X Men '97 (Disney+) | Inside Universal Forums

X Men '97 (Disney+)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just want to point out we got a Deadpool & Wolverine trailer Sunday, Fantastic Four cast yesterday, and X-Men ‘97 trailer today. Marvel is coming out swinging with these formerly Fox IPs and finally showing us the goods.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I just want to point out we got a Deadpool & Wolverine trailer Sunday, Fantastic Four cast yesterday, and X-Men ‘97 trailer today. Marvel is coming out swinging with these formerly Fox IPs and finally showing us the goods.
It is also a concerted effort by the Iger camp to show what they are (finally) doing with their new (expensive) toys as they head into a proxy battle at the annual meeting.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
The animation (or rather, age) is what turned me off from watching the original 90s show but I’ll take it over the modern one as seen here. Is it supposed to be like Invincible? I don’t know but I just don’t like this anime-style animation with the somewhat choppy frame rate and those weird textures. I think DC has been doing this lately with their recent animated features but I wouldn’t know since I haven’t watched any of them. Just looks ugly to me.

So I haven't actually watched X-Men: The Animated Series. I imagine they'll make this series in a way where it's not necessary for you to have seen the series, but you will be heavily rewarded if you did. So I guess my question is... is the series worth watching five seasons of or should I just watch the thing?

The animation (or rather, age) is what turned me off from watching the original 90s show but I’ll take it over the modern one as seen here. Is it supposed to be like Invincible? I don’t know but I just don’t like this anime-style animation with the somewhat choppy frame rate and those weird textures. I think DC has been doing this lately with their recent animated features but I wouldn’t know since I haven’t watched any of them. Just looks ugly to me.
The studio who is listed as having done "animation services" for the show is Studio Mir, which is owned by Jae-Myung Yu. Yu was the animation director for Avatar: The Last Airbender, so this style is imbedded a bit in the who they chose to animate it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Okay finally got around to watching the trailer. It looks great! I don't think I've seen the entire X-Men animated series, but I know I've seen quite a few episodes (probably reruns?). Might go back & binge-watch it. The animation looks great. The music is what sells it

This is definitely a "win" from Disney. (Deadpool 3 being the other win .....hopefully)

Reactions: ReelJustice
So I haven't actually watched X-Men: The Animated Series. I imagine they'll make this series in a way where it's not necessary for you to have seen the series, but you will be heavily rewarded if you did. So I guess my question is... is the series worth watching five seasons of or should I just watch the thing?

Actually started a rewatch last night. I watched casually back in the day, but it was college so I was drinking heavily, too.

The show is painfully of the 90s -- not just slang ("Not!", "Let's blow this joint!"), but even pop culture references. E.g. one of the X-Men is put on trial and the judge is clearly Robert Bork. And, at least early on, it was still a Saturday morning cartoon, with all the limitations that brings--characters call each others by their codenames all the time, whenever a plane blows up we see the pilot parachute away, everyone has a weird, over-the-top accent to differentiate themselves.

But ... it uses their powers more accurately and more interestingly than the movies ever did. There's a somewhat adult feel to the storylines, particularly Wolverine and Magneto. E.g. not Nazis, but generic bad European dudes who are still pretty intense, and Wolverine clearly intends to murder Sabretooth, even if he doesn't say "kill." A character actually dies early on. Take the nostalgia out of it, it remains a pretty solid X-Men incarnation. All the main beats are here, only with a soft PG filter.

FWIW I remember it growing even more adult when they reach Dark Phoenix in like season 3 or 4. Also 19-minute episodes, so you can binge a season in two nights easily.

So… what y’all think of this revival?
Good if you were into the original. Animation keeps that style yet much better quality, more fluid. Innovative use of powers, deep cut lore and cameos, but the same cliched characterizations and ham-fisted soap opera dialogue that defined the original as well. Does skew slightly older, maybe 14 year-olds instead of 11 year-olds.

Not gong to win over any new fans, but a nice trip in the WayBack Machine for anyone who watched this in the 90s. My favorite part was seeing what writers who I doubt were of age in 1997 consider 1990s nostalgia. Nailed it with Benneton and "Not!", probably missed the mark a little with White Men Can't Jump and Gambit's civilian attire.

I thought Episode one was really great like 9/10 just a blast

I'm rewatching the series and some of the voices are....off. Like I know they are the same people but....Rogue and Wolverine sound different

Cyclops has never been this cool, I hope they use some of this moves in the Live action Xmen like using his power after falling out of a plan to land and saving someone by grabbing them and blasting the ground and moving backwards...just smooth and badass.

It's a strong start and kinda sucks if the episodes are this good its only 10 episodes but hopefully we get a season 2

Reactions: SeventyOne
We haven’t seen any of the original series, but we started this last night and really liked it. Will definitely go back and start the original

Episode 5 was fantastic

Man this show just never stops like it just keeps going

Love how they show off Night Crawler and Gambit in this episode.

I know many will disagree but the person they fired needs to be brought back, unless its real harassment or something illegal. I hear he is just hard to work with...find a way to work with him because he understands the Xmen like Gunn did GOTG .

This show is so good....I feel like the MCU is screwed, like no way they top this show in the MCU....like try I dare them too. It's just everything I want, drama, the relationships, great action, fast moving and great story telling and goes dark every now and then....just my favorite thing I've watched all year

God it was hard watching Nightcrawler covered in blood after saving people, one of my favorite characters. Also RIP Gambit going to really miss him another character I love, he went out in a great way but.....really sucks we wont have him int he main cast any more

Reactions: Brian G.
Episode 5 was fantastic

Man this show just never stops like it just keeps going

Love how they show off Night Crawler and Gambit in this episode.

I know many will disagree but the person they fired needs to be brought back, unless its real harassment or something illegal. I hear he is just hard to work with...find a way to work with him because he understands the Xmen like Gunn did GOTG .

This show is so good....I feel like the MCU is screwed, like no way they top this show in the MCU....like try I dare them too. It's just everything I want, drama, the relationships, great action, fast moving and great story telling and goes dark every now and then....just my favorite thing I've watched all year

God it was hard watching Nightcrawler covered in blood after saving people, one of my favorite characters. Also RIP Gambit going to really miss him another character I love, he went out in a great way but.....really sucks we wont have him int he main cast any more

I don't think he's gone gone as I think he'll be brought back as part of Apocalypse's 4 Horsemen. I'm more shocked at Magneto dying, though.

I don't think he's gone gone as I think he'll be brought back as part of Apocalypse's 4 Horsemen. I'm more shocked at Magneto dying, though.
I thought he was going to Die as well.

Since he didn't he had that line about Avenging those who died, so could be setting up him going back to being the big bad.....which I understand he has been trying it Charles way and all it has done is hurt the X-men and mutants.

Last night was another great episode thoughhhhh I will say

If your going to kill characters do it...stop bring them back and I know its a cartoon but the Xmen have a billion cool characters and it cheapens so much if any character can just come back after they saying they died
Also it was very cool to see Nightcrawler get an into in the opening him and Gambit are two of my favorites so glad for now Gampit is getting replaced by Nightcrawler