Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

So I just read through the article and didn't see anything about specifically touching any actors and it clearly keeps the goal to not "overdrink." I wouldn't participate in something like this, but it doesn't seem as harmful as implied by the way it is being discussed here. Maybe there was some sort of edit?
It keeps saying, "Take a selfie/video with X character or prop."

A blog like this (it's not journalism... the by-line is attributed to "Universal Soldier" which tells you all you need to know), disregards the job of the scareactors to... you know... scare. If this person works in the parks, they've never been a scareactor. I honestly doubt they're a park employee though. The whole thing reeks of passholder-entitlement, despite how responsible it strives to be.

So I just read through the article and didn't see anything about specifically touching any actors and it clearly keeps the goal to not "overdrink." I wouldn't participate in something like this, but it doesn't seem as harmful as implied by the way it is being discussed here. Maybe there was some sort of edit?

It's already changed from when I read it this morning (previous title, HHN Drinking Game; now, HHN Scavenger Hunt) with a paragraph disclaimer at the start. Don't worry, there's still a hashtag available (#HHNScavengerHunt) for everyone worried where to go from here without #HHNDrinkingGame.

It keeps saying, "Take a selfie/video with X character or prop."

A blog like this (it's not journalism... the by-line is attributed to "Universal Soldier" which tells you all you need to know), disregards the job of the scareactors to... you know... scare. If this person works in the parks, they've never been a scareactor. I honestly doubt they're a park employee though. The whole thing reeks of passholder-entitlement, despite how responsible it strives to be.

Don't get me wrong, I hate it. I agree it ruins the point of scareactors and is something I definitely think diminishes the event, BUT the way it was being talked about, (binge drinking, harassing) isn't what is being presented.

I'm not sure there are even dates attached to the meal cards. I'm pretty sue you can buy them and use them anytime in the future. From my experience in the past at least the rules weren't actually enforcible.

Are they allowing sealed beverages thru the gates this year? (Gatorade)
They allowed a sealed water bottle on Sunday night (jokes on them though there was a hole in the bottom leaking into my pocket). Last year is was hit or miss if you would make it through with a sealed or open drink bottle, I expect more of the same this year most likely.

I'd say last year I made it through 66% of the time with sealed water and/or gatorade.

They allowed a sealed water bottle on Sunday night (jokes on them though there was a hole in the bottom leaking into my pocket). Last year is was hit or miss if you would make it through with a sealed or open drink bottle, I expect more of the same this year most likely.

I'd say last year I made it through 66% of the time with sealed water and/or gatorade.

Although this requires you to have a day pass and an onsite hotel room, we never have a problem with bringing open drinks through security at Sapphire Falls then heading in early for Stay and Scream.

Well... That basically confirms the truss got ruined in the storm.

That sucks. I think Universal actually owned that truss set. Expensive loss. They really should have brought the towers down. I know why they didn't, but still.

Does that mean AoV will be doing "hurricane show" the length of the event? Big blow to capacity if true, between that and a Festival of the Deadliest zone that looked to have been a lot more involved.

Oh... so something fell on it or did one of the towers get jogged around too much? I've been wonderin.
My best guess, the wind would have wrenched the towers around. Head blocks (the top piece) are pretty heavy compared to the rest of a truss tower, which make them top heavy. If the winds get bad enough, the movement can cause cracking along the weld joints. Once it cracks, it's completely unserviceable.

They bring the roof down to give the towers a bit of extra stability, and to prevent too much wind from flipping the whole thing. Anything that could have fallen would have just been any lights they left in the truss, that's why it has to be wind damage.

I'm asking around though. It's been 11 years since I've done any heavy-duty stage work on truss. I'm just making assumptions based other horror stories I've heard.
Does that mean AoV will be doing "hurricane show" the length of the event? Big blow to capacity if true, between that and a Festival of the Deadliest zone that looked to have been a lot more involved.
The fact that they're building a new temporary stage in the correct spot doesn't bode well for a full show. Like I said, I think Universal owned that truss set. There aren't many local vendors to rent replacement sets from quickly. If they're even available. Transporting a whole system could take a week or more and be immensely more expensive.

I'll say this though. Universal is damn lucky they have AoV as the performers there. They're talented enough to do amazing things with nothing. Anything thing else Universal has attempted would have just been canceled.

I was wondering of they didn't use the stage because RtU was canceled.

I would think trusses could be lowered to the stage level?
Prior to RTU the set for Afterlife (particularly the LED screen) was up for rehearsals.

And yeah, truss can be lowered. The main box truss (the large pieces that are over the stage and the lights hang from) was lowered prior to the storm. The tower truss (the thin "legs") weren't. If the tower truss is cracked, that section of truss has to be replaced.

That's why I keep saying they should have brought down the towers. Tower truss can be brought down (actually, taken off completely) while leaving the box truss intact. That's actually how you put it all together. It takes a good bit of effort to lower and raise, and the "right" assumption is that the wind won't whip the towers so much they'll crack. But sometimes the right assumption, in hindsight, was the wrong decision.

Anything else that COULD have been damaged (lights, cabling, the chain motors used to raise the box truss up the towers) could be replaced with minimal freak-out. The only thing that would cause a wholescale change like this would be damaged truss.

EDIT - BOOM! Confirmed. Truss got twisted.

Last edited: