Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

Revenge of the Mummy is still one of the best rides in the parks. The only thing that keeps this thing tied to the 1999 film is basically the pre-show videos. Update those or remove them altogether USH-style. The Mummy goes back to the 30's with the Boris Karloff film. The property is timeless and we should want to see more of Universal Monsters in the parks, not less.

Andy is right in that, eventually, Mummy is going to need substantial (if not complete) retracking. Hulk did, Dragons did (and was torn down instead), Space Mountain in Disneyland did - it's what happens to coasters that are run for 16 hours a day, 365 days a year.

When we hit that critical path point, Universal will have a decision to make: retrack the existing ride (and take the opportunity of a closure to make improvements that can be marketed), OR, replace it with an entirely new concept. There was an opportunity to go with the latter with the Tom Cruise Mummy/Dark Universe effort... which landed with a thud and was abandoned.

I'm of the opinion that mummies/Egyptology is as close to evergreen as you can get in a movie-themed park, so Universal ought to consider making notable improvements to the ride that they can market as a relaunch, similar to how they handled Spider-Man 2.0. (The Mummy Returns - Scarier than Ever!)

Cheaper than making a whole new ride, low risk of creating an inferior replacement attraction, keeps fans happy.

The case for Ghost Busters at Universal Orlando:
1) Ghost Busters is currently an untapped IP with a lot of recognition and viability for a theme park attraction.

2) Ghost Busters fits perfectly at Universal, specifically in NYC. The IP likely couldn't carry an entire world, just an attraction at an existing land.

The case for replacing The Mummy:

1) The current movies which Revenge of The Mummy is based on are not relevant. And Brendan Fraser is no longer relevant.

2) The ending scene is flat out awkward, because many people don't even see the extended queue videos with Brendan Fraser. Many people end up straight in the 'spooky artifacts' room, and the only time they see Brendan is at the end of the ride. This leaves people confused as to why we're seeing Brendan at all and why he's screaming about a cup of coffee.

3) Note that Brendan is actually playing himself, he's not playing his character from the movie. This is a relic of Universal Studios' old premise that you 'ride the movies,' with a strong emphasises on showing you, the park visitor, a behind the scenes look at the movies. However, since Mummy had been added in Orlando in 2004, Universal has replaced Jaws, Disaster/Earthquake, and Twister, which all shared this premise, with a new focus on rides like Transformers, Despicable Me, F&F, and Gringotts, which ignore this premise. Mummy's premise no longer fits in. (There's still a few others which hold this premise but mostly it's on its way out.)

4) The Mummy IP would fit better at UFW if they add Classic Monsters.

Due to the above six reasons, I'd love to see a full refurbishment (not replacement) of the ride, rebranding it to Ghost Busters, with spooky ghost theme, new animatronics, cgi animation, pre-show with original cast, and other updates.

Refurbishment with new IP would allow Universal to do this on the cheap with also being able to advertise it as a new ride (as they have with other refurbs, including Simpsons and DM).

That all being said, the ride itself is really fun and one that I try to go on often during my visits (probably been on it about a hundred times).

Last edited:
With the new park and having additional land, when does the ride replacements stop? If they had the land for the new park when they decided to further capitalize on Harry Potter with Diagon Alley, would they have closed Jaws?

I am not sure what was the guest satisfaction with Jaws but I believe it was a loved ride. I can understand the maintenance cost for Jaws was probably high and it benefited them to close it but I am wondering whether things will begin to change for Universal. How come Disney is able to keep rides for a long time without anyone complaining?

I don't hear any complaints from guests about The mummy. At what point does keeping rides for the nostalgia start to occur? I would argue Spiderman, The Mummy, MIB, all the Harry Potter stuff, and dinosaurs are iconic and should never be removed or at least not in the next decade or two.

