Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 28: Tips

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Im going to be the guy running everything on the night of for my group (also all first timers) so all of your tips and info are appreciated.

-This might be more of a general park question but is it ok to bring in bottled water and some snacks into the park? I think we will probably eat prior to the start but its nice to have some water if its a hot night.

-Also can you take the Hogwarts express back over to IOA during HHN? My asumption is no since it would then only be a one way train but wanted to ask anyway.

-Do some of the houses open at a latter time then others?

-Approximately how much time are you released into the park before the general public with SNS?

-Just from looking at the amp it would seem like the hello kitty SNS location is where you will get first shot at either Halloween of Stranger Things. Would this be the guess of the forum as well?

Although that seems like the lamest of the SNS locations i think that would be the best spot to possibly stay ahead of the crowd for the majority of the night. The houses by men in black and ET look as if they will have the shortest average wait time imo.

Last edited:
Can confirm glasses are important. I can't even tell you what was in the exorcist house last time because I pretty much walked around aimlessly while employees turned me in the right direction. I've found that anything outside of fins holding zone is fairly useless if you want to get the most done. Do a house or two in the front when the zone opens and you should be able to knock out the whole back half of the park in the next hour and a half.... as long as you power walk like crazy. The point is you want to leverage the earliest house opening and narrowly beat the crowds at every house.
This is probably a super stupid question, but since I had major issues with this the past few years, I’ll ask anyway: Are you wearing sunglasses in the house? Or take them off as you enter? I wore them last year, took them off upon entering, and still had a hard time seeing.

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Im going to be the guy running everything on the night of for my group (also all first timers) so all of your tips and info are appreciated.

-This might be more of a general park question but is it ok to bring in bottled water and some snacks into the park? I think we will probably eat prior to the start but its nice to have some water if its a hot night.

-Also can you take the Hogwarts express back over to IOA during HHN? My asumption is no since it would then only be a one way train but wanted to ask anyway.

-Approximately how much time are you released into the park before the general public with SNS?

-Just from looking at the amp it would seem like the hello kitty SNS location is where you will get first shot at either Halloween of Stranger Things. Would this be the guess of the forum as well?

Although that seems like the lamest of the SNS locations i think that would be the best spot to possibly stay ahead of the crowd for the majority of the night. The houses by men in black and ET look as if they will have the shortest average wait time imo.

Never know what the policy is on bringing bottled water, if it’s sealed surely it will be ok? But I had an empty bottle that I’d crushed to fit in my pocket so I could use it to fill in the parks, but they made me empty the little last drops out and were a bit hesitant in letting it in. Last year there was free water left out in the various quick service places.
This is probably a super stupid question, but since I had major issues with this the past few years, I’ll ask anyway: Are you wearing sunglasses in the house? Or take them off as you enter? I wore them last year, took them off upon entering, and still had a hard time seeing.

They definitely mean taking them off as you enter. Try wearing an eyepatch or close one of your eyes completely, or better yet close both eyes while in line.

-Just from looking at the amp it would seem like the hello kitty SNS location is where you will get first shot at either Halloween of Stranger Things.

Although that seems like the lamest of the SNS locations i think that would be the best spot to possibly stay ahead of the crowd for the majority of the night. .

Again someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure hello kitty just lets you into Stranger things, then by the time you’re out you’d probably hit up carnival graveyard as stranger things exits near the entrance.

I see it as I either wait in hello kitty hit the most popular house first and maybe a few others near the front. Or I go Springfield , hit 3 houses in literally 15 mins and generally still have time to hit more before general addmision starts, if those other sections are open.

Again I could be wrong but 5:30/45 is generally the time stay and scream lets you out, then park opens at 6:30.

Hogwarts express is closed.

-Best rule of thumb is no out side liquids: they want to curb underage drinking. Free water is available at all quick service and permanent bars.

-Nope HE is closed.

-It depends on several factors, but all houses should be open by 630pm. Houses with lots of effects and the house in Sherk (H4) open last or late.

- 5:45pm to 6pm. Event starts at 6:30pm.

-If Kitty is still offered then it’ll open into Stranger Things. H4 will open later.

It is my favorite little secret food spot during HHN (zero lines) and the toppings are pretty darn good

I was skeptical of the Shepherd's Pie potato, but it convinced me--roughly the price of those vile pizza fries, but delicious and no wait.

Learned this trick from an old Tom Clancy novel. Wear the darkest sunglasses you have until you step into the house/indoor queue. Then, in the inevitable introductory hallway, close one eye. Open it after like 30 seconds. Still not ideal, but it helps.

I am unable to understand why veterans share tips for all of the internet to read. And then we wonder why Finnegan's has gotten so jammed packed and some of the tricks that used to work so well aren't quite as convenient.

