Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

Oh hey. I'm in Gatlinburg for the next 4 days, and I'm getting season passes to Dollywood. Our cabin doesn't have internet, but I'll post some pictures when I get back. Bye.

Lol. Bye! I booked my flight for August. Visiting Dollywood for the first time!

Dollywood is one of the nicest friendliest parks in the country. There staff is amazing and they have good food.

The food is phenomenal, and that home made ice cream...damn! Now let the Thunder rrrrrrroooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my vacation was WONDERFUL.

But.

I was really lazy and didn't take hardly any pictures of Dollywood. My bad. So here's a lizard I found at Dollywood instead:
dollywood%20lizard.jpg

--- Update ---

Oh. Oh. Hold up. I completely forgot about the first day I went to Dollywood on my vacation. And how there was this massive storm the first day I went to Dollywood on my vacation. And how it was hailing and lightning and flooding the first day I went to Dollywood on my vacation.

dollywood%20flood.jpg

dollywood%20tree.jpg

Yeah. It was great fun.

But the next day -- the day where I was having way too awesome of a time to remember to take pictures -- was perfect. The longest I waited was 20 minutes for the rapids ride. And Barnstormer is legit. It is seriously the scariest thrill ride in the Southeast. The only thing that beats it (for me) is its big brother, Skyhawk, at Cedar Point.

Well...I think they are getting a B&M Wingrider (Wing Coaster as listed on RCDB)....That would be great!!!
I'm gonna have to plan a trip there next year.

I can't find the picture. It was taken down on that website you linked to, StarTrekGeek.

Honestly, I hope it's not a wingrider. That would result in a lot of trees chopped down. Wilderness Pass is becoming less wilderness and more pass. :/

--- Update ---

So I just read a few pages on that thread you linked to, and holy moly! Their moderators are a bunch of Nazis!

From Screamscape:

2012 - Possible New Coaster - Rumor - (5/30/11) A reader has sent in new pictures from Dollywood showing off features of the 2012 project, as seen from the Slidewinder queue. Clearing, construction of footers, and a fairly large hole have all been dug alongside the Slidewinder pathway in preparation for whatever the park has in store for 2012. And near the top, next to the Slidewinder launch area, it also appears that they have relocated an existing maintenance building. According to our source, this appears to them to have been a maintenance building that was formerly located down the hill, closer to the top of Daredevil Falls.
(5/24/11) A fellow Screamscape reader dropped into Dollywood last week and sent back a nice batch of construction pictures from the site of the new 2012 mystery attraction. From what I’m told, the only ‘clue’ Dollywood seems to be giving up right now is in the form of the huge blue cloudy skyline they’ve decorated the construction wall with, which kind of suggests that the attraction could have a flying or aerial theme to it.
The majority of visible construction where Timber Canyon and Craftsmen Valley meet, near Adventure Mountain and the Zip Line attraction. I’ve also been told that it looks as if some clearing may have taken place behind Mystery Mine, and where the pathway leading up to the Mountain Slidewinder. According to our photographer, since the largest site clearing was taking place across from Adventure Mountain, they suspect that this may be where the station building for the ride may be located.
They also sent in an aerial map showing off the general site areas. The red circles are said to be what look like concrete footers, easy to see from the Slidewinder pathway. The yellow area is where it seems several trees have been removed and the Orange area is where the major land excavation is taking place, from the pathway all the way back to the side of the Blazing Fury building.
(5/11/11) Coaster101 has posted a new update from the park, showing off their trip on the park’s SkyZip attraction, where they got a good look at several new survey markers and early construction clearing taking place for the 2012 attraction. They even marked the sites on an overhead map so you can get an idea of where things are taking place right now. Check it out.
On a related note, you can read the chat with Pete Owens posted to ThrillNetwork where he confirms they will announce the name of the 2012 ride “in the sky over Knoxville” at the Boomsday event. He also confirms that the ride is taller than 11 feet and than it will be a “first” for a park in the United States.
(3/30/11) I’ve heard some interesting details about a local event in Knoxville called “Boomsday” which will take place on September 4th, 2011. I’m told that Boomsday is a big annual fireworks festival, but the big news is that Dollywood is planning to announce their new 2012 attraction at Boomsday. This matches up with the hints Dollywood has released so far about making a very unique announcement for the new attraction.
Now… call me crazy, but if your going to announce a new ride at a fireworks festival, it says to me that the ride could very well have a very “explosive” theme perhaps. Stay tuned!

Here is the map found on Screamscape:

db_2011_0519_Dollywood991.jpg

Okay. The track is blue, while the supports are brown. And we're pretty sure it's a wingrider.

As much as I want a terrain-hugging coaster built at Dollywood, I think this is going to be a sky coaster, one that flies over the treeline.

Or at least that's what I'm hoping for, because the fewer trees knocked down, the better. And wingriders leave an extremely wide footprint.

Last edited:
Going to be heading to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg next week. Can't wait to go to Dollywood. Might provide and update for you guys.

Any tips, recommendations, pointers for shooting, etc for a first timer to the park?

Jake your gonna love Dollywood, its one of my favorites. A few notes,

-If you have the budget get the Q-Bot, if not focus on hitting Mystery Mine, Blazing Fury, and the Country Fair section early.
-Foods like BBQ Pork, Home made Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and the Cinnamon Bread are a must!
-Must see attractions include MM, Thunderhead, Blazing Fury, Adventure Mtn, Sky Zip, Mountain Sidewinder, the Dollywood Express, and the Tennessee Tornado. Wait for the front row on Thunderhead and the back row of Tennessee Tornado.
-Also during my last visit Dollywood had an option so you could visit the park the night before your visit for a few hours before closing. Might want to check this out.

-Also during my last visit Dollywood had an option so you could visit the park the night before your visit for a few hours before closing. Might want to check this out.

Yes. If you enter the park after 3 pm you can come back the next day for free.

--- Update ---

Oh! And if you are willing to sneak a camera on to Thunderhead, the track pieces for next year's coaster are apparently behind it. Although you could try the train as well.

Huge thanks for the tips guys. I'm really excited to go to the park. I've heard great things about it from multiple parties so I'm really excited.

Have a blast! I'm heading there for the first time in August so I'll be looking forward to your tips. haha