Imagine if they had revamped Kongfrontation, found a way to build The Mummy somewhere else, held onto Jaws, and still built Diagon Alley. Universal Studious would be the million times better than it is now. You have the land now Universal so stop replacing rides.

As for Ghostbusters: why can't they get ride of RRR and the old ghostbusters facade and build a new building there the size of transformers. Ok so maybe it will be a tight fit and there will be no emergency roads into that area but they should find a way lol. Just please don't replace the Mummy.

Edit: Better yet, close down Minion Mayhem which is an old ride system and not iconic. Continue the New York Facade and put Ghostbusters there. Maybe build SLOP at Shrek, even though the sequel did not do that well in the box office and the ride will probably have to be replaced in 5 years. Build a minion land at kid zone or somewhere else. Universal only owns 4/25 of the top grossing franchises with Despicable Me being one and they have not appropriately capitalize on that yet. Very Surprising. They also built the worst ride for one of the other four.
I need to go to the alternate universe where JAWS and Diagon exist together at USF as well as Kong and Mummy

Where would they have built Diagon? And Mummy?

Honestly Diagon could be where Simpsons, animal actors, and part of kid zone is right now. The mummy could be in the building where Jimmy Fallon is except in a whole new building.

I'm of the opinion that mummies/Egyptology is as close to evergreen as you can get in a movie-themed park, so Universal ought to consider making notable improvements to the ride that they can market as a relaunch, similar to how they handled Spider-Man 2.0. (The Mummy Returns - Scarier than Ever!)

Cheaper than making a whole new ride, low risk of creating an inferior replacement attraction, keeps fans happy.

Yes totally agree!!!

1) The current movies which Revenge of The Mummy is based on are not relevant. And Brendan Fraser is no longer relevant.

The Mummy movies are played over and over on Tv, and are still known. Eventually, Brendan Fraser can be removed from the ride easily. Mummies are always cool, and still relevant in pop culture.

I need to go to the alternate universe where JAWS and Diagon exist together at USF as well as Kong and Mummy

This alternate universe would be the best!!!

The case for Ghost Busters at Universal Orlando:
1) Ghost Busters is currently an untapped IP with a lot of recognition and viability for a theme park attraction.

2) Ghost Busters fits perfectly at Universal, specifically in NYC. The IP likely couldn't carry an entire world, just an attraction at an existing land.

The case for replacing The Mummy:

2) The ending scene is flat out awkward, because many people don't even see the extended queue videos with Brendan Fraser. Many people end up straight in the 'spooky artifacts' room, and the only time they see Brendan is at the end of the ride. This leaves people confused as to why we're seeing Brendan at all and why he's screaming about a cup of coffee.

3) Note that Brendan is actually playing himself, he's not playing his character from the movie. This is a relic of Universal Studios' old premise that you 'ride the movies,' with a strong emphasises on showing you, the park visitor, a behind the scenes look at the movies. However, since Mummy had been added in Orlando in 2004, Universal has replaced Jaws, Disaster/Earthquake, and Twister, which all shared this premise, with a new focus on rides like Transformers, Despicable Me, F&F, and Gringotts, which ignore this premise. Mummy's premise no longer fits in. (There's still a few others which hold this premise but mostly it's on its way out.)

4) The Mummy IP would fit better at UFW if they add Classic Monsters.

Due to the above six reasons, I'd love to see a full refurbishment (not replacement) of the ride, rebranding it to Ghost Busters, with spooky ghost theme, new animatronics, cgi animation, pre-show with original cast, and other updates.

Refurbishment with new IP would allow Universal to do this on the cheap with also being able to advertise it as a new ride (as they have with other refurbs, including Simpsons and DM).

That all being said, the ride itself is really fun and one that I try to go on often during my visits (probably been on it about a hundred times).

giphy-1.gif

you better watch your back talkin' like that around here

also:

Would love to see this done on purpose during HHN, similar to how Hollywood does Jurassic Park In The Dark.

best idea ever.

Last edited: