Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 22 Discussion

Hatetofly Knotts Scary is the Grandaddy of all things Haunt. Universal has taken it and really improved a lot but then they are a movie studio and have a huge budget. Also. The thing people forget is that Universal can make these props that a lot of people have to buy and when you can make things it is a lot cheaper. Also We where told (October Fade and myself) on our behind the Screams tour is that they spent a lot of the Budget on interior this year so they had to cut back on Zones and House facades. So there is budget limits even for HHN. 3rd Staffing more houses and more scarezone is also a huge job, They hire between 1500-1600 hundred people for the vent and they lose 10-15 percent with in a week or so of the event. Imagine having to go to work all those nights when you have a full time job or school would be tough.

Also Bill and Ted Will have President Obama and Whoever he is running against in the show you can write that down as a guarantee.

Hatetofly Knotts Scary is the Grandaddy of all things Haunt. Universal has taken it and really improved a lot but then they are a movie studio and have a huge budget. Also. The thing people forget is that Universal can make these props that a lot of people have to buy and when you can make things it is a lot cheaper. Also We where told (October Fade and myself) on our behind the Screams tour is that they spent a lot of the Budget on interior this year so they had to cut back on Zones and House facades. So there is budget limits even for HHN. 3rd Staffing more houses and more scarezone is also a huge job, They hire between 1500-1600 hundred people for the vent and they lose 10-15 percent with in a week or so of the event. Imagine having to go to work all those nights when you have a full time job or school would be tough.

Also Bill and Ted Will have President Obama and Whoever he is running against in the show you can write that down as a guarantee.

I didn't feel the facades took a hit this year. In fact, Winter's Night was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, and Saws'n'Steam was the best ever for a Jaws queue house. Definitely felt it in the streets, though... Acid Assault and Grown Evil were the only zones that felt fully realized in terms of their sets (as much as I loved 7).

Staffing is always an issue no matter what type of business it is. Haunts are no exceptions so I feel staffing is irrelevant to not being able to add one more house for next year. As for the event being the grand daddy I was really referring it to the Central Florida market as thats where 70+ % of the revenue comes from.

I'm all for a house that is crazier than the rest, but something tells me I'd leave furious. I follow the event from the second it updates in June/July all the way through the events completion. I'm not the type of person that would be ok turning down a top house. However, I'm also a college student who already spends WAY too much going to this event. I went five times this year. That's $80 for an FFP pass plus whatever gas is split among friends for five trips. And now on top of that I'm supposed to pay another $40 (per walkthrough) to get the "full experience"? I've never personally been in Alone at BGT, but NO house is worth $40. Not even close. Hell, that's the price of a FULL TICKET some nights with the coke discount. Who wants to pay 100% extra?

This tells me that I'll ultimately err on the side of not wasting more money, but I'll be damn pissed about it.

As for the two park thing...I don't think it's happening for a while yet. There's just no reason. As good as I thought some of the scarezones were this year, there's still plenty of the park that's left as deadspace. They can't possibly staff a 2 park event effectively. Not without creating a hell of a lot of deadspace. The "half IOA-half USF" idea would have merit, except that almost all of USF would need to be used. The Parade Building and the tent houses are almost as good as soundstages at this point. They're not going to be ditched. IOA simply doesn't have as many quality house locations.

A lot of my friends, and myself included were finding it hard to make it to one night of HHN this year. While locals and people with free days could do the multi-day event most people on average don't have the time to or just don't. I think that the event as Blizzrock said should fill out Studios before Islands is even considered. From Jaws to New York is a dead zone and areas of New York were dead as well this year. Not to mention Production Central had nothing, but that may be because of Despicable Me. I know that Hollywood uses their Terminator building for a haunt and I think Shrek 4-D as well. Could Orlando use those locations as well? I wouldn't want an upcharge house, but another small house would be cool.

