Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it a "Water Theme Park"?!?

Jul 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
What, to you, would it take for this park to earn that title?

We know that it is going to have state of the art slides, a table service restaurant, night time "show", and virtual queues, but I think they'll be more.

I would like to see a Sunset Ceremony on the beach. A sort of mini luau with drummers and hula dancers chanting a wake up message to the volcano god. And other live streetmosphere around the park.

I would also like to see Resort Quality amenities like padded chaise lounges or at least none of those sweaty plastic strap chaises, and chilled water bottle refill stations. Also, if the park really is going to have a $100/day ticket, complimentary sunscreen dispensers in the restrooms would be cool.

Oh, and one more tiny thing, deep inside Krakatau should be the scary angry mythical Chernabalrog!

So what would it take for you guys to feel it's an actual theme park?

Perhaps to me, I see it as a different manner than what you are looking at it. They have to market it as something unique to what is currently there in Orando, and to some of an extent; they do have to.

Disney has two "well themed" water parks, Seaworld has two very distinct water parks that cater to different audiences, and Legoland to an extent; has a water park for everyone to enjoy.

With Universal, I have to think that the best bet is that they'll incorporate elements that all the other parks have succeeded in doing so, and doing things that are either record breakers (like the worlds tallest waterslide) or first of a kind rollouts of new and exciting things not seen in the Orlando theme park scene.

That's what I am curious to see in the responses of this park. And technically, going off by international marketing; you can say that Disney has six parks (counting the two waterparks) and Seaworld having three parks in Orlando. It just goes to how people see it from an international standpoint in my own POV.

Something I've never done but I've seen becoming less unusual is people visiting a park and not riding a single ride. They go for the atmosphere, food and drink or to visit an event.

If people are willing to visit VB without the intention of riding anything, I think it will work deserve the theme park name.

Something I've never done but I've seen becoming less unusual is people visiting a park and not riding a single ride. They go for the atmosphere, food and drink or to visit an event.

If people are willing to visit VB without the intention of riding anything, I think it will work deserve the theme park name.
If I have an AP to the park, I could easily see myself splitting my time between the lazy river, the quiet pool, and a bar stool while my girls go ride things.

Perhaps to me, I see it as a different manner than what you are looking at it. They have to market it as something unique to what is currently there in Orando, and to some of an extent; they do have to.

Disney has two "well themed" water parks, Seaworld has two very distinct water parks that cater to different audiences, and Legoland to an extent; has a water park for everyone to enjoy.

With Universal, I have to think that the best bet is that they'll incorporate elements that all the other parks have succeeded in doing so, and doing things that are either record breakers (like the worlds tallest waterslide) or first of a kind rollouts of new and exciting things not seen in the Orlando theme park scene.

That's what I am curious to see in the responses of this park. And technically, going off by international marketing; you can say that Disney has six parks (counting the two waterparks) and Seaworld having three parks in Orlando. It just goes to how people see it from an international standpoint in my own POV.

I just want to point out that it is the tallest in the US not the world. Wouldn't want that repeated often enough to make it an alternate truth.

Considering what a "theme park" evokes: rides, shows, dining experiences, retail, parades, fireworks, etc., I feel like they would have to push the envelope for what's found standard in water parks around the world to earn that title. So far, I don't see it.

For me it would have to have an assortment of rides, not just water. If it's all water based, then to me it's a water park.

When I think of theme park for me it's got multiple types. It's got water, plus roller coaster, plus 3d etc.. You got outdoor and indoor, like IOA. You have something like Spiderman, but then Hulk, but also water rides like Popeye and Dudley Do Right. If I want to get wet I have that option, if I don't feel like it then I also have that option.

VB has no options, it's all water based and that to me just makes it a water park. Not a theme park.

For me it would have to have an assortment of rides, not just water. If it's all water based, then to me it's a water park.

When I think of theme park for me it's got multiple types. It's got water, plus roller coaster, plus 3d etc.. You got outdoor and indoor, like IOA. You have something like Spiderman, but then Hulk, but also water rides like Popeye and Dudley Do Right. If I want to get wet I have that option, if I don't feel like it then I also have that option.

VB has no options, it's all water based and that to me just makes it a water park. Not a theme park.
So where does that leave Discovery Cove?

