Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

Intamin and Premier outsource their electromagnets the same exact way RMC does.

Didn't know that. Basically, I would bring in a company with a proven track record with their launch systems and make this thing work. Nothing is worse than arriving at a park and seeing a sign stating that one of the primary rides is down for maintenance. Yes, there are other rides but, when it is an anchor ride, it is irritating.

I figure that they might go with a proven launch coaster provider. I was thinking maybe Intamin or Premier could set up the launch on the lift hill and retrofit the trains for the fins. Make that part work more reliably and that should fix everything.

Power Keg at DDC is finicky as all get out. It has to do with the way it lifts upto the launch portion and moisture causing slippage. Seriously, it has seemed to be down about half of my visits over 10 years.
When it's running, it's right as rain. But...they haven't yanked it. It did start out as a water coaster from Premier before S&S converted it to a launch coaster with no water. I can't imagine it ever running if that was the case and why the art showes a slash effect that never happened.

Didn't know that. Basically, I would bring in a company with a proven track record with their launch systems and make this thing work. Nothing is worse than arriving at a park and seeing a sign stating that one of the primary rides is down for maintenance. Yes, there are other rides but, when it is an anchor ride, it is irritating.

That was one of the huge variables back when they announced the ride, Dollywood and RMC admitted that they went with a supplier that had never installed a magnetic propulsion system on a theme park ride before. It would have been better to go with a proven winner, especially given how frequently that launch field needs to be fired up to operate the attraction. Probably would have been more expensive on the front end, but I'm certain that they wouldn't be having the issues they have with downtime had they invested more in the beginning.

New, The Island, photos from Pigeon Forge were just posted on An Epic Adventure-A Live & Interactive Trip Report thread. The CitiWalk type area looks really beautiful :thumbsup:.....Also rafting down the Pigeon River (Creek?).

^Respectfully, this thread is about Dollywood. And speaking of, I expect Dragonfly to be a sleeper hit next year - don't overlook that coaster just because it's a clone of something in Europe. I hear these little rides kick some major booty.

This is a marque ride that put the park on the map for a bunch if people. It is not like bad troubled rides of the past.

Except more people have been turned away from it than have been able to ride it so.. not sure that helped.

^Respectfully, this thread is about Dollywood. And speaking of, I expect Dragonfly to be a sleeper hit next year - don't overlook that coaster just because it's a clone of something in Europe. I hear these little rides kick some major booty.

Further, they can't add big coasters all the time. Dragonfly and that whole area sounds like a nice area to relax and walk. For me, I really enjoy parks that provide places to slow down a little. Then, I can rev back up after taking it easy.

My main concern with Lightning Rod is whether or not they cut their losses or continue trying to work with what they have. The lift hill launch on Maverick seems to be highly reliable and would provide a nice fix. Again, I don't know how hard/easy it would be to retrofit the launch fins. I don't know enough about them.

Dollywood's coaster lineup is really nice. Thunderhead is a good wood coaster with a nice layout. Wild Eagle is a good B&M wingrider, which I didn't think existed. Firechaser is a great family coaster that can be enjoyed by anyone. Blazing Fury is a little rough but fun. Tennessee Tornado is, well, an Arrow looper with a great tunnel. Mystery Mine provides a steel themed coaster. Lightning Rod is a great thrill ride from RMC. For a smaller park, that is a lineup that has been rounded out. Dragonfly will continue with that process.

For anyone wondering about Lightning Rod....No it's not getting torn down.
As I've said before, it's not the launch that's the issue, as it was quite reliable before they closed it for the current issues. They are having to re-profile a track section due to unintended forces. There are also some issues with the magnetic brake fins.

Here is a report from someone who recently visited the RMC plant in Idaho who spoke to an engineer about this:
I took a tour of RMC's factory in Idaho - AMA! : rollercoasters
Another engineer was working on Lightning Rod stuff. It's not actually currently down because of the launch! He said that they have that working pretty reliably now. A piece of track has to be reprofiled because of unintended forces present. The clamps for the magnetic fins on the bottom of the trains were also causing some issues (they work fine but don't last nearly long enough). The company who made the LSMs were very secretive about their design, so RMC has had trouble knowing exactly what forces are present, and there are a lot and they are powerful. At least you know that they share our pain of not knowing secrets :) He had one of the clamps in his office, which I got to look at and examine.

ok guys just got back from my first trip to Dollywood and all i can say is holy crap Lightning Rod
what a freaking ride
great park really lots of great rides
First coaster in many years that just blew my mind. I like that they are not only expanding rides but also entertainment meaning my even older relatives would like this park. I have more confidence of this jumping to my number 1 park spot than anywhere else on this expansion path. I really hope they find a way to do a large nighttime show at some point.

Hey Guys.

I'm going to stay in Pigeon Forge for 4 days during July 4th. Does anyone know any good places to visit/ hidden gems in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area? Dollywood is a definite but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that's good. I went last year but was only there a day so could only do Dollywood.

Also is Dollywood Splash Country worth doing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ober Gatlinburg is a fun little place to check out. It's like an 80s time capsule up there. It has an ice skating rink, arcade, mountain coaster, animal exhibits, food, and a ski lift up to the top of one of the mountains to give an amazing view. I'd really recommend it honestly!

There's also The Island at Pigeon Forge of course with a lot of shops and mini attractions to check out.

From what I remember Pigeon Forge is full to the brim with tourist trap locations. Overall though, there is a decent amount of stuff to do if you do a little checking out online beforehand.

Hey Guys.

I'm going to stay in Pigeon Forge for 4 days during July 4th. Does anyone know any good places to visit/ hidden gems in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area? Dollywood is a definite but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that's good. I went last year but was only there a day so could only do Dollywood.

If you check out @UK-Trigg 's Epic Trip report thread in the trip report section of the forum, he has story and photos of the 5 days, and places he visited, in the Pigeon Forge area last year. It's about midway to two thirds into the trip report.

Hey Guys.

Here’s some things you should visit...

1. Gatlinburg strip
- Anakeesta
- Gatlinburg Skybridge
- The Village
- Ober Gatlinburg
2. New Found Gap
3. Laurel Falls
4. The Island
5. Alcatraz Crime Museum
6. The Old Mill