Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Tips

I have always read that on 2am close nights, the last 90 min or so are fairly empty compared to the rest of the night.

Good to know! I guess time will tell with crowds and house popularity...but I'm thinking heading right when entering the park (starting at Trick r Treat), going counterclockwise and ending with Stranger Things/Halloween around 1am will most likely be the best bet to beat crowds...so long as you have Express.

I also have no desire to do a house more than once in a night though, so for others that mileage may vary.

Can confirm glasses are important. I can't even tell you what was in the exorcist house last time because I pretty much walked around aimlessly while employees turned me in the right direction. I've found that anything outside of fins holding zone is fairly useless if you want to get the most done. Do a house or two in the front when the zone opens and you should be able to knock out the whole back half of the park in the next hour and a half.... as long as you power walk like crazy. The point is you want to leverage the earliest house opening and narrowly beat the crowds at every house.

Can confirm glasses are important. I can't even tell you what was in the exorcist house last time because I pretty much walked around aimlessly while employees turned me in the right direction. I've found that anything outside of fins holding zone is fairly useless if you want to get the most done. Do a house or two in the front when the zone opens and you should be able to knock out the whole back half of the park in the next hour and a half.... as long as you power walk like crazy. The point is you want to leverage the earliest house opening and narrowly beat the crowds at every house.

Exorcist was dark! I turned the wrong way every time but don't think dark glasses would have helped me, maybe less time in the hold? Anyway it is a good tip and important to know.

Yeah, best to always be 10 minutes ahead of all crowds. Nothing better than walking into a house then exiting and seeing a long line.

Also be prepared to lose your slow friends. HHN is a dictatorship. Those not down to follow the leader and keep up with the group will be left behind. I'm not even joking the friends that decide to hit up a bar and bathroom break a half hour in could add 2 hours of wait times to your night.

Also be prepared to lose your slow friends. HHN is a dictatorship. Those not down to follow the leader and keep up with the group will be left behind. I'm not even joking the friends that decide to hit up a bar and bathroom break a half hour in could add 2 hours of wait times to your night.
100% agree. I can even stand the phone-in-face the whole line-ers but if you can’t zip through crowds like a knife through butter you’re off the team. :lol:

Can confirm glasses are important. I can't even tell you what was in the exorcist house last time because I pretty much walked around aimlessly while employees turned me in the right direction

That’s exactly the house that got me. When it’s dark and you forgot your glasses, boo holes look like pathways...except that they have Regans hiding in them.

That’s exactly the house that got me. When it’s dark and you forgot your glasses, boo holes look like pathways...except that they have Regans hiding in them.
Isn't that part of the fun though? :grin:

Seriously though, last year on her first house my sister (who has been a fan of HHN for a couple years at that point) accidentally walked into an actor's boo-hole in Hive because of how dark it was in the house due to this being her 1st run of the night. The actor scared the :x: out of her trying to scare her out and she now refuses to attend the event...although I think I'll convince her for a night or two this year, as she's a pretty big StrTh fan.

@RJ MacReady @eXo

I'm writing a blog post for Touring Plans next week about HHN. Anything I should cover in particular?

Some information i havent read about is what its like to wait in line during this event, especially since there is alcohol involved.
What happens in the event of rain? is there a closure like you would see with rides are do people just carry on?
Should you bring a backpack and what to put in it.
Is there a best time to view AOV?
Best way to get a selfie with an scare actor; im not one of those people but i really want a picture with one of the KKFOS dudes.
How early you need to get to SNS to get a table at Finnegans, it would be nice to wait inside during the wait.

Thats all i can think of as far as info you might be able to provide right now. For the most part i really am looking for the best SNS locations to knock out houses in the most efficient manner and how important express might be for the night i attend. Also any food or drink at the event that might be worth trying, or if citywalk is a better option in the middle of the event to go grab a bite to eat.

Please post the link when your finished, even if you talk about other topics i would be interested in giving it a read.

thanks

Some information i havent read about is what its like to wait in line during this event, especially since there is alcohol involved.
What happens in the event of rain? is there a closure like you would see with rides are do people just carry on?
Best way to get a selfie with an scare actor; im not one of those people but i really want a picture with one of the KKFOS dudes.
How early you need to get to SNS to get a table at Finnegans, it would be nice to wait inside during the wait.

Thats all i can think of as far as info you might be able to provide right now. For the most part i really am looking for the best SNS locations to knock out houses in the most efficient manner and how important express might be for the night i attend. Also any food or drink at the event that might be worth trying, or if citywalk is a better option in the middle of the event to go grab a bite to eat.