I believe that Universal is looking at it like the difference between theme parks and amusement parks. Six Flags and Cedar Point are Amusement Parks where the Disney, Uni, and Busch parks are theme parks.

By that logic, both Disney water parks would also be water theme parks. I think all it boils down to is having a unifying theme. I guess that would also put Aquatica in the water theme park category. But to be so bold as to actually use that label, I hope that Uni brings more to the table than Easter Island heads and tiki drinks.

As I was thinking. Volcano Bay would have to have a Roller Coaster of some kind or a few simulators, walk through attractions for it to be a Theme Park of any kind in my book. It's a water park that is themed,highly themed. At Least if I pay $100 for IOA,Universal, Any of the 4 Disney Parks, I know I'm getting multiple types of attractions (granted many repetitive) . I pay a $100 at Volcano Bay and they are all water based slides.Nothing wrong with that, but it does not make it a theme park. However Having thematic elements such as show scenes, characters, street performances, restaurant (Sit down), and guess interaction adventures does help Universal tout it as a theme park.

As I was thinking. Volcano Bay would have to have a Roller Coaster of some kind or a few simulators, walk through attractions for it to be a Theme Park of any kind in my book. It's a water park that is themed,highly themed. At Least if I pay $100 for IOA,Universal, Any of the 4 Disney Parks, I know I'm getting multiple types of attractions (granted many repetitive) . I pay a $100 at Volcano Bay and they are all water based slides.Nothing wrong with that, but it does not make it a theme park.
Exactly, it's themed and its a park but it's still all water based. Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon all themed but I'd consider them water parks also. Even if you go on Disney's website to buy tickets to get to the BB/TL tickets you have to click on "water parks."

Seawold has it's parks listed in categories, you have all the Seaworlds and Busch Gardens listed under "theme parks" and then you have the Aquatica's under water parks.

I'm not even sure what to call Discovery Cove. lol It's water activities with marine life. I don't consider that a theme park also in the same regard as IOA, etc.

More water coasters would help. Maybe a boat ride, shoot-the-chutes style? Make this grander than any water park you've ever seen on a much wider scale. For now, this is just a very orante, slightly-unique water park.

And what about things like Gatorland and The North Pole in Manitou, CO?

5a176d4c0424e71e03c15255c9ea5f58.jpg

North-pole-2.jpg

You know- so many things at VB are evolutionary. I don't know if any of it is revolutionary- but it definitely takes all aspects of great water parks and makes them even better. Almost in every single aspect. A table service restaurant? Night show? Those might be revolutionary but they're not ground breaking.
Street performers are a must. Male and female dancers, drummers, etc.

Something revolutionary and groundbreaking would be a full blown water ride in the vein of Spider-Man/Transformers. Something high thrill but you get wet in it with giant screens. This would clearly be on the expansion land- but think of a Poseidon (or in this case, some tiki god) ride that is as intense as Spider-Man with screens and sets like spider man. But it's all done while you're getting significantly wetter. Tell me that wouldn't be awesome. Go beyond a "4D theater".

Some ride like that would put it so over the top that you'd visit just for that ride.

Last edited:
^ yeah, a Bluto's or dudley type ride on steroids. Those types of rides would work in the park as the rides are designed to get wet. Rollercoasters and most dark rides really don't work in a park like this as they aren't really designed for people in swimwear.

^ yeah, a Bluto's or dudley type ride on steroids. Those types of rides would work in the park as the rides are designed to get wet. Rollercoasters and most dark rides really don't work in a park like this as they aren't really designed for people in swimwear.
I agree. A bluto ride would be great. No water parks have that. It's weird.
But I think a next generation dark ride could work in a water park. It could work if it was intense like transformers but you get soaked in it. And I'd love for universal to be the ones that attempted it and set the bar that all other parks compare themselves too.

I agree. A bluto ride would be great. No water parks have that. It's weird.
But I think a next generation dark ride could work in a water park. It could work if it was intense like transformers but you get soaked in it. And I'd love for universal to be the ones that attempted it and set the bar that all other parks compare themselves too.

It's just a question of how you do the tech. Those busbars and computers can't get soaked. Not to say it's impossible, but it would probably involve some wort of trackless tech where all of the ride vehicle components are sealed, but can somehow recharge at the station. Of course, we've seen how well the trackless tech has worked so far.