Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mood altering Aromatherapy to be added to Universal Hotels

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
As part of an Start-up Accelerator program lead by Comcast, Pium, a Korean company will partner with Universal and Loew's hotels to pilot their product.

Pium is a smart scent diffuser providing aromatherapy allowing its user to sleep, rest, and concentrate better. It follows user’s daily routine and automatically provides appropriate scents. In the morning, it infuses your bedroom with scents to freshen up. At night, it provides scents for your better sleep.

“Natural scents has the power to change our mood and mind. We build a database for natural scents and recommend the best scent combination for you,” Jaeyeon Kim, founder of Pium and Ph.D student at Cornell Information Science said.

Demo Day of Comcast NBCUniversal LIFT Labs Accelerator, Powered by Techstars, Showcases 10 Companies in Inaugural Class
Home

This is interesting and a great way to advertise the product, i'm assuming they will have them for sale in the hotels. It's also a neat new addition that other hotels don't have.

As part of an Start-up Accelerator program lead by Comcast, Pium, a Korean company will partner with Universal and Loew's hotels to pilot their product.

Pium is a smart scent diffuser providing aromatherapy allowing its user to sleep, rest, and concentrate better. It follows user’s daily routine and automatically provides appropriate scents. In the morning, it infuses your bedroom with scents to freshen up. At night, it provides scents for your better sleep.

“Natural scents has the power to change our mood and mind. We build a database for natural scents and recommend the best scent combination for you,” Jaeyeon Kim, founder of Pium and Ph.D student at Cornell Information Science said.

Demo Day of Comcast NBCUniversal LIFT Labs Accelerator, Powered by Techstars, Showcases 10 Companies in Inaugural Class
Home
We have aromatherapy studios around here but I don't think it is the same thing....

We have aromatherapy studios around here but I don't think it is the same thing....

Essentially free in room aromatherapy service to advertise and test out the product with smart elements that will be made to alter your mood. Essentially imagine waking up at 9 am in your hotel room to the smell of fresh flowers and coffee to energize your day and then right before you go to bed, calming scents like after the rain get bumped through the room.

Essentially free in room aromatherapy service to advertise and test out the product with smart elements that will be made to alter your mood. Essentially imagine waking up at 9 am in your hotel room to the smell of fresh flowers and coffee to energize your day and then right before you go to bed, calming scents like after the rain get bumped through the room.

I've got a defuser in my bedroom and lavender before bed time makes a noticeable difference.

Can I pump the scent of fog and plywood into my room?

That smell gets me going

Possibly....they are still working on scents.

8adbad31185eed4d1947e08cad254d7e_original.jpg

I also find out that it can be tied to the lighting as well so scents can be tied to the room lighting effects to set certain moods. With Comcast trying to make more technological advance hotels, this would add something that can add a really really really nice touch to the rooms.

You mean your "energizing" mint shampoo doesn't wake you up in the morning?

Yeah, me either.

Studies have shown scents do affect mood but there has to be a memory/relationship associated to it. (Smell of funnel cake can make people feel excited as its reminds them of carnivals/theme parks/fairs; smell of coffee energizes them as it triggers experiences with coffee) The smell of mint probably isn't associated with anything in your life that is energizing.

Studies have shown scents do affect mood but there has to be a memory/relationship associated to it. (Smell of funnel cake can make people feel excited as its reminds them of carnivals/theme parks/fairs; smell of coffee energizes them as it triggers experiences with coffee) The smell of mint probably isn't associated with anything in your life that is energizing.
I associate the smell of mint with toothpaste and chewing gum.

fry.jpg

I have a huge problem with artificial and non artificial smells. A perfumer or aftershave could trigger an asthma attack in few seconds. Artificial smells or cooking smells in theme parks don't have that big of an impact but still has affluence and can tighten my airways.
Most of those artificial smell claim natural smells but are chemically created. Smell are small particle clouds that are respirable and will enter the bloodstream where higher concentrations of the years can have a negative impact on your health.
In short, I'm not a fan.