Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Asylum in Wonderland 3D

If you look up at the right moments, you can still see the Shrek "S" banners hanging in the main theater and then some of the torture devices in the preshow room.

I think this house is taking unnecessary heat. It's right up there with In-Between for me as an excellent 3D house.

If you look up at the right moments, you can still see the Shrek "S" banners hanging in the main theater and then some of the torture devices in the preshow room.

I think this house is taking unnecessary heat. It's right up there with In-Between for me as an excellent 3D house.

There's heat on this house? :lol:

Most reviews I've seen is generally positive in the middle of the pack.

There's heat on this house? :lol:

Most reviews I've seen is generally positive in the middle of the pack.

Lot of people on Twitter and other forums like Nightmare are trashing it on the basis that it isn't scary. Frankly, I think it has some good scares, and even when it isn't, it's still a feast for the eyes. It also managed to be a cohesive house with a clear story, which most houses can't say, much less a 3D one.

I remember seeing those!!! It's pretty insane how they made this house, very impressed at how they utilized it's space. I also completely agree, not every house has to be scary. This was just a really cool experience with a ton of fantastic costumes and probably the best 3D effects in a house ever. Universal has really perfected the craft and I hope more 3D houses like this one are in the future

I've seen people on Facebook diss this house. Personally, I love it!
It always amazes me each year how subjective everything at HHN is. From houses to B&T to scare zones. I've heard everything from everything this year was the best it's ever been to this is the worst year in HHN history. I think the issue is reality matching expectations. I know for me from experience over the years I know that whatever houses I'm anticipating the most I'm not necessarily going to like the most. 3D houses in particular can be very different than what people think they will be. You really have to go into HHN with an open mind.

It always amazes me each year how subjective everything at HHN is. From houses to B&T to scare zones. I've heard everything from everything this year was the best it's ever been to this is the worst year in HHN history. I think the issue is reality matching expectations. I know for me from experience over the years I know that whatever houses I'm anticipating the most I'm not necessarily going to like the most. 3D houses in particular can be very different than what people think they will be. You really have to go into HHN with an open mind.

You'll always find contrarian opinions--sometimes my own--but it feels like generally a consensus builds around the very good and the very bad of the event. It's these middle-of-the-road houses that give issues: some want every house to be a home run (2011 only year that came close), others see the good in an otherwise average maze. I'd cite Run as another example this year.

Indeed, a lot think run is crap, I find it a fun house to walk through myself. Last week I was in run and the first scareactor looked at me and said 'hey it us heath slater', first time ever I got compared to a wrestler (usually people think I am a rock star lol), really set the tone for me, had a great time :)

They're living, breathing beasts with multiple factors influencing your opinion about quality including the guests in front/behind you, the cast you see, the timing, time of day, etc.

There are people who will say a dark maze with no theming in which every actor targets / hits them is better than a Body a Collector quality themed house in which all the actors target the group in front.

That's the beauty - so many factors that determine what is "good" and what is "quality." Is it sets? Is it scare factor? Is it effects and lighting?

For most it's a combination.

These beasts are judged on very personal levels.

For example: I don't think 2011 every house was a home run. Not in the least. Not even close. But that's my personal opinion and it doesn't downgrade or diminish SeventyOne's experience. And that's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this house. Sure, it's not terrifying, but it has a few good scares and the sets are fantastic. The sets blew me away, especially those jumping monkey dudes at the beginning!

Indeed, a lot think run is crap, I find it a fun house to walk through myself. Last week I was in run and the first scareactor looked at me and said 'hey it us heath slater', first time ever I got compared to a wrestler (usually people think I am a rock star lol), really set the tone for me, had a great time :)
I thought Run was great, I must have gotten the better cast.

the reason I personally dislike this house has nothing to do with being scary. (not really)

It has to do with the fact that most of the theming is painted walls and recycled 3D rooms (like the Christmas light room for example) For me painted walls are not as great as full sets. glowing paint and Christmas lights are nice and everything but sometimes I wonder what would a 2D Alice in Wonderland house would have been like. with the kind of sets Scary tales had.

some rooms are recycled rooms from other 3D houses and some are just walls with paint... not really that great to be honest.

Run and Roanoke have been my favorite houses this and last year. While most cringe at the thought of those houses, my personal experiences with them were just phenominal. I never thought of it as subjective but my god it's insanely true, part of the reason I love horror nights so much. It's never the same thing twice, I had the worst run through of walking dead this year then an amazing one the next. Stuff like that just keeps you coming back and hungry for more. So if someone doesn't like a house that you love, just let them because they didn't have the same experience you had in it. They probably would've liked it more if so

the reason I personally dislike this house has nothing to do with being scary. (not really)

It has to do with the fact that most of the theming is painted walls and recycled 3D rooms (like the Christmas light room for example) For me painted walls are not as great as full sets. glowing paint and Christmas lights are nice and everything but sometimes I wonder what would a 2D Alice in Wonderland house would have been like. with the kind of sets Scary tales had.

some rooms are recycled rooms from other 3D houses and some are just walls with paint... not really that great to be honest.

3D houses serve a purpose; to offer a disorienting experience with easy, quick scares at a budget price. That's why so many are either good or bad with no middle ground.

3D houses serve a purpose; to offer a disorienting experience with easy, quick scares at a budget price. That's why so many are either good or bad with no middle ground.

yeah I definitely understand that, I just wish they didn't use Alice in Wonderland for the 3D house (I would have gladly waited to have a 2D fully built Alice house for 2016 instead)
Makes me wish they would have used something else if they really wanted to have a 3D house this year, some other original concept (Alice in Wonderland is not even an original concept technically)

I get that this year it was more about having the 9 houses and all of that, just kind of makes me sad that it was Alice, While they did the best they could and the costumes are really nice, it feel to me like a little bit of a wasted opportunity.
Everyone seems to say this was a fun house but I have not really seen anyone saying this was a good faithful adaptation of Alice in wonderland in house form (if that makes sense)
And like I said before, I know i am in the minority with the dislike, but like I was saying, it is not because it isn't scary. it just is not that good on repeat visits.

yeah I definitely understand that, I just wish they didn't use Alice in Wonderland for the 3D house (I would have gladly waited to have a 2D fully built Alice house for 2016 instead)
Makes me wish they would have used something else if they really wanted to have a 3D house this year, some other original concept (Alice in Wonderland is not even an original concept technically)

I get that this year it was more about having the 9 houses and all of that, just kind of makes me sad that it was Alice, While they did the best they could and the costumes are really nice, it feel to me like a little bit of a wasted opportunity.
Everyone seems to say this was a fun house but I have not really seen anyone saying this was a good faithful adaptation of Alice in wonderland in house form (if that makes sense)
And like I said before, I know i am in the minority with the dislike, but like I was saying, it is not because it isn't scary. it just is not that good on repeat visits.

I know it's just a matter of personal preference, but I think the 3D lent itself creatively for Alice. The story is known for the "trippy" nature of it all.

And it seems it's been a good payoff for the most part as most are enjoying, but different strokes.

I don't know what they did to the tunnel, but it is the most disorientating tunnel I've ever been in..

normally I can walk through them fine, but this one had me stumbling..