Please post the link when your finished, even if you talk about other topics i would be interested in giving it a read.

thanks

I’ll try help with this one, feel free to correct me if anyone thinks I’m wrong.

Lines aren’t too bad to wait in, especially if you’re drinking, that mixed with the anticipation and buzz, they tend to pass quick. Most people are generally cool and I generally make friends in the queues. You get the occasionally drunk acting up, wobbling fences and stuff but it’s few and far between.

Rain doesn’t stop the houses unless it’s a lot and they get flooded, scareactors in scarezones do go back to break rooms or whatever though, and if it’s really coming down then most people are just taking shelter.

Viewing AOV will be different this year as it’s in the fear factor stadium, can’t imagine it’ll be as popular as Bill and ted but it definitely could be, if they shock people with the quality like they did the first year. The advice for Bill and Ted was first or last show will be the quietest.

Getting pictures in scarezones is pretty easy just don’t use a flash, and maybe save your pictures for the end of the night or get them out the way early. Im going to make a conscious effort to stay off my phone this year, and get pictures on one of my last nights.

I’m not too familiar with stay and scream at Finnegans, my preferred option is overlooking the lake at Duff’s under one of the umbrellas, just love it there. Usually get there 1.5/2 hours early and just love the slow build up drinking duff. You get 3 houses out of the way before the park has opened then I’d generally check wait times but probably head to kid zone. By that point the front park houses will be packed , although there’s a chance they’ll still be reasonable (as in about an hour or under) so in theory you could have done 6 houses by 8/9. Usually I have express though so I’d start using that for any line over 30 mins.

Would highly recommend express, takes a lot of stress away and definitely worth the cost. Whenever I’m in a line longer than 30 mins I’m just worrying how much longer the other lines are getting while I’m wasting time. Express lets you relax and removes that worry.

Speciality food hasn’t been announced yet but i really want them to do the buffalo tenders again like they did in 26 they were amazing. Also missed out on Pizza fries last year. I probably wouldn’t advise leaving the park to get food though, unless you’ve got loads of nights that you’re doing at HHN.

thanks

I’ll reply in full later as this is a lot to cover, both here and on TP, but if you can make a Finnegans reservation at 4-430 would be perfect. They only book till one month out.

Zomato Book Reservation

2005 - 2006, I forget exactly, a mild-but-named tropical storm was passing over. I stood in a 45-minute uncovered line for the original Body Collectors--HHN fans are nuts. As Marty said, zones will pack up, but houses and guests carry on, completely soaked. Another night, Penn & Teller had at least 6 inches of standing water in the queue. Still had full switchbacks.

New territory this year but with Bill & Ted, traditionally first and last shows were least crowded, afforded best seating.

Also any food or drink at the event that might be worth trying, or if citywalk is a better option in the middle of the event to go grab a bite to eat.

Some rumored snacks, but generally you'll get much better food and better service just dipping into CityWalk. And the house lines are insane anyway. BTW, if you do S&S at Finnegans, remember you're not getting the "real" Finns experience. The kitchen is slammed, the servers have to walk through a crowd to get drinks--probably my favorite in-park restaurant but S&S is not its finest hour.

Also any food or drink at the event that might be worth trying, or if citywalk is a better option in the middle of the event to go grab a bite to eat.

thanks

1. For the most part other guests are okay, but you will get some annoying drunks from time to time and you will end up spending a lot of time with them. It’s a necessary evil, but not super common

2. No closures unless a house gets flooded, but I have been in some horrible storms where the houses remained open and still had long lines

3. First and last show are the least crowded for Bill and Ted, but if you go to the first then lines will get long while you are in the show. For AoV it’s too early to tell so I am using my now outdated B&T knowledge as a point of reference. Either way, do not go to an early show if you do not have express for the houses as lines get longer the later it gets and you only have a two to three hour window (sometimes less) where the lines are manageable

4. Most scare actors will pose for selfies if it is still light out

5. We tend to not eat until 9pm-ish and usually opt for Diagon Alley, the baked potato cart on the London waterfront, or Springfield. We only ever head to Citywalk if we have already gotten the majority/all of the houses done because the more time you take out of your day, the more lines will stack up on you (see AoV advice).

Anything else?

5. We tend to not eat until 9pm-ish and usually opt for Diagon Alley, the baked potato cart on the London waterfront, or Springfield. We only ever head to Citywalk if we have already gotten the majority/all of the houses done because the more time you take out of your day, the more lines will stack up on you (see AoV advice).
There’s a baked potato cart?!?!? In London!? Can’t believe I’ve never noticed that. I usually opt for the giant pizza slice in front of Fallon, although it just received a price bump.

Thinking about just bringing Cliff bars this year.