VR Coaster Coming to Alton Towers | Inside Universal Forums

VR Coaster Coming to Alton Towers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm curious on how this works out. Until VR units change I doubt this will work effeciently enough beyond a curiosity.

Looks cool, but I already have concerns about load/unload times knowing how slow and inefficient the ride ops are there.

Yeah lawsuit for strangulation of VR unit cable or something!

I'm curious on how this works out. Until VR units change I doubt this will work efficiently enough beyond a curiosity.

Agreed, it's a bit like Sum of all Thrills, it's a gimmick for now

Looks cool, but I already have concerns about load/unload times knowing how slow and inefficient the ride ops are there.

The big bonus will be that Air being a flying coaster has duel loading stations.

Yeah lawsuit for strangulation of VR unit cable or something!

Agreed, it's a bit like Sum of all Thrills, it's a gimmick for now

Being attached to a coaster, takes it a step well beyond Sum of all Thrills. If this is how I imagine it, you can move your head and explore the world about you instead of fixing on a screen in front of you.

The big bonus will be that Air being a flying coaster has duel loading stations.
In my experience, Air usually has the worst ops of all the coasters. I'm never there during 'peak' season (the park isn't even open late and the wait times are ridiculous), but I can't remember last time I saw both stations operating.

In my experience, Air usually has the worst ops of all the coasters. I'm never there during 'peak' season (the park isn't even open late and the wait times are ridiculous), but I can't remember last time I saw both stations operating.

I've not been to Alton Towers since the weekend the Smiler was meant to open but I don't think Air was running both stations then either come to think of it. It doesn't really matter though, the option is there if it's needed and for the first months they have the option.Upon saying that, how busy do they expect the park to be? Even with the announcement on the BBC, they're bringing up the Smiler accident and I assume every other media outlet will do the same for the next few years.

They're saying that the capacity is 1500pph but that's Air's original one, between each ride they're going to have to wipe down each headset and make sure it's attached to all the new riders as well as checking the restraints.

Europa park has installed this on one of their rides and the throughput has roughly become a third of what it was. The figures are expected to be close-ish to this for Air as well, so expect long queues when this opens.

It's also worth noting that they are opening up a "Food Loop" restaurant next door taking up some of the space of the old Air shop.

Frame__0003jpeg.jpg

I was thinking the other day that if VR technology came far enough it would be sweet to see it mash together with a coaster somehow. I was thinking something along the lines of Manta simulating guests being in an Iron Man suit flying around fighting bad guys and what not. Obviously that is far away, but a cool thought. I'm intrigued by this project.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I was thinking the other day that if VR technology came far enough it would be sweet to see it mash together with a coaster somehow. I was thinking something along the lines of Manta simulating guests being in an Iron Man suit flying around fighting bad guys and what not. Obviously that is far away, but a cool thought. I'm intrigued by this project.

It's fairly new tech but it's certainly in the pipeline.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I thinks it is cool but sanitation is going be a huge problem if they use any eye/headsets.

That is my biggest concern. If they are taking time to sanitize the headsets between ride cycles like they should (lord knows a pink eye outbreak would be a terrible thing to happen, especially from a PR standpoint) then that will most certainly effect the rides hourly capacity in a very negative way.

To me a solution would be to have individual "goggles" that snap into the VR headset. Then the hard part (putting the 'visor' on) could be done in pre-load. Think of a system similar to how DisneyQuest did their old VR systems - the helmets were put on in the que and the visor snapped onto it.

Reactions: Jon84
That is my biggest concern. If they are taking time to sanitize the headsets between ride cycles like they should (lord knows a pink eye outbreak would be a terrible thing to happen, especially from a PR standpoint) then that will most certainly effect the rides hourly capacity in a very negative way.

Oh god, could you imagine the Daily Mail getting hold of that story!

I, for one am quite excited about Galactica, it's about time Air had some themeing (apart from the mop & bucket) only problem is, how will it tie into Forbidden Valley (not that Air EVER did!)

Galactica is set in a distant Forbidden Valley, 3016 the story says.

Welcome to the future! In 3016 Forbidden Valley was chosen as the new home for a new space port operated by Galactica - The Universe’s first spaceflight voyager.

Partnering with Air Space Technologies to develop a multi-dimensional portal using the Resort’s iconic flying coaster as the propulsion device, Galactica will send passengers soaring through interstellar space for the first time in history, providing unrivalled access to the limitless wonders of space as never experienced before.

Air Space Technologies... at least Air is still mentioned. But yeah, that side of Forbidden Valley is now 3016, and Nemesis is still 2016. Blade just sits there being rubbish, Ripsaw has been removed, Sub Terra will probably never reopen. And if SW8 ever comes about that's meant to be in Forbidden Valley. Probably themed around bunny rabbits or something that the public will find comforting and safe. And to fit the trend of not fitting in with anything else in Forbidden Valley.

air_concept_art_05.jpg

air_concept_art_06.jpg

Original Air concept depicts this oasis. It was going to be a peaceful area of the Valley that hadn't been invaded or attacked or involved in Nemeis' destruction. It would have at least fitted in a little, dunno how we got Air from this lovely looking concept. Another concept for its story was it would be the Phalanx's new Secret Weapon to attack Nemesis and remove its presence forever instead of it just being pinned down. Never happened. This was also a rumour for the VR, link you into the fight between the Phalanx and Nemesis and maybe even the babies that Sub Terra added to the story or heck even stuff from Sub Species at Scarefest. But no. We get space, cool but fits in less.

This was also a rumour for the VR, link you into the fight between the Phalanx and Nemesis and maybe even the babies that Sub Terra added to the story or heck even stuff from Sub Species at Scarefest. But no. We get space, cool but fits in less.

That would have been pretty cool for a concept. I watched Cloverfield last night and the end of the movie would have been great for a VR flying coaster.

I'm there opening day, haven't tried anything VR yet so should be interesting.
CdgqH5yW0AA-RQz.jpg

Portal looks good, and it has mist! That's about the limit of theming effects we get, and it'll probably brake after a week, but oh well! Merlin still try.

Reactions: Quint
I read that as 'I hurled through space'

I'm still quite intrigued by this technology and once The Smiler opens back up, I'll be sure to make a trip to Alton Towers.

Have the restraints changed?
Looks like they have covers on them to me?