Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Trip to Disneyland

GadgetGuru

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2011
Seattle, WA
I’m almost certainly going to be making a solo weekend trip to Disneyland this November.

(Yeah, it’s a weekend trip. I’m expecting the crowds to be awful)

I haven’t been to Disneyland since I was a little kid. I don’t even know if California Adventure was around...or if it was worth it last time. I go to Disney World pretty often, so I’d like to minimize the repeats.

I’ve got a pretty good idea of all of the different stuff at DLR, but there’s just so much different between World + Land, and I only have a couple days.

With all that in mind, what’s everyone’s recommendations on things I should do and reservations I should make?

My biggest recommendation to you is to get MaxPass. You can literally do every E Ticket at both parks in one day if done correctly. Watch some videos about how it works and you'll be good to go!

Also, make sure to see Fantasmic!, as DL's is much better than WDW's, and I also recommend to go to Disneyland in the mornings, as it's less congested and just feels so much better to me.

Your DL morning, I suggest getting there as early as possible and as soon as you get thru the gates, head to Fantasyland to take care of the lower capacity stuff. Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad's, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland... while lines are short. These don't have FP or MaxPass.

Actually, these are the only attractions with FP/MaxPass and it's a lot less than WDW:

Disneyland Park

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Haunted Mansion Holiday
Indiana Jones™ Adventure
“it’s a small world”
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Star Tours – The Adventures Continue

Disney California Adventure Park

Goofy’s Sky School
Grizzly River Run
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Incredicoaster
Radiator Springs Racers
Soarin’ Around the World
Toy Story Midway Mania!

Thanks a lot for all the advice! I didn't realize MaxPass was going to be so crucial.

How bad do you anticipate all the crowds being? Any advice on dining?

Looking into dining reservations and could use some advice.

It sounds like I need to get the Monte Cristo sandwich at some point. Should I do a lunch at Blue Bayou or lunch/dinner at Cafe Orleans? Is the Blue Bayou atmosphere worth it enough to go there?

Looking into dining reservations and could use some advice.

It sounds like I need to get the Monte Cristo sandwich at some point. Should I do a lunch at Blue Bayou or lunch/dinner at Cafe Orleans? Is the Blue Bayou atmosphere worth it enough to go there?

To me, a meal at Blue Bayou is part of the quintessential Disneyland experience. Make an early lunch reservation and request a waterside table on your arrival. It's a real novelty but we do it every single trip now without fail. It's not about the food, or the value... it's literally just the experience of dining inside the iconic Pirates of the Caribbean restaurant in Disneyland.

To me, a meal at Blue Bayou is part of the quintessential Disneyland experience. Make an early lunch reservation and request a waterside table on your arrival. It's a real novelty but we do it every single trip now without fail. It's not about the food, or the value... it's literally just the experience of dining inside the iconic Pirates of the Caribbean restaurant in Disneyland.
Does that end up throwing off your day at all? I’m a little worried that I’d be giving up prime attraction time for a sit-down lunch.

Does that end up throwing off your day at all? I’m a little worried that I’d be giving up prime attraction time for a sit-down lunch.

When we've done it, we usually have started early (7 or 8am opening) and then gone non-stop on rides and skipped breakfast (maybe stop for some fruit or yogurt in one of the stands or Galactic Grill). So by the time lunchtime rolls around at 11:30, we are more than ready for the Monte Cristo... which is a pretty heavy meal. Even if I only make it through half, I've boxed the rest and eaten it later (a cold & greasy & soggy snack during Fantasmic.. and it was STILL good).

You've all been awesome (especially you @UNIrd), thank you!

Last question: How much of a mess is Trader Sam's? I'd like to go Thursday night, but I'm becoming convinced that it'll be too busy for me (granted, single person). Is it worth going to?