Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '18: The First Purge

I'm sure @Brian G. will update the thread once a proper IU Article is written..but I have some thoughts.

Door number One: Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights..has been more prone to controversy. Hell, this was the IP that cut the live Barker due to controversial elements. I am nervous, very nervous; as The First Purge to my understanding, does some things in a way that might tick people off more than we'd want them too.

I am curious, about the amount of hell that they are going to go through to keep this consumer-friendly, because this is going to be something very interesting..

Door Number Two: I feel sorry for the actors and actresses going to be in this maze. Not because of it being an old IP..but more in what the IP brings, and also looking at things from the standpoint of the alcohol coming back to Universal Hollywood; even limited. I am scared for the amount of hell that those talents are going to get, because this could get ugly if in the wrong way.

Door Number Three: This is an example of Creative staying too much with what they know. And that, I get the feeling that this maze, will be riddled with reused assets and materials from previous years. Admittedly, I feel bad about that aspect in particular.

This maze, hell; this announcement..is a very low moment. And hopefully (HOPEFULLY), the next announcement will be better than this. That said, for now..

This maze has the potential to be frightening if it’s claustrophobic, intense, and aggressive like Purge night is. However, I’m predicting that this maze will be the one to get budget slashes if we have another 2017; of all the rest of the rumored properties there’s no way this one won’t get AvED’d.

I really want this maze to be good, but at the same time it has so much going against it. I also don’t know what they’ll use from the movie that can extend into a full on maze, hopefully it takes the original route

I'm sure @Brian G. will update the thread once a proper IU Article is written..

Door number One: The First Purge to my understanding, does some things in a way that might tick people off more than we'd want them too.

Door Number Two: but more in what the IP brings, and also looking at things from the standpoint of the alcohol coming back to Universal Hollywood; even limited. I am scared for the amount of hell that those talents are going to get
A proper article?... The Purge is coming to HHN Hollywood for the 6th year in a row. Not exactly much more required to know.

Well for starters, there's no auctioneer. And the film and its HHN counterpart are two completely separate entities. While Murdy is overly lazy at times when it comes to HHN, he won't be as lazy as the costuming department was for the film. So if you're worried about seeing KKK style Purgers, yea, NOT happening. But from all the previous 5 years, The Purge has basically been treated as an original even in maze form.

The scareactors are going to get hell no matter what maze or scarezone they're in. And they're going to get hell whether there is alcohol or not. I hate this automatic shaming of specific IPs and/or alcohol. You're going to get idiots at the event regardless.

I went and saw The First Purge on premiere night and while it wasn’t a great movie (worst than Anarchy, better than The Purge) and there were quite a few scenes that would work very well in a maze. And there were a lot of scenes that, especially in today’s political state, would piss a lot of people off, they are going to have to tip toe around this one carefully. Just because it would work as a maze, doesn’t mean they should do it. I’ve been attending since 2012, which means this is my 7th year. 6/7 of those years have featured The Purge. The use of this IP is boring and a tired concept that is getting an incredible amount of negative response on twitter. This should be a wake up call for corporate that The Purge doesn’t please like it used to

A proper article?... The Purge is coming to HHN Hollywood for the 6th year in a row. Not exactly much more required to know.

I was more refering to that, IU usually updates a thread that pre-exists before the article releases, to include IU's article and with a thread name that more benefits the other threads already established on this section of the forum.

I'm going to agree that the deliberate political charges of The First Purge are going to make this maze particularly delicate, and I would agree with Alex that actors could see more targeted styles of abuse. The issue isn't really the alcohol, though introducing that never helps - you're either going to face an aggressively unpleasant "white superiority" tone to the maze (the film is basically modern Blaxploitation) that is designed to provoke, OR you're going to get a POC-focused romp that may galvanize unsavory folk who might like wearing certain red hats.

You lose either way. This is a bad idea.

So, which franchise has been more beaten to death in Hollywood, The Purge or The Walking Dead?

TWD was 5, Purge was 6; with the anecdote that TWD had Terror Tram for three (2012-2014) and a scare zone for two (2013-2014).

The Purge, was a scarezone for three years, a gauntlet for two (including Horrors of Blum), and a Terror Tram for one year.

I have virtually no expectations for this. I really don’t care what HHN announces at this point. If you’re excited for this, good for you. I’m just so weary of the Purge and Blumhouse and black walls and all of these repetitive properties.

I think this is going to be hard wake up call for HHN this year.

2 hours since the announcement dropped... still no sign of Murdy to try & spin this into some "OMG amazing super excited about it" maze. :lol: Probably glad he's in a different country because there's probably an angry mob (like in the classic Universal Monster films) waiting for him.
I honestly don’t think John wanted to do this maze. He had an original written for this year but this was probably pushed on him. Which makes this announcement all the more upsetting.
Also, it’s only 7:50 in Ireland, the man has two little girls, gotta wait for them to go to bed before he can start tweeting

Don't make excuses for Murdy... especially not after how half-a$$ed last year's event was. If it was up to Murdy it'd ONLY be mazes that would allow to him to brag about which celebrity he met, hung out with etc... Just like Aiello is not HHN God, neither is Murdy.

Don't make excuses for Murdy... especially not after how half-a$$ed last year's event was. If it was up to Murdy it'd ONLY be mazes that would allow to him to brag about which celebrity he met, hung out with etc... Just like Aiello is not HHN God, neither is Murdy.
Murdy has flaws. He’s not HHN god. And I greatly admire his work and have been a fanboy for years, always asking for pictures or autographs from him. But not everything is his fault. I’ve had multiple conversations with him on twitter where he’s revealed that a lot of what was originally planned last year for Ash vs. Evil Dead and The Shining didn’t come to fruition because of budget cuts. Last year was by no means amazing (even though personally I didn’t think it was as bad as everyone else) but the lineup had potential for great mazes and meh mazes. My point is, not everything that happens is his fault. It’s not an excuse, it’s speculating why this worn out property would be used instead of an original he researched and wrote