Hatetofly you lost me with the 70 percent thing. Also I have to laugh at you people who think HHN is pricey if you live in Florida. I come from Georgia and know people who come from as far as Massachusetts. We spend lots more on gas, flights, hotels and food to do the event and a lot of people can't even get discounts to do the event. If you want to do something you find the money and the Time. I have always laughed at people who can't make it to howl-o-scream because it is an hour drive. True people who want to go see haunts find a way. My favorite haunt is a 200 mile round trip from my house and I do it 3 times a year.

People seem to find money to buy 40 dollar hoodies, 13 dollar pins, 25 dollar shirts, 10 dollar drinks and pricey dinners at theme park restaurants so an Upcharge house would sell out every night just like ALONE does. Universal started the talk about an extreme upcharge house years ago but the logistics of it make it very hard but one day it will happen. HOS makes a small fortune on it and HHN sees that. I mean HOS saw the money being made on shots and mixed drinks and figured a way to do that also.

But I also predict a restaurant themed haunt this year I will say that every year till it happens.

Hatetofly you lost me with the 70 percent thing. Also I have to laugh at you people who think HHN is pricey if you live in Florida. I come from Georgia and know people who come from as far as Massachusetts. We spend lots more on gas, flights, hotels and food to do the event and a lot of people can't even get discounts to do the event. If you want to do something you find the money and the Time. I have always laughed at people who can't make it to howl-o-scream because it is an hour drive. True people who want to go see haunts find a way. My favorite haunt is a 200 mile round trip from my house and I do it 3 times a year.

People seem to find money to buy 40 dollar hoodies, 13 dollar pins, 25 dollar shirts, 10 dollar drinks and pricey dinners at theme park restaurants so an Upcharge house would sell out every night just like ALONE does. Universal started the talk about an extreme upcharge house years ago but the logistics of it make it very hard but one day it will happen. HOS makes a small fortune on it and HHN sees that. I mean HOS saw the money being made on shots and mixed drinks and figured a way to do that also.

But I also predict a restaurant themed haunt this year I will say that every year till it happens.

"HA HA HA! Your money situation is less fortunate than mine! HA HA HA!"

I don't see a problem with an upcharge house at HHN. I mean, right now you can either do HHN for as little as $30 on opening weekend or as much as what.. $80 a ticket? Then you can choose to add upwards of $90 for Express? Or the RIP Tour? There's plenty of options to upgrade your experience at HHN as it is. An upcharge experience would just be another option. I know plenty of people who go to HOS and choose not to do Alone.

You get what you pay for. If you pay for an elite experience in a special haunted house, then you'll get an elite experience in a special haunted house. Simple as that.

If Universal was to do an upcharge haunted house, they'd make a killing in terms of profit. Anybody denying this needs to simply reference Howl-O-Scream. And anybody still trying to differentiate the two events and claiming that it simply wouldn't work at HHN needs to wake-up.

You get what you pay for. If you pay for an elite experience in a special haunted house, then you'll get an elite experience in a special haunted house. Simple as that.

If Universal was to do an upcharge haunted house, they'd make a killing in terms of profit. Anybody denying this needs to simply reference Howl-O-Scream. And anybody still trying to differentiate the two events and claiming that it simply wouldn't work at HHN needs to wake-up.

Yup. You get what you pay for is by far the best way to attribute HHN. I've payed 40 bucks for haunts before that include 4-5 houses, and boy does it show. I'll gladly pay more for the hihest quality experience, which is what I got this year with HHN.

Personally, I feel that Luck was the worst Icon we have had so far. I felt that she failed to tie the event together like she should have. I would have preferred it if 2011 was Icon-less.

I hope universal learns from this year's mistake. If they have a really good strong theme then there is no need for an icon. (Yes, I know that the public has a strong demand for an Icon, they're really popular right now. But why even bother using an icon if you're only going to half-ass it like they did the last 2 years? I say no icon is better than a half-assed icon)

Personally, I feel that Luck was the worst Icon we have had so far. I felt that she failed to tie the event together like she should have. I would have preferred it if 2011 was Icon-less.

