Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

Wondering if folks staying at the hotel will get automatic fast passes to both Star Wars rides during their stay. I can't imagine this will be cheap. It seems like they are trying to attract folks that will ONLY be visiting the hotel, and the attached theme park. I'll never be able to afford this. So I hope people takes lots of pictures/videos for all the middle class Star Wars fans out there.

It seems like they are trying to attract folks that will ONLY be visiting the hotel, and the attached theme park.

I think that's true for length of stay in the resort. Think of it as a cruise--you're on the boat 3 days, then switch to a hotel and spend a couple days on your own in the parks. Only here, it would be 3 days on a starship, then 3 days at Poly or Beach Club.

I'm still not convinced the Venn diagrams of "really rich people" and "Star Wars fans who like to LARP" overlap enough to make this work. Maybe 2-day stays, but anything more than that, I just don't see it. Or it'll be a bunch of parents out-of-costume with the cell phones out documenting little Johnny's adventure and killing the mood. If I had Photoshop skills, I'd make a version of the concept art with surly Goth teen siblings and strollers added in.

I think that's true for length of stay in the resort. Think of it as a cruise--you're on the boat 3 days, then switch to a hotel and spend a couple days on your own in the parks. Only here, it would be 3 days on a starship, then 3 days at Poly or Beach Club.

I'm still not convinced the Venn diagrams of "really rich people" and "Star Wars fans who like to LARP" overlap enough to make this work. Maybe 2-day stays, but anything more than that, I just don't see it. Or it'll be a bunch of parents out-of-costume with the cell phones out documenting little Johnny's adventure and killing the mood. If I had Photoshop skills, I'd make a version of the concept art with surly Goth teen siblings and strollers added in.

My theory is that it’s ONLY a two day stay, you would augment a normal trip with a two day stay here. Additionally wouldn’t be surprised if the hotel doesn’t offer regular transportation to the other parks.

To do this right this should be Disney doing something like Sleep No More.

My theory is that it’s ONLY a two day stay, you would augment a normal trip with a two day stay here. Additionally wouldn’t be surprised if the hotel doesn’t offer regular transportation to the other parks.

To do this right this should be Disney doing something like Sleep No More.
Yea, this is gonna be larping, not a relaxing stay at a luxury resort.

Besides, any more than 2 days and I’d go insane from not having real windows. Stir-Crazy the resort.

Good to know we were right that they’d somehow connect it to the land. That’s a good move. At least the immersion isn’t broken when you’re ready to “disembark” on a planet to explore.

UOR could easily designate a wing/ block of rooms for a similar Potter experience. If this takes off, I'm sure that is in the cards.

Besides, any more than 2 days and I’d go insane from not having real windows. Stir-Crazy the resort.

Good to know we were right that they’d somehow connect it to the land. That’s a good move. At least the immersion isn’t broken when you’re ready to “disembark” on a planet to explore.

Sleep No More is a production of Macbeth that takes place in an old hotel. I really think it won’t be role playing as much as a two day long story acting out with guests.

Sleep No More (2011 play) - Wikipedia

UOR could easily designate a wing/ block of rooms for a similar Potter experience. If this takes off, I'm sure that is in the cards.

No way, this requires way more than just the JP rooms do.

Disney is betting on this concept working since as they supposedly have about 2-3 other similar hotel concepts ready. The Epcot front gate hotel may be one of them.
Well that solves the problem of having park-facing windows and the danger that could create at Epcot... No real windows.

I'd be all for staying in a futuristic hotel with a view out the window that looks like this:
tomorrowland.jpg

Or better yet, name the hotel "New Horizons" and let us choose between space rooms, underwater base, or desert farm.

I can't wait to see how the role playing works. Like.. are kids/adults gonna be running around in costume trying to solve missions while non-role playing guests walk around Galaxy's Edge? Is there a CM guiding them? Are non-role playing guests going to interfere with them? Is it gonna be more like Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom? I have so many questions..

I can't wait to see how the role playing works. Like.. are kids/adults gonna be running around in costume trying to solve missions while non-role playing guests walk around Galaxy's Edge? Is there a CM guiding them? Are non-role playing guests going to interfere with them? Is it gonna be more like Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom? I have so many questions..
From everything I've heard, all the RP stuff is contained within the hotel itself, including missions and "jobs" for each visitor. The land will probably just have the same normal interactivity for hotel guests as regular day guests... It's just that hotel guests get to walk right into the land (probably before day guests too) without having to break immersion by entering through the park's main entrance.

