Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights Auditions

It is, However, probably the easiest (and most fun) way into getting a job at Universal though.
Agreed! It allows you to also play several roles instead of having the same role every night which can become monotonous and the same repetitive motion can start to hurt after a while.

I wouldn’t stress about your height. As for the update in your profile, I don’t think anyone can help; it’s the first year they’re doing auditions this way.

I’m actually curious what happens after you select your height group and hit apply. I didn’t proceed because I don’t think I could make an audition until the end of June or early July. Are audition dates and times listed?
After you hit your height group and apply you’re put in the system to be looked at by the Show Directors. You’ll then either be invited to an audition (smaller groups than previous) or from what I’ve heard some people have just gotten emails being told no straight up.

Thank you so much for the answers, you definitely calmed my nerves! I am sad to hear that they are being even shorter and more so blunt with this audition process than before, but completely understand the need for it. I'm hoping for everyone who applied here that you all at least make it to the audition phase!

Thank you so much for the answers, you definitely calmed my nerves! I am sad to hear that they are being even shorter and more so blunt with this audition process than before, but completely understand the need for it. I'm hoping for everyone who applied here that you all at least make it to the audition phase!
It’s not that they’re being shorter with the auditions. They’re the same. It’s just that they have most of your info already from online that it saves on the front end.

It’s not that they’re being shorter with the auditions. They’re the same. It’s just that they have most of your info already from online that it saves on the front end.

Very good point, I think I got so use to studying/understanding their previous audition method the last 2 years that I viewed the change in a negative when it's not that. With it now being done this way with the height slots and being released earlier, are you thinking that audition times will now be in May or still early July?

I always liked Hollywood's system. Cattle call, usually wait 20 minutes after measurement/photo/sign-in to go in with a group of 15-25 or so into a ballroom.

Inside, they play scary music. You're meant to "stalk" unseen prey in however manner you choose - the music builds, then "drops," at which point you're supposed to go nuts.

They're looking for control of your body, commitment to the bit, and endurance. They're watching carefully *after* the exercise to see who's deeply out of breath.

After that, everyone lines up. Three cones in the center of the room. You pick any character you want (sometimes you announce it to the panel, sometimes you don't), then you "scare" the cones efficiently without touching them. Everyone does this, and you're done.

I always liked Hollywood's system. Cattle call, usually wait 20 minutes after measurement/photo/sign-in to go in with a group of 15-25 or so into a ballroom.

Inside, they play scary music. You're meant to "stalk" unseen prey in however manner you choose - the music builds, then "drops," at which point you're supposed to go nuts.

They're looking for control of your body, commitment to the bit, and endurance. They're watching carefully *after* the exercise to see who's deeply out of breath.

After that, everyone lines up. Three cones in the center of the room. You pick any character you want (sometimes you announce it to the panel, sometimes you don't), then you "scare" the cones efficiently without touching them. Everyone does this, and you're done.

Thanks for the details! I always heard Hollywood’s audition was more comprehensive, but never knew how.

Sounds a lot like Howl-O-Scream's process.

I remember watching a documentary type film about the HHN casting process from over 15 years ago and believe Orlando used to do something similar to this, but I could be wrong. I feel like that process is more appropriate for Streets than Houses as you're given show direction in a House and cannot really change it up and you're in one spot the whole time. While with Streets you have more freedom and have the ability to roam and "stalk" your victims.

I remember watching a documentary type film about the HHN casting process from over 15 years ago and believe Orlando used to do something similar to this, but I could be wrong. I feel like that process is more appropriate for Streets than Houses as you're given show direction in a House and cannot really change it up and you're in one spot the whole time. While with Streets you have more freedom and have the ability to roam and "stalk" your victims.
You were watching "The Art of the Scare," and they did. They'd bring in 10 people at a time, ask a question, then give you an scene to act out. They stopped doing that and went to a straight type-out audition in like 2007/2008.

EDIT - And, back then, House performers had a lot more flexibility in their performances. Talking directly to guests, adding effects, props, etc at the performers request (based on their own interpretation of their character), and altering where your scare from was common and not actively discouraged like it is now.

Last edited:
You were watching "The Art of the Scare," and they did. They'd bring in 10 people at a time, ask a question, then give you an scene to act out. They stopped doing that and went to a straight type-out audition in like 2007/2008.

EDIT - And, back then, House performers had a lot more flexibility in their performances. Talking directly to guests, adding effects, props, etc at the performers request (based on their own interpretation of their character), and altering where your scare from was common and not actively discouraged like it is now.
That's a bummer that all changed. I know last year a few friends were able to get approval to add-in or change stuff about their scares to make them even better, but it's not something that's approved easily.

Day 9 of waiting, food supply is running low, still waiting on my audition date.. The sun shines brighter everyday, unsure on how much longer I can last. If anyone is out there and gets an email back please keep me posted.

Day 9 of waiting, food supply is running low, still waiting on my audition date.. The sun shines brighter everyday, unsure on how much longer I can last. If anyone is out there and gets an email back please keep me posted.
I know a few people who waited about 2 weeks to finally get theirs, hopefully you'll get your invite soon.

It took awhile for many people I know to get invited, but they heard back relatively quickly. I have friends that have been cast as chainsaws, reserves and houses, so they are casting all over right now.

It took awhile for many people I know to get invited, but they heard back relatively quickly. I have friends that have been cast as chainsaws, reserves and houses, so they are casting all over right now.
Casting is definitely happening all over the place. Some people who auditioned during the weekend of the 4th still haven't heard back and some could be waiting all the way until the start of the event to be cast. So strap in!

Be sure to get innoculated .....
You wouldn't want to be the source of an outbreak....

Last edited: