridge was originally something i hated, but i now appreciate this bridge a lot more lol.

^ Why did you hate it originally?

i think it's because i originally wanted an organic diagon alley, with no dragon and bridge, but with explorable second floors and truly hidden passageways. but i was stuck in blue sky. however, as testtrack stated, it visually frames the land in a way that is majorly impressive when you finally step through the brick archway, and it also conceals the dragon until you pass weasley's. it also adds a tinge of reality, making you believe as though the intrusion of the muggle world is very much real. especially when you see the structure of the bridge continue through the entrance lobby of leaky cauldron.

Today Rowling announced that Fantastic Beasts will be a trilogy. Three movies probably extends Potter into at least 2020 for new stuff to feed off. (I didn't really know what thread to post this on)

Reactions: DrIanMalcom
They don't typically. Wander keepers go to and from the dressing rooms via it. I've never seen someone not from Entertainment up there or in the stairs.

typically i guess would be a better word for describing who goes up there. while they do use the stairs for busy day restocking, those days are few and far in between. entertainment does use these stairs, but i think it's just wandkeepers. do you know any other entertainment people besides managers who use the bridge?

Today Rowling announced that Fantastic Beasts will be a trilogy. Three movies probably extends Potter into at least 2020 for new stuff to feed off. (I didn't really know what thread to post this on)

Intriegued to see how this will all play out....the movies are practically guaranteed to be successful so does Uni go down the route of adding a potter phase 3 to existing parks and keeping fantastic beasts for a new park, or make phase 3 of existing parks fantastic beasts.

Either way I can't wait to see what's planned.

Reactions: Mad Dog