Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Seems to me to be the perfect opportunity to open up some space back there, whilst truly making Hulk the greatest coaster in the world. Always found the 2nd half to be utterly forgettable...unlike Kumba and Kraken which maintain my interest throughout.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Am I correct that the first break run out back is intended to slow the train just a bit? Always seemed that way to me. What if they no longer slow the train? How much energy is there left to pull a new move of some kind; a higher rise or corkscrew?

We've touched upon this here and there but I don't think it's been directly answered: Does anyone know WHY, specifically, is the track is being replaced?

I know theme parks like the back of my hand, but I don't know that much about coasters. In my limited knowledge, I haven't heard of steel tracks being completely replaced after just 16 years of operation. It seems a little odd to me. Is this normal? By that logic, is Dragons due for a replacement next? Part of me feels like there had to be some sort of imminent safety reason, like unexpected fracturing of the steel. I'm totally pulling that reason out of my *** but my point is that companies don't just routinely replace an entire coaster with the same coaster. They are basically paying to build the same coaster twice, (minus the R+D). Seems like there must be a bigger reason.

If anyone has any accurate factual info, please share!

We've touched upon this here and there but I don't think it's been directly answered: Does anyone know WHY, specifically, is the track is being replaced?

I know theme parks like the back of my hand, but I don't know that much about coasters. In my limited knowledge, I haven't heard of steel tracks being completely replaced after just 16 years of operation. It seems a little odd to me. Is this normal? By that logic, is Dragons due for a replacement next? Part of me feels like there had to be some sort of imminent safety reason, like unexpected fracturing of the steel. I'm totally pulling that reason out of my *** but my point is that companies don't just routinely replace an entire coaster with the same coaster. They are basically paying to build the same coaster twice, (minus the R+D). Seems like there must be a bigger reason.

If anyone has any accurate factual info, please share!

The guess I have is due to the heavier track that needs to be added for the trains to work.

The guess I have is due to the heavier track that needs to be added for the trains to work.
I've been thinking this is the most plausible answer for a while. It's the only one that explains why the whole thing needs to be rebuilt. They could've stopped at the half way point as rumored but they did not. On a side note If they re-do the layout of the 2nd half after the corkscrew I am going 2 be very happy.

Could it be possible that they just wanted to enhance every aspect of one of their signature rides? The costs of dropping in a brand new B&M are a drop in the ocean to the costs of the likes of A Harry Potter expansion or Kong. It was very rough for large parts back in June.

Reactions: anihilnation
A redesign of the back half makes sense based on what we've seen so far. Its also a safe bet that if they are changing the launch, the first hill will need to be replaced. I guess its possible that they decided that since they were replacing half of it, they might as well replace all of it. I'm still going to have trouble believing that till I see the front half coming down. And if I see the front half come down, I'm going to bet that we a complete new layout.

But I still say, if the whole thing comes down, why not just sell the whole thing and drop a new one? They could get a lot more than scrap value for it.

Maybe they are actually going to make the coaster bigger. If you are going to remove and rebuilt the thing why not beef it up. Make the launch a little steeper and add some height then just have the same layout out front just size appropriate the elements and then fix the back half.

If the legs start to come out of the ground..there is a great chance hulk will be faster bigger and much more intimidating..lol and I just reimagined the hulk with a steeper launch and more speed a couple hours ago as sjago13 said. I just don't know if added speed could handle the dimensions of the cobra roll and that first 0g roll and other Inversions, because I don't believe either could be bigger. Think I heard once that hulk has the biggest cobra roll in the nation?

If it was an imminent safety reason it would have been closed immediately; not waiting it out until after Labor Day.

Of course. I meant an ongoing safety concern, like repeated repairs in one area or degrading structural integrity over time.

Could it be possible that they just wanted to enhance every aspect of one of their signature rides?

Yes, maybe. But it's not really consodered money well spent in this business. It's not very promotable; it won't get people to come to the park. "NEW IRON MAN COASTER!" will get people to visit. "UPGRADED HULK WITH SOME DIFFERENCES, BUT STILL THE SAME RIDE" is a confusing message and wont get people to visit.

That's why I feel there is a larger reason for the track replacement beyond just Uni deciding to drop a crapload of money on a huge project that offers little return on investment.

The ride was doing its job just fine before. Puzzling.

Spider Man was great as is, now it is greater and better by most accounts. Hulk wasn't falling apart or in danger of failure. It could have gone another 20 years as good ole Hulk. They just want another 20 years of Great Hulk.

Little known fact: Hulk was the first attraction to be abused by the same disastrous tech maintenance trickery that was executed on Gringott's only too recently.

Little known fact: Hulk was the first attraction to be abused by the same disastrous tech maintenance trickery that was executed on Gringott's only too recently.

Tsk tsk. Must get awfully boring during overnights to go experimenting with manual overrides.

Of course. I meant an ongoing safety concern, like repeated repairs in one area or degrading structural integrity over time.

Yes, maybe. But it's not really consodered money well spent in this business. It's not very promotable; it won't get people to come to the park. "NEW IRON MAN COASTER!" will get people to visit. "UPGRADED HULK WITH SOME DIFFERENCES, BUT STILL THE SAME RIDE" is a confusing message and wont get people to visit.

That's why I feel there is a larger reason for the track replacement beyond just Uni deciding to drop a crapload of money on a huge project that offers little return on investment.

The ride was doing its job just fine before. Puzzling.

Not so puzzling they can refurb Hulk without approval from Disney.Tearing down and building new ride would have to be approved.
I have not seen the contract but i wonder if refurbish cost comes out of Disney money ? or a least reduces the amount sent to Disney .
Universal gets a new ride in less than a year and Disney has to pay for at least some of it ?