Here's some tips I will give though. Do the tent houses in the back first. They are so much better before it gets dark outside. They are very dark once the sun goes down and you can't see as much as when the sun is still out. You'd much rather be able to see all the props, right!? Do these first and take your time. No rush.

Also, if you have Express Pass, try to use your pass to see as many houses within the first two hours of the event as you can. Express Pass only promises to reduce your wait by HALF and isn't a front of the line pass. The later it gets, the longer the lines. So if you can use it to knock out 3 or 4 houses in the first 90-minutes, you'll be golden. Everyone with an Express Pass should utilize this trick.

Finally, Tater Twisters taste like cardboard and have a tendency to get people sick. Pizza Fries are what you want. Go stand in that line instead.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that the wait times for rides are going to be some of the shortest all year. When the gates open, make sure to make a mad dash for Transformers and you'll be able to walk right onto the ride. After that make sure to hit Fast and the Furious since it just opened this year and it's a real "must-do".

This probably doesn’t need to be said on this site but Idk who’s lurking so just a little PSA anyway:

If you choose to take pictures of &/or with SA’s in the zones, please ask first if you can take the photo. They may not be able to answer, but they will pose, then once finished taking your photo(s)-thank them. I know this is kindergarten levels of basic human decency, but going often (usually twice a week last year) I lost count of how many people I’d see shoving their phones in the SA’s faces then getting mad when the SA’s would just continue on with their jobs instead of stopping for them. We’re all excited, but let’s not forget simple common courtesies.

And I have to echo eating outside the park. Full disclosure I can be a food snob at times but Twisted Taters are ungodly, SA dining is so much fun but you absolutely do not go there for a culinary masterpiece, and their version of what they think pizza fries should be are tolerable at best. The drinks (besides those old horrendous, warm, sweaty Kool Aid-meets-nuclear waste Jell-O shots), otoh, were lovely!

I am unable to understand why veterans share tips for all of the internet to read. And then we wonder why Finnegan's has gotten so jammed packed and some of the tricks that used to work so well aren't quite as convenient.

You really think that the general public even know this forum exists? I can’t imagine a few people giving tips to people that ask have much effect if any on your “secret” tips.

Finnegans is Jam packed because the event is so popular now and it’s arguably the best location or was the best to do stay and scream. I hardly think it’s because people have been sharing secrets on here.

You really think that the general public even know this forum exists? I can’t imagine a few people giving tips to people that ask have much effect if any on your “secret” tips.

Finnegans is Jam packed because the event is so popular now and it’s arguably the best location or was the best to do stay and scream. I hardly think it’s because people have been sharing secrets on here.
Incredibly easy Google search will lead here. Not to mention the 100s of other "insider" websites and YouTube videos that come up when searching for any variation of "HHN 28 tips and tricks".

My favorite trick that was ruined by some idiot posting it all over the internet was being able to park at the Wedding Pavilion, walk to the GrandFla and monorail it to Magic Kingdom. But too many people caught on from the social media posts and Disney then put up guards. :what:

Other than validation, I just don't understand why some people share their game plan only to invite dozens (hundreds potentially, depending on what site it is posted on) to then join in on the same attack route thus making it more difficult for those that have already figured out the best strategies to combat ever growing crowds. :smash:

Incredibly easy Google search will lead here. Not to mention the 100s of other "insider" websites and YouTube videos that come up when searching for any variation of "HHN 28 tips and tricks".

My favorite trick that was ruined by some idiot posting it all over the internet was being able to park at the Wedding Pavilion, walk to the GrandFla and monorail it to Magic Kingdom. But too many people caught on from the social media posts and Disney then put up guards. :what:

Other than validation, I just don't understand why some people share their game plan only to invite dozens (hundreds potentially, depending on what site it is posted on) to then join in on the same attack route thus making it more difficult for those that have already figured out the best strategies to combat ever growing crowds. :smash:

I See your point, I honeslty do. However for me HHN is the best and I would much prefer someone had a good time and go away recommending it than not. I don’t know why you’d want people going away complaining having not enjoyed themselves. The herd will always exist and it will outnumber the hardcore base even if you count every anonymous person who google searches and bothers to read through pages of forums.

And anyway it’s not even that hard to do a night getting every house in comfortably. If people care that much they’d just go September to early October, there were more than a few nights where I had express and it felt wasted. ( and I went in early October)

Edit: on the point of ever expanding crowds, by the time it’s so busy and all the strategies are known surely that would be the point where universal expands, like adding more houses, or increasing the size of the area used.

Another question i thought of (actually got the idea for that funny sarcastic few posts above); will there be certain houses that are best seen at night?

What is the policy on house spoilers with this forum? just want to know if i should tread lightly after launch.