Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Most Anticipated Scarezone

Which scare zone are you most looking forward to this year?

• Vamp 85: New Year's Eve

• Twisted Tradition

• Killer Klowns from Outer Space

• The Harvest

• Revenge of Chucky

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Which scare zone are you most looking forward to this year?

(My apologies to the old thread. I think I may have accidentally permanently deleted it instead of hiding it.)

1. Killer Klowns - This was an easy number one for me and it's only gotten bigger with all the details. The use of projections sounds great. I have full confidence in this. New location is a little worrying but I've got faith.

2. Vamp 85 - 55 was my most anticipated in 2016 for good reason. And it definitely held up to that I felt. I honestly expect even more out of this one with the increased size and elements they've been putting out about it. I just like Killer Klowns that much more so this ain't number one.

3. CHUCKY - In terms of last year, anything is probably an improvement over Festival Of The Deadliest. Chucky is always a fun character, and it's a smart move keep him isolated to his puppet self to allow the creative "Chuckying" of the other toys to be at the front.

4. Twisted Tradition - This definitely is a little different from the normal "forest zone" it seems, and the props for this look really fun so far (Ignoring the easy missed opportunity to set it in the 18"80's"). I just don't see this being as interesting or lively in full as the three above, pumpkin forest aside.

5. The Harvest - Woooo, Altars Of Horror 2.0 with more sets and maybe stages!

1. Killer Klowns - love the movie, keeping my fingers crossed it gets to be a house in the future
2. Vamp ‘85 - cannot wait for this, it sounds too fun
3. Chucky - the more details that come out about this one the more interested I’ve become in it, I just don’t want it be like the Insult Emporium
4. The Harvest - I’ve never had an issue taking pictures in the previous SZ’s and I really love Stranger Things so I’m excited to at least see that
5. Twisted Traditions - this is tied with The Harvest in my mind, but I’m just really happy about all the pumpkins returning and the new melted ones look great

With the scare zones this year, I'm not gonna' rank them in order of anticipation, since honestly I'm excited for most of them. With SZ's, what I'm hoping for is atmosphere and a nice "fun factor" to it. Scares kinda' take a backseat for my requirements, but they're a nice bonus if they happen. So here's my thoughts on them.

Vamp '85 : New Year's Eve - Vamp '55 looked straight-up fun, and '85 could very well take the concept "To the MAX". I love they're going to do a ball drop with a live band/DJ, which could be a amazing cast change. I'm looking forward to the costumes and makeup on this one, and the soundtrack could be a standout all on it's own.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space - First off, FINALLY! This IP is such a wonderful cheesy gem, and it's another zone which could be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing just how huge these Klowns are in person, as well as the projections on the buildings for the spaceship and shadow puppets. Also, JoJo since he's my favorite clown of the bunch, with Shorty being a very close 2nd.

Revenge of Chucky - With the recurring theme of zones looking really fun, RoC is no exception. I love the concept of the hijacked toy fair, and having Chucky be a puppet is a really smart move. I'm also looking forward to the return of some toys that were in the Friends til the End house like the demented Barrel of Monkeys.

Twisted Traditions - I think TT will be killer in the atmosphere, and as I've mentioned before it first seemed people were kinda' "meh" on the zone since it's another Halloween/Pumpkin zone in Central Park...but then the awesome new props were put in and everyone's more excited then before.

The Harvest - This is the only scare zone which I'm not as excited for as the others, it's pretty much the photo-op zone with characters of the houses and probably a bunch of hay bales. It is what it is.

I love Scare Zones... when they try to be more chaotic and fun rather than serious. Festival of the Deadliest and Invasion were not my favorite due to this reason. (However, I loved Invasion's crashed UFO.. probably one of my favorite set pieces ever created for a zone)

1. Twisted Traditions - Central Park tends to host the best scare zones year after year.
2. Chucky - I hope this is a very chaotic scare zone with loud music and multiple things happening. Chucky as a puppet worries me, but other than it should be fun.
3. Killer Klowns - Gonna be fun and creepy
4. Vamp '85 - I didn't really like the SZ from a few years ago, it was a great concept but I found it to be a bit too "weak".
5. The Harvest - Scare Zones don't work in Plaza of the Stars, they just don't work. I hate it when people take selfies in a scare zone, ruins the entire vibe.

5) The Harvest. Photo ops. Yawn.

