Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 24: The Walking Dead: End of The Line

here's a question for the insiders (don't have to reveal anything it's a yes or no question) Is there another IP for this year that would soften the blow from this announcement and convince the people that expect "the same old thing" to take a second look and go?

There are a lot of big rumors floating around. No idea the validaty of them, but I've seen people on line talking about everything from Ghostbusters to Alien. So we'll see.

If what Fallow is saying is true, and reading between the lines from A&D comments on both coasts it seems to be, neither of them wanted to use it this year. If marketing people did shove it down their throats, and the event keeps hitting records, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back again.

...yep. That's the danger.

What really strikes me about the whole situation is the "mega-haunt" deal. People have been describing it as a way to sweeten the pot for A&D and fans. Ok, so if thats the case, then its obvious Universal knows people dislike the Walking Dead and just dont care. I mean, if they were under the impression that everyone liked it, what pot needed to be sweetened with the biggest house idea? Clearly Universal sees the benefits of The Walking Dead outweighing the complaints of some fans, and while I guess its nice that they threw us a bone with the largest house in history, it also proves that theyre acknowledging a certain distaste for it and simply dont care enough to remove it completely.

Again - A&D didn't want this. Pretty much everyone over there is done with the property. Their PR department has also picked up on the fact that the fans (and indeed a sector of the general public) are tired of it, too, and thus not only found a way to sweeten the deal (the mega haunt), but also literally prepare a video to help combat any backlash. Watch that video with the Aiello interview again - when was the last time they ever justified a new IP by reminding us that more original content would be coming?

The whole "mega house" thing isn't a bone for A&D or us, though. It's another marketing gimmick, a way to apply something more "epic" to the Walking Dead brand now that they've already done the "Walkers all over the park" schtick.

There are a lot of big rumors floating around. No idea the validaty of them, but I've seen people on line talking about everything from Ghostbusters to Alien. So we'll see.

It would be nice to see Ghostbusters since this year is the 30th anniversary, they could market it that way... Plus, the hell houds from the first one, or whatever you want to call them, would make for great puppets to scare people. Just my opinion...

What really strikes me about the whole situation is the "mega-haunt" deal. People have been describing it as a way to sweeten the pot for A&D and fans. Ok, so if thats the case, then its obvious Universal knows people dislike the Walking Dead and just dont care. I mean, if they were under the impression that everyone liked it, what pot needed to be sweetened with the biggest house idea?
I think, while it may partially be because they know some don't want it, it's because they don't want people to get bored of the idea. A lot of people love TWD, but this has been done for 2 years now at HHN, so the question becomes what else can you do with the franchise that you haven't done in order to keep people interested and also please the hardcore fans of the series.

You guys have to remember, we are just a small % of the HHN going population. The majority is just the casual crowd who is just looking for a fun time and many of whom are probably TWD fans.

So event is hitting attendance records, merchandise selling like crazy, and we are bashing Universal for bringing it back. I get that WD may be getting old, but its one house and they did a great job with last years house (much better than year 1). I think if last years house had not had the stigma of "WD" that many would have liked it better. Boo Universal for wanting to make money.

You guys have to remember, we are just a small % of the HHN going population. The majority is just the casual crowd who is just looking for a fun time and many of whom are probably TWD fans.

I don't think this applies to this backlash. I've never seen them have to address why they chose to bring it back through Twitter or by a PR video. They didn't do that for us.

So event is hitting attendance records, merchandise selling like crazy, and we are bashing Universal for bringing it back. I get that WD may be getting old, but its one house and they did a great job with last years house (much better than year 1). I think if last years house had not had the stigma of "WD" that many would have liked it better. Boo Universal for wanting to make money.

I think the original backlash was due to the lack of intel of how much WD was coming. Nobody wanted to see an entire WD event again. Once the info was shared that they would just be confined to the mega-house, the outrage died down.

I don't want to get too much into this, but when your creatives don't want to do something, it's probably a good idea to not do it. Focusing on money will only get you so far in a creative industry like theme parks

I am definitely looking forward to the tunnel! Begin the experience with the prison and have this part done quite claustrophobic, then change the entire mood to an agoraqphobic forest setting (think ET queue line filled with zombies), then the long dark tunnel, then Terminus, suddnely moving through warehouses etc ... I can see this being great :)

I don't think this applies to this backlash. I've never seen them have to address why they chose to bring it back through Twitter or by a PR video. They didn't do that for us.
You could very well be right. But most everyone on this thread is over TWD at HHN, so idk if scrutinizing wording in a video is fair reasoning.

I don't want to get too much into this, but when your creatives don't want to do something, it's probably a good idea to not do it. Focusing on money will only get you so far in a creative industry like theme parks

This. People may have paid for it last year, but TWD was an unimpressive experience and likely won't be the draw it was last year. Plus the show will lose steam at some point, Universal needs to be prepared to move on from this property...

You could very well be right. But most everyone on this thread is over TWD at HHN, so idk if scrutinizing wording in a video is fair reasoning.

It's not just this thread though. If you go to the official HHN facebook, there's a fair amount of people that are over it too.

I agree but cant let creative make all the decisions either. Seems like a pretty good compromise if that is the case. One big house with no scare zones (thankfully).

thanks to everybody who answered my question. Keeps me hopeful but you have to realize horror nights is a expensive event and for people that only go once the entire year (me) might hold off buying a ticket this year because they might be misguided thinking we will get the same crap the last two years. I really don't think it was a smart idea marketing wise to announce this house first because it raises a ton of questions. Here's to the next announcement leaving a better response

thanks to everybody who answered my question. Keeps me hopeful but you have to realize horror nights is a expensive event and for people that only go once the entire year (me) might hold off buying a ticket this year because they might be misguided thinking we will get the same crap the last two years. I really don't think it was a smart idea marketing wise to announce this house first because it raises a ton of questions. Here's to the next announcement leaving a better response

Are you a local with an annual pass? The HHN Frequent Fear and Frequent Fear Plus are actually really good deals especially with the discount, $89 really can't be beat. Almost the same price as just a Saturday pass. I got the FFP + Express last year and even though it was definitely way pricier I feel like it was definitely worth it.

Are you a local with an annual pass? The HHN Frequent Fear and Frequent Fear Plus are actually really good deals especially with the discount, $89 really can't be beat. Almost the same price as just a Saturday pass. I got the FFP + Express last year and even though it was definitely way pricier I feel like it was definitely worth it.

no i'm a Tampa kid, that's a hour long drive witch isn't bad but still :angry:. My hope is to save up for a 2 day horror nights and diagon trip near my birthday. I'm sure the price will be worth it especially with that mindblow IP everybody is hinting at

- - - Updated - - -

LOL! I just peeked at their facebook. What a nightmare of complaints!

oh my god man I know. I've been scrolling down a giant wall of comments yet I've not seen one positive one. This is like a Jaws level backlash

the real problem is making all the scarezones about Walking Dead. that is what made people be so mad at WD. If they only had one house and maybe one scarezone or two, I think people would have been fine with WD returning. But last year was complete overkill.

This, this, this, so much this. Keeping the creatives from... you know, being creative, and forcing them to do things they don't want to is going to result in turnover. Spoilers: it already has!

the real problem is making all the scarezones about Walking Dead. that is what made people be so mad at WD. If they only had one house and maybe one scarezone or two, I think people would have been fine with WD returning. But last year was complete overkill.
Exactly the house wasn't the issue. If the streets didn't happen last year i'm almost positive we'd all be looking at this with a little bit of concern but still hopeful