I hope universal learns from this year's mistake. If they have a really good strong theme then there is no need for an icon. (Yes, I know that the public has a strong demand for an Icon, they're really popular right now. But why even bother using an icon if you're only going to half-ass it like they did the last 2 years? I say no icon is better than a half-assed icon)

I didn't really think it was that bad. And there is always going to be a face for the advertising, and that's what LL was. Nothing more really.

I personally thought 2009's The Usher was worse- he wasn't the least bit frightening nor creepy. At least Lady Luck appeared more intimidating in the advertisements.

Well when it comes to Money, it is all different. First paying 40 dollars at HOS is a tad different you get 6 Houses 2 shows and all the coasters. So for 40 dollars you get a very good deal. Also if you do the Fright feast for 25 dollars additional you get a meal, and an hour and half of VIP including 30 minuutes of only fright feast guest in houses. At Universal if you 40 dollars you get 8 houses and the rides and 2 shows this year. But the cheapest express pass is 45 dollars and they go up to 90.00 on certain nights. HOS offers a VIP experiance for 150 that includes Parking, Dinner, Snack drinks, front of the line access to every house and coaster, and souvenir photo and admission to the event. At HHN you can go on a Saturday oay 70 for a ticket 70 for an express pass and 15 dollars to park and no drinks or meal. So money is what you make it. I go early to both events but i get more bang for my buck going early to HOS as the crowds are smaller and I get all my coaster rides in and the haunts and I don't feel as rushed since I dont buy an express pass. But I will say this year the openig Thursday was the smallest crowd i have seen in a long time.

GrandShazam you completely lost me about the Money situation. Because I have no idea how you know about my Money situation.

Again I am not making this post hhn vs HOs as I hate those kind of posts. I made a comment about an upcharge house and it lead to this...

I personally thought 2009's The Usher was worse- he wasn't the least bit frightening nor creepy. At least Lady Luck appeared more intimidating in the advertisements.

I thought that Luck was much better. She had a small presence in the event but at least she had a zone and was used in advertising. Usher did not even get on the posters. He had a house but the movies even overshadowed him in that. And Luck in her second form was terifying. I hope that she comes back again.

I actually enjoyed the Usher much more than Luck. I thought he was legit. creepy.

As for Luck's 2nd form being terrifying.....are we talking about in the commercials or in the scarezone?

I thought that Luck was much better. She had a small presence in the event but at least she had a zone and was used in advertising. Usher did not even get on the posters. He had a house but the movies even overshadowed him in that. And Luck in her second form was terifying. I hope that she comes back again.

The Usher was at least fully developed; he had a very eerie personality and a clear, concise backstory that tied everything together. While he didn't have any advertising devoted to him (2009's biggest mistake - why it couldn't have been "The Usher presents Wolfman, bla bla bla" is beyond me), they followed Bloody Mary's manner of integrating him into the event. He had the scare zone and photo op at the front gates, with a gate video chock full of new content (none of it could be found on the website). Projections of him leering at us and laughing maniacally were shown on MIB/New York buildings/etc. for wonderful atmosphere, and he had an excellent house (Silver Screams) that allowed you to experience his story. With the exception of the advertising/merchandise (which was out of A&D's control), he was the ideal icon.

I actually enjoyed the Usher much more than Luck. I thought he was legit. creepy.

As for Luck's 2nd form being terrifying.....are we talking about in the commercials or in the scarezone?

Agreed on that latter point. The commercial Lady Luck was very unnerving and scary... the masks seen inside the park were an embarrassment. (I do think The Usher could've been more corpse like in general to up the scariness a little. But at least his masked version looked pretty good!)

GrandShazam you completely lost me about the Money situation. Because I have no idea how you know about my Money situation.

You're right. I don't know anything about your money situation and I never implied that I did. I was replying with my interpretation of this comment:

Hence why I used quotation marks.

What I'm saying is that it seems rude to "laugh" at the idea that people in Florida think it's pricey. And I'm not saying that I think it's pricey. I think the FFP+ is one of the best deals a theme park has ever offered. But from the standpoint of someone who can only go once (which I was at one point), $70-$80 for each person can really burn a hole in your pocket.

It's great that you get to go to make the trips and everything but everyone's financial situation is different than yours.