Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

ahh ok, well atleast let us film the houses. Just don't let any jackasses with giant lights come in

NO! I had someone try to record in front of me in Halloween. With the phone screen and then them walking slow as **** to get all the scares. Have a media night where they can all do that but not ever during regular hours. Luckily the first employee they passed shut them down but still ****ing annoying.

Universal should record each house with perfect timing in 4k along with bill and Ted and sell a bluray for like 50 bucks. I would buy it each year. I would assume they do catalog everything and just keep it private. Kinda cool what they have been doing with the behind the sscene stuff on the blog.

ahh ok, well atleast let us film the houses. Just don't let any jackasses with giant lights come in
Yeah, I was just trying to appreciate all the work being put into AVP and got pulled aside by some douche TM who literally grabbed my arm and ttold me I need to stop recording and put my phone away immediately. I get if it's something in a contract, but post it outside or something then so less people are coming in trying to take vids/pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Universal seriously needs to let up on the recording. It'll only be there for a month, let us preserve it
Also, i'm sure Universal video taped it. So there is a recording floating somewhere most likely, but it's only for internal preservation purposes.

And again, sucks about Bill if true. Really hope they find a suitable replacement. I've come so used to seeing him as bill, when I think of the character, I think of him, not Alex Winter much of the time.

For the longest time I never understood why they don't sell Blu-Rays of the house walk throughs and especially Bill & Ted since they are recorded each year for sure. Some fine folks on here helped me realize the issues involved like music licensing. Yes they do film them though, back before we had the stupid human videos it was clips of past B&T shows for the preshow every year.

I liked the past clips a lot better than the new videos, it created a much better energy and nostalgia in the audience. Plus it wasn't impossible to start a wave back then :'(

they let the media record the houses in 2012 and 2013 and post it online....

now this year they only let them show avp and halloween... i am not sure why universal didn't let sites like behindthethrills release the videos of all the houses this year.

that was really awesome of 2012 for us to see videos of the houses. i wish they let them record giggles and dollhouse. it really is a shame that they didnt let them

now this year they only let them show avp and halloween... i am not sure why universal didn't let sites like behindthethrills release the videos of all the houses this year.

that was really awesome of 2012 for us to see videos of the houses. i wish they let them record giggles and dollhouse. it really is a shame that they didnt let them

IIRC I've seen "highlight" videos of dollhouse, WD, and FDTD from sources like behindthethrills and TPR. I don't think they let anyone film full walkthroughs this year, but I think they did partial recordings from all of the houses.

My understanding was media was allowed to film all the houses but had to pick two to upload per uor pr. Many choose the two biggest named houses.

As for releasing video, many companies do this for internal use or PR reasons. Problem when you release a a video it never fully captures the atmosphere and experience. Many times it's lighting or other issues. BMG records each version of their show but never releases it. As for Bill and Ted it's probably because they don't want to get into a fair use/parody legal battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
A DVD is a must at this point, they already film everything for PR and montages so why not just give us the footage or put it in a book after the event is over? I can understand B&T but again I'd buy a $30 DVD of a pro shot version of the show every year. Money universal, I have it and I'm ready to spend it

^The market isn't big enough for that type of thing. Most people don't care about the houses after the event is over, they're just ready for the next year. The main draw of a haunted house (the scares and physical aspect of walking through) are lost in the translation to media...while a few superfans would love a DVD of walkthroughs for nostalgic purposes or to admire the sets and effects, I think most people just don't care enough to buy a DVD for that reason. Universal won't mass produce something only a select few will bother with.

^The market isn't big enough for that type of thing. Most people don't care about the houses after the event is over, they're just ready for the next year. The main draw of a haunted house (the scares and physical aspect of walking through) are lost in the translation to media...while a few superfans would love a DVD of walkthroughs for nostalgic purposes or to admire the sets and effects, I think most people just don't care enough to buy a DVD for that reason. Universal won't mass produce something only a select few will bother with.
Limited Edition...I would pay

Pretty sure royalties would take on a whole new level if UNI sold DVD's. For the houses that use IP's, chances are the IP owners would not go for (or they would charge a lot more for the use fees) if UNI were to sell videos. I think it would make securing IPs real tough.

When it comes to Bill and Ted and the music used in each show, paying ASCAP and BMI for a performance fee should be rather easy and straight forward...but once it becomes selling that performance in a recorded form, I believe that takes on a whole different aspect of royalty fees and permissions.

Well then again they have the rights to those IPs aswell as the right to market and distribute merch. Shouldn't be that hard to sell a disc with them on it. Bill and ted DVD wise is out of the question because of music alone

Well then again they have the rights to those IPs aswell as the right to market and distribute merch. Shouldn't be that hard to sell a disc with them on it. Bill and ted DVD wise is out of the question because of music alone

Not necessarily. They have rights to use certain IP's in certain houses for one and a half months. The IP owner can negotiate everything from soundtrack to merch...basically everything. Case in point, Universal couldnt use the Halloween theme music in the radio commercials. The contracts outline only what they can use specifically and I doubt release of DVD's (from which Universal would profit) is specified in such a contract.

- - - Updated - - -

Limited Edition...I would pay

The amount of people who would pay for this is less than the amount they would have to make to keep store shelves stocked. It will never happen, IP negotiation issues aside.

The right are probably for a limited time and only for certain things. That's why you don't see shirts for certain IP houses.

The right are probably for a limited time and only for certain things. That's why you don't see shirts for certain IP houses.

But wouldn't a limited edition DVD fit into that catagory? They already have that youtube video showing off all the different houses in segments. Also what if next year was all original, would there be any problems then? There have to be ways around it

But wouldn't a limited edition DVD fit into that catagory? They already have that youtube video showing off all the different houses in segments. Also what if next year was all original, would there be any problems then? There have to be ways around it

Universal doesn't profit off of Youtube clips so the IP-owners don't have much to say in the way of legality on the issue. A DVD for sale is a different story, though, since then Universal is making money off of someone else's property. The thing about these HHN contracts is that they are written tightly. The owners of Halloween didn't just say "here's the movie, do with it what you will"...it's more like "you can use these specific characters in this context, use these settings, use this music in this environment but not this environment, have this type of merch for this amount of time, have our logo take up x% space of advertising", etc. Everything they can and can't do is outlined specifically and there isn't wiggle room. So unless an IP-owner says "you may use our characters in a DVD" then Universal can't do much. And since no such DVD exists or has ever existed, there's no reason to specify such a thing in a contract--therefore no DVD release.

Sorry for the drawn-out post but I've always thought copyright laws were pretty interesting, but a lottt goes into how this stuff works.

Universal doesn't profit off of Youtube clips so the IP-owners don't have much to say in the way of legality on the issue. A DVD for sale is a different story, though, since then Universal is making money off of someone else's property. The thing about these HHN contracts is that they are written tightly. The owners of Halloween didn't just say "here's the movie, do with it what you will"...it's more like "you can use these specific characters in this context, use these settings, use this music in this environment but not this environment, have this type of merch for this amount of time, have our logo take up x% space of advertising", etc. Everything they can and can't do is outlined specifically and there isn't wiggle room. So unless an IP-owner says "you may use our characters in a DVD" then Universal can't do much. And since no such DVD exists or has ever existed, there's no reason to specify such a thing in a contract--therefore no DVD release.

Sorry for the drawn-out post but I've always thought copyright laws were pretty interesting, but a lottt goes into how this stuff works.

Well they could always just do a fan DVD with their original content only...Give it out as a Legendary Truth/Compound grand prize

Oh no don't be sorry, I love hearing about it incredibly interesting and insightful. Thanks for the imput