Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Globus Mundi Store in Diagon Alley

I mean that Universal opens up a new store HP about travel, create cool travel posters for store decoration, yet don't initially sell them. There's a complete disconnect on Universal's part, in my opinion with the overall design and selection of their merchandise. Disney has realized what people want:

Dapper day dresses? Here's the dress shop! Home goods? Look at all of these stores we've opened! Millenials want Disney stuff, but don't want to look like a permanent tourist? Check out Disney Style. People love retro? We made a whole line of Mousketeer merch. Hey, they even reference their past attractions and general park history in some merch!

Universal lacks this diversity and variation in their product-line/ an overall willingness to be self-referential in their product. They don't really have home goods, rarely have nods to their park history, and overall still feels cheap (aside from HP and HHN merch.)
While I agree in principle, keep in mind how many years it took for Disney to do those things. And also look how Disney has started going backwards on that stuff again.

The Marketplace Co-op is the best example. It went from a collection of shops that each had unique stuff to turning into something completely generic featuring the same things found in WoD and every gift shop in every park. Anything unique (like those dresses) are in all the stores on property, thus killing any unique aspect of the merchandise.

With the idea of new merchandise like those travel posters, I'd guess Universal has them in the pipeline in some stage, but they really want to gauge reactions to the product first. Why spend thousands of dollars on a product no one will buy? Make sure there is a demand first, then jump through the hoops of product development with WB/JKR, then get it produced.

While Disney has a pretty good track record on merchandise trends, anyone who's been to one of the outlet stores here in Orlando or to Cast Connection can tell you there are also some spectacular misses they make. Remember how they couldn't keep Banshees in stock last year? There's now a mountain of them on sale at deep discount at Cast Connection. Did they over order? Was it the demand was just Disney Lifestylers and once they had what they wanted that was it? It's an expensive mistake to have a huge inventory of stuff no one really wants...

I think Universal could definitely tap the Universal fandom a little more...Obviously there resides significant difference between brands but Universal also has the burden of getting rid of nearly all of their classic attractions so heritage merch is complicated. Oh, and I totally remember when Disney merch was hot garbage. It's a complicated issue, and I do think HP is the one area where they've excelled.

This. I'd love to see retro Universal Studios merch. Something that celebrates their park history.. whether it be Ghostbusters merch, Kong, Earthquake, Hanna-Barbera.. but there is definitely untapped potential.

This. I'd love to see retro Universal Studios merch. Something that celebrates their park history.. whether it be Ghostbusters merch, Kong, Earthquake, Hanna-Barbera.. but there is definitely untapped potential.
Not based on the rides, just the movies, but I love that the Film Vault at USF has JAWS, Back the Future and Ghostbusters merchandise. At least they cater to nostalgia there. They even have some Bates Motel stuff you used to be able to get at the Hitchcock show exit.

I mean the only nostalgia for Universal is old ride IPs and they already have that stuff. Disney is a brand in itself which is hard for Universal to compete with at this point in time.

I want retro, attraction- and park-specific Universal Studios Florida merchandise in the worst way. That would go along way towards to dispelling the feeling that Universal is actively kind of embarrassed by its attractions history at USF.

I would spend SO MANY DOLLARS on that sort of stuff.

ETA: Also, how about a "One Man's Dream"-style "History of Universal's Theme Parks" walkthrough exhibit at the front of the park if they ever redo the entry plaza?

I want retro, attraction- and park-specific Universal Studios Florida merchandise in the worst way. That would go along way towards to dispelling the feeling that Universal is actively kind of embarrassed by its attractions history at USF.

I would spend SO MANY DOLLARS on that sort of stuff.

ETA: Also, how about a "One Man's Dream"-style "History of Universal's Theme Parks" walkthrough exhibit at the front of the park if they ever redo the entry plaza?

I'd be buying all kinds of crap if they offered it.

I don't think Universal are embarrassed by their history though. Disney has a rich history that generations of families have enjoyed, being able to ride the same ride that your grandparents rode when they were kids is a pretty rare and awesome experience. Realistically, by the time I have kids, the only rides that will exist that I rode as a kid will be in IOA.

Universal is about looking to the future, not the past.

I don't think Universal are embarrassed by their history though.

I recognize I'm biased and particularly sensitive on this matter, so there's a chance you're correct!

I just never see them acknowledge the rich history that they do have in USF. No, it's not the same as Disney, but why not throw us a few bones occasionally? How about periodic blog posts about extinct attractions? Photos. Video. You know they've got copious amounts of old promo material in their vaults -- let's see some of it every once in a while.

Disney may sometimes go too far in the direction of tapping our nostalgia for past attractions, but there's a happier medium that Universal could find.

I recognize I'm biased and particularly sensitive on this matter, so there's a chance you're correct!

I just never see them acknowledge the rich history that they do have in USF. No, it's not the same as Disney, but why not throw us a few bones occasionally? How about periodic blog posts about extinct attractions? Photos. Video. You know they've got copious amounts of old promo material in their vaults -- let's see some of it every once in a while.

Disney may sometimes go too far in the direction of tapping our nostalgia for past attractions, but there's a happier medium that Universal could find.

Nostalgia merchandise is one thing but blog posts is something else all together. It will confuse people. If you put out a Kongfrontatiom post and people show up expecting that and get a screen, they’re going to be pissed. Same with Ghostbusters and Back to the Future and Jaws when they can’t find the rides.

A Kong pepper shaker climbing a salt Empire State Building shaker would be awesome while on the subject.

To get this back on topic, maybe Universal are treating their merchandise like their rides. They’re only capable of making something truly great if somebody is watching over their shoulder. They make a great shop like this with great merchandise along with a great HP coaster but their homegrown IPs like the rumoured JP coaster are not on the same level.

Universal has never been keen on nostalgia, minus HHN

I think the Prop Shop is about as close to 'nostalgic merch' as we're going to get

Any news on the Posters? I actually asked as well and they made it seem like in the near future they would be selling some. Seems like others have said, its a missed opportunity to not have MinaLima make a small initial run of these. Cool shop though! I like that they are continuing to add and change things in Diagon Alley.