4) Revenge of Chucky. Everyone has that one popular movie they just can’t get into. Mine is Child’s Play. Hopefully creativity with the other toys saves this.

3) Killer Klowns from Outer Space. OK, maybe it’s two movies. Funny for about 5 minutes in college. Should at least be novel.

2) Twisted Traditions. I love traditional Halloween, and the design of the props so far has been right up my alley. As a bonus, this appears to be the only non-comedy theme of the four real zones this year, so hopefully the scariest.

1) Vamp 85. Brilliant concept, should be a lot of fun, while still allowing some opportunity for real scares.

5) The Harvest Another Alters of Horror and bafflingly out of theme for the overall event

4) Twisted Traditions After Trick R Treat absolutely killing the CP zone last year, this just feels like a cheap knock off.

3) Revenge of Chucky I'm no fan of the Chucky films, but the character himself is fun. With this being in Hollywood, I hope the design team brought their A game.

2) Killer Klowns from Outer Space Great B movie with some excellent character designs. This could be a really, really fun zone.

1) Vamp 85 Vamp 55 was the perfect scarezone. I've never found one to be "scary". For me, HHN is a big party, and the scarezones should reflect that. It's why my favorites (Vamp, TRT, Icons at HHN25) celebrate the season and horror. Vamp 55 was the perfect mix of concept, great cast, great set pieces, and a celebratory atmosphere. From what I've seen of 85, all it needs is that cast and we've got ourselves another all-timer.

1. Killer Klowns from Outer Space - Still haven't came down from the...how do I censor this for IU...uh...popcorn...gun..blast this announcement gave me.

2. Twisted Traditions - Nothing that new or interesting, but I think people either underestimate or misunderstand this zone. The concept of mutated pumpkin people reveals to me that this zone may have some elaborate body horror effects, that combined with being in the most claustrophobic zone area will probably make this the most intense zone.

3. Revenge of Chucky - Same with Carnival Graveyard, the premise isn't the most interesting but the designer talk has me hyped. (Hey buddy, don't tell anyone, but this is honestly my #2, I just wanted more people to get excited for Traditions)

4. The Harvest - Stupid photo-op zone on the tiny narrow entrance street: Round 2...could be a surprise hit for me like AoH was last year.

5. Vamp '85 - Should be fun, but could be executed poorly. What can I say, I'm not a huge vampire fan.

2) Twisted Traditions. I love traditional Halloween, and the design of the props so far has been right up my alley. As a bonus, this appears to be the only non-comedy theme of the four real zones this year, so hopefully the scariest.
Okay, what? Vamp is definitely a comedy zone, and Klowns could go either way I suppose, but Revenge of Chucky is almost definitely not going to be a comedy zone.

Okay, what? Vamp is definitely a comedy zone, and Klowns could go either way I suppose, but Revenge of Chucky is almost definitely not going to be a comedy zone.

Could go either way? With hot dog guns and cotton candy cocoons? First page of the wiki: "Killer Klowns from Outer Space is a 1988 American science fiction horror comedy film ..." [emphasis added]

As for Chucky, it's a puppet that insults people. Dark comedy is still comedy.

Could go either way? With hot dog guns and cotton candy cocoons? First page of the wiki: "Killer Klowns from Outer Space is a 1988 American science fiction horror comedy film ..." [emphasis added]

As for Chucky, it's a puppet that insults people. Dark comedy is still comedy.
The film isn’t scary in the slightest, but seeing the grotesque Klowns up close could be quite intimidating and/or creepy for some.

RoC is much more than just the Chucky puppet.

1) Vamp 85’ – Vamp 55 was an all timer. One night I sat down on a bench for a good half hour just watching. It was that special. If the cast is as good as that one and the party atmosphere is executed well, this could be the GOAT scare zone.

2) Killer Klowns – I remember watching this movie a lot as a kid. I was at the same time scared and laughing hysterically at some of the gags. First time in my life I realized horror could be funny. This one is going to be good.

3) Twisted Traditions – The décor looks appropriately Halloweenish so far. Might be this year’s dark horse scare zone.

4) Revenge of Chucky – Never really got into the movies, but I remember the house being fun.

5) The Harvest – It’s altars of horror with more decoration. Whoopty doo.

If it weren’t for Vamp, I don’t think I’d be as excited for the scarezones as I am.