Rumor - Tiki Room to add Moana overlay | Inside Universal Forums

Rumor - Tiki Room to add Moana overlay

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 31, 2013
Just read a story, credited to WDWMagic, that TDO is considering an overlay to the Enchanted Tiki Room that would add animatronics and music tied to Moana.
After living through the disaster that was Iago and Zazu several years ago, IMHO this is just a bad idea. I would rather see them replace the attraction entirely (Frozen, GOTG) than try to shoehorn in some selections from a movie that has no references to this attraction other than a chicken (Hei Hei).
ETR is one of my favorites, again I am an old school Walt fan and love COP, HOP and CBJ as well, but I know things need to change over time. Just rip off the band aid and don't try to do a half-hearted, quick fix on something.

Just BUILD A MOANA RIDE. There's an Adventureland expansion pad sitting behind Pirates. This would be so lazy

As Lazy as giving their largest grossing $Billion+ animated film in box office, media sales and merchandise sales an overlay of a previous ride instead of a dedicated area in MK?

Ya... sounds about par for the WDW course.

Just BUILD A MOANA RIDE. There's an Adventureland expansion pad sitting behind Pirates. This would be so lazy
I think this is a reaction (like TRON) to the fact that the 50th is coming up and they need some other distractions from SW believing that the resort will be stressed. I agree with you but I think WDI is taxed with all the work going on at Epcot and DHS plus the 50th and TRON so they want to do a quick one-off rather than a proper solution.

I'm all for this plan of turning it into an interactive Tiki Bar. Drunk idols, smarmy lounge birds, and the God of All the Angry Wives combined with LE Collector Tiki Mugs sounds awesome.

What? Plan B? Moana. But...but...ummm...

what about the drinks?

It could work. The previous overlay failed because the main character was a jerk, and the show kept trying to make fun of how awful the show was. (And what does Aladdin have to do with south seas culture anyways?). Moana on the other hand, could blend in nicely if done right.

last I checked the chicken from Moana doesn't sing.

That being said, I thought the music of Moana was really good, and an attraction featuring that music could be pretty popular. I have a soft spot for old school Disney, but considering most of their attractions including Pirates/HM have been plussed over the years, I'm actually surprised it's still standing.

I'm all for this plan of turning it into an interactive Tiki Bar. Drunk idols, smarmy lounge birds, and the God of All the Angry Wives combined with LE Collector Tiki Mugs sounds awesome.

What? Plan B? Moana. But...but...ummm...

what about the drinks?

now that's what I'm talking about...

It could work. The previous overlay failed because the main character was a jerk, and the show kept trying to make fun of how awful the show was. (And what does Aladdin have to do with south seas culture anyways?). Moana on the other hand, could blend in nicely if done right.
Under New Management failed because Buster Poindexter. 'nuff said.

I also enjoy Stitch's Great Escape.

Give me a high-quality animatronic that I can see up close, and I'll forgive a WHOLE lot. I could watch Uh-Oa and the tracking lasers all day.
I agree ten fold. Although the pacing of UNM was weird enough that it still turned me off.

Moana could definetely work within Tiki Room. I’m excited to see what comes out of this project if it goes forward.

When UNM debuted it wasn't horrible.

It became painfully dated VERY quickly because it used hits of the day like Hot, Hot, Hot by Buster Poindexter aka David Johanson of the punk band New York Dolls.

I think using some of Moana's music works well.

Honestly, Tiki Room and Country Bears both have to be getting eyed for character tie-ins or some kind of retail/food update opportunity. They don't draw the crowds like they used to, and everything need to make money in the Magic Kingdom now...