EDIT: I do wonder about the outfits though. Aren't guests going to receive garb to wear when they arrive at the hotel? Wonder if that's allowed out in the park, and if they would be confused with characters in the land... OMG that's how they're gonna afford to have walk around characters, they put the hotel guests to work for them. It all makes sense now. IOAVenturer has cracked the case!

From everything I've heard, all the RP stuff is contained within the hotel itself, including missions and "jobs" for each visitor. The land will probably just have the same normal interactivity for hotel guests as regular day guests... It's just that hotel guests get to walk right into the land (probably before day guests too) without having to break immersion by entering through the park's main entrance.

Ok, that makes more sense. I wasn't aware the RP stuff was contained to the hotel only.

EDIT: I do wonder about the outfits though. Aren't guests going to receive garb to wear when they arrive at the hotel? Wonder if that's allowed out in the park, and if they would be confused with characters in the land... OMG that's how they're gonna afford to have walk around characters, they put the hotel guests to work for them. It all makes sense now. IOAVenturer has cracked the case!

Can you imagine if that's really how they expect to use "characters". :lol:

Would hate to be the hotel guest that gets stuck with the "cleaning out the bathrooms" job or the "scooping up the remains of aliens chopped up by a light saber" job.;)

not to get salty, but I proposed this idea a few posts higher...

Also, I guess your hotel fee would include your outfit, which I would imagine you get to take home with you. I don't think they would re-use costumes. Will there be a "fitting room", when you first arrive?

I'm kinda curious about the laws and no windows. I know in a residence, all sleeping rooms have to have windows. Doesn't that apply to hotels as well?

I'm kinda curious about the laws and no windows. I know in a residence, all sleeping rooms have to have windows. Doesn't that apply to hotels as well?
But they are windows... windows to another worlllldddd.

not to get salty, but I proposed this idea a few posts higher...
maybe Disney are relying on hotel guests to be "walk around" characters in the actual theme park. ha ha.
My bad, yes. This is starting to make sense lol... But, how does that work with the no costumes for adults rule at the parks? Hmmm.

Wondering if folks staying at the hotel will get automatic fast passes to both Star Wars rides during their stay.
I would almost guarantee it's an early admission day (or evening). Just the park guests for an hour in the morning before other guests arrive after they "land" there. I'll bet its executed perfectly.

The fake windows are really no big deal. I think you'll be inside running around so much it won't bother you at all- think cruise ship- but your deck time is in SWL. 2 days is nothing.

I'll never do this, but it's a brilliant idea - and from what little we know about it, it sounds very smart.

From a marketing perspective- it could hurt Potter. In fact, I'm helping a friend plan a 2 day trip to universal before her Disney trip (they go to Disney all the time)- but have never done Uni- now they are going "for potter" like so many others from Disney do. Family of 4 for 1 or 2 day park hoppers and a night at royal pacific- will be pretty closely priced to this hotel. In the ignorant eyes of those who have never been to Universal, and just want "potter"- they will think "potter or star wars? Same price". That's a smart move.
Don't get me wrong, Uni will be fine, but I assure you that will be an argument you hear on some DIS boards quite a bit.

Sleep No More is a production of Macbeth that takes place in an old hotel. I really think it won’t be role playing as much as a two day long story acting out with guests.

Sleep No More (2011 play) - Wikipedia

I think that's the best example, but still shows how out there this really is (for the record, never been to Sleep No More, but friends have, and I've done a knock-off concept here in Orlando). First, it's only 3 - 4 hours. Second, your level of participation can vary--can still enjoy it just as a bystander in civilian clothes. I'm not sure that will be the case in the hotel. As I said, all it takes is one dad in cargo shorts videoing his kid's activities to ruin the illusion. You're basically asking an entire family to LARP for 2 days--this is almost more a Star Wars RenFaire. With luxury rooms instead of tents.

Disney is betting on this concept working since as they supposedly have about 2-3 other similar hotel concepts ready. The Epcot front gate hotel may be one of them.

Pirates, I guess. I'm struggling to come up with 1 or 2 more IPs that would work in this format.