TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For how old it is, I actually don't think it's in that terrible of shape, but it still desperately needs an upgrade. If they can do a big change ala Disneyland and make the vehicles like those as well, it would completely doubly the capacity of the ride while bringing it into the 21st century.

The thing is, with Tron moving in next door, any redesign they do has to take Tron into account so the rides aren't too similar.

I have no first hand knowledge but from what I read they are welding patches every night on SM. TWDC has had two deaths on attractions that I am aware of, BTTM and SM Dl. It looks like they are pushing for another. The 2010 refurb was passed over, and it is now 10 years later. The compelling reasons for the 2010 refurb are still there but 10 more years of wear cannot have increased safety.
I stopped riding in the early 2000's due to the track and the brake runs added. Not fun so why ride.

They need to take it down but the suits are playing publicity, timing and splash over guest safety IMO.
Last time I gave it a run was the first 24 hour and it was not what I remember from the early years. Just not worth the wait. It cannot have improved since then.

I have no first hand knowledge but from what I read they are welding patches every night on SM. TWDC has had two deaths on attractions that I am aware of, BTTM and SM Dl. It looks like they are pushing for another. The 2010 refurb was passed over, and it is now 10 years later. The compelling reasons for the 2010 refurb are still there but 10 more years of wear cannot have increased safety.
I stopped riding in the early 2000's due to the track and the brake runs added. Not fun so why ride.

They need to take it down but the suits are playing publicity, timing and splash over guest safety IMO.
Last time I gave it a run was the first 24 hour and it was not what I remember from the early years. Just not worth the wait. It cannot have improved since then.

Arrow coasters don't age well to begin with and SM (which I think was Arrow originally) is no different.

Reactions: JoeCamel

The sad thing is that the 2010 refurb was originally planned to have a track replacement until the suits pulled the plug on it.

Would it not be smart of Disney to fast track Tron for early( to spring) 2020. Then close space mountain in January 2020 for a year long massive refurb. Also shut down Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin for an overhaul to Wreck it Ralph. Opening both in early 2021. This way 2021 you can promote “come celebrate the past with our 50th anniversary and see the future, A New Tomorrow(land).”

Just thinking outloud.

Would it not be smart of Disney to fast track Tron for early( to spring) 2020. Then close space mountain in January 2020 for a year long massive refurb. Also shut down Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin for an overhaul to Wreck it Ralph. Opening both in early 2021. This way 2021 you can promote “come celebrate the past with our 50th anniversary and see the future, A New Tomorrow(land).”

Just thinking outloud.

In a perfect world, I think this would be a solid plan but the problem of a new ride opening is that it attracts a huge swing in the way guests populate an area in a park. With Tron open, everybody is going to head there and with little else to do and construction walls up, it’s going to be awfully crammed.

I don’t know if they’d be better pushing Tron back to late summer 2021 and redoing the whole area at once.

In a perfect world, I think this would be a solid plan but the problem of a new ride opening is that it attracts a huge swing in the way guests populate an area in a park. With Tron open, everybody is going to head there and with little else to do and construction walls up, it’s going to be awfully crammed.

I don’t know if they’d be better pushing Tron back to late summer 2021 and redoing the whole area at once.

I can see that side of it but I was thinking the other side of having a major attraction opening with 2 attractions going down in the same area of the park as an offset for everything. This way you don’t loose an entire land since there are a few other things to do in the area but also so that it draws the crowds from the rest of the park easing crowd flow everywhere.

Congestion is never fun but with the layout of the 2 attractions I mentioned people should have walking paths to still move freely through the area.

Hell Islands of Adevnture at Universal has survived the Hogsmeade congestion for a year and still has a year to go before the ease, but wait let’s be honest that congestion will probably triple with the new coaster next year so bad example. My bad LOL

Lovely. Really hoping they get rid of those exhaust machines before this opens.
They won’t wasn’t it @Alicia who said the original plans called for it going over the speedway but being moved to current location because the speedway is still popular and good on guest surveys.

Like Disneyland’s version to me it’s a waste of space and I’m pretty sure Disneyland’s takes up more space. For a park like Disneyland with land constraints I cant see why they don’t remove it and put the BatB dark ride(Tokyo Disneyland) and a Frozen Bobsled Coaster(HongKong Disneyland) in its place. Pretty sure they could fit both on the plot.

Like I said thinking out loud today

I believe they have the electric cars removed from Tokyo to update and replace the gas powered cars so they can run under the canopy.

Just thinking outloud.
It would be smart, which is probably why it’s not happening :lol:

In all seriousness, Tomorrowland needs much more than it’s getting. Space, Stitch, Buzz, Monsters, the finale of CoP, Speedway... it ALL needs attention. The entirety of the land.

It would be smart, which is probably why it’s not happening :lol:

In all seriousness, Tomorrowland needs much more than it’s getting. Space, Stitch, Buzz, Monsters, the finale of CoP, Speedway... it ALL needs attention. The entirety of the land.
Yeah....I don't understand why anyone likes Tomorrowland

Yeah....I don't understand why anyone likes Tomorrowland

Because of Space Mountain. That’s all that’s good. Everything else is incredibly mediocre and the speedway is awful. I understand that it’s a generational thing with a lot of kids driving a car for their first time but it’s nothing like normal driving. I’ve been driving for 10 years and I’ve yet to go around it without hitting the middle barrier less than 30 times nor do I know anybody who has.

I’ll be honest that I’m saying all this in hopes for Space Mountain to be down in 2020 for a refurb. I will be in Orlando for a 2 week big family trip 10 days at Disney world Resort(on site) and 4 days at at Universal Orlando Resort(on site cause I cant miss the new additions like Potter Coaster and HHN 30th) and the attraction I’m most scared of is Space Mountain.

The last time I rode it was 2010 and it was the most painful experience I’ve ever been on. Now me 10 years older(when I’m there) and the ride 10 years of ware and tare on it and good lord. I know “just don’t go on it” but if my daughter wants to do it how can I say no. Yet if it’s down for refurb then cool cause I won’t have to be the bad guy lol.

I will say though Disneyland’s version is flat out amazing. Always Top 3 of the park and a multiple ride every trip which is where I’ll be this October.

Because of Space Mountain. That’s all that’s good. Everything else is incredibly mediocre and the speedway is awful. I understand that it’s a generational thing with a lot of kids driving a car for their first time but it’s nothing like normal driving. I’ve been driving for 10 years and I’ve yet to go around it without hitting the middle barrier less than 30 times nor do I know anybody who has.

That excuse is the worst. Take them to a fair and let them drive number cars. This ride doesn’t belong in Disney World any more.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit