Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland) | Page 103 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Maybe some were expecting more of it, but SR is exactly what I expected it to be. I won't have actually gotten a chance to ride it until it opens at WDW, but from everything i've seen, it looks like a low level E or a high level D.
Yes. My expectations weren't very high for it, so it seems to be just about what I thought it would be according to what I was reading. Great ride for video gamer demo but not my type due to the 'group interactivity'.

I think with SR, while it looks like a fun ride in general, it doesn't offer a big enough leap in new ride design/experience to blow people away. No one is shouting from the rooftops "OMG! YOU HAVE TO RIDE THIS ATTRACTION!" which helps create a groundswell of buzz that attracts more people to come.

Now if everything I've read about RotR is true, then that indeed will be such an attraction and help bring more people (and their wallets) to the land.

Oh, I completely agree that RotR HAS to be an absolute winner. The land as a whole is resting on this being a winner since Smuggler's Run doesn't seem to be a ride to anchor a land.

Disney fans need to check their expectations. The ride sounds like everything they despise in a Universal attraction except the thrill element is reduced. Also heard only one AA in the ride, rest is moving from screen to screen.

^ I'm gonna be honest i want this to do good but... yeah. Your description and advisement for fans to curb our enthusiasm makes me believe this will be a good right, just not a great one.

Disney fans need to check their expectations. The ride sounds like everything they despise in a Universal attraction except the thrill element is reduced. Also heard only one AA in the ride, rest is moving from screen to screen.

Aren't there supposedly multiple Kylo Rens inside the ride itself? I had heard the only segment that was going to be simulating action would be the finale, and that there would be lots of screens, yes, but functioning as windows beyond which we can see out into "space." I had also heard the ride will be crammed with real effects/setpieces/elements.

In any case, if your characterization is more accurate and it ends up just being a "screen to screen" ride, it will be a pretty huge fail in my eyes.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Aren't there supposedly multiple Kylo Rens inside the ride itself? I had heard the only segment that was going to be simulating action would be the finale, and that there would be lots of screens, yes, but functioning as windows beyond which we can see out into "space." I had also heard the ride will be crammed with real effects/setpieces/elements.

In any case, if your characterization is more accurate and it ends up just being a "screen to screen" ride, it will be a pretty huge fail in my eyes.

Yeeeaaahhhhhhhh probably not a lot of real effects.

You are ruining my afternoon, @Joe!

tumblr_medtqnYqin1r7fgjoo1_400.jpg

the "new" pirates is a ton of screens, and people seem to love it.

How many of you still feel Spider-man is one of the best theme park attractions?

If the attraction works, it works...screen or no screenz.

It's a layered discussion. There's also a good amount of flack for the new Pirates because it IS screens. People like @belloq87 have been pretty adamant about their distaste for screen-reliant rides, no matter the company. I think the "army of stormtroopers" scene is also increasing the already high expectations and many anticipate the ride to be something like that.

I fall into your group, that as long as the ride is good, I don't care - but I'd be lying if I didn't get a good chuckle that Disney is now relying on screens after their hardcore fans have been proclaiming Disney "would never" and would use it as a slight against Universal.

FJ has a screen and works wonderfully. Also has A+ theming all around. If the theming around can be good, than I'm still intrigued. Sad to hear 1 AA though. How about the bunch of storm troopers? Are you indicating those are the 1?

People like @belloq87 have been pretty adamant about their distaste for screen-reliant rides, no matter the company.

In my own defense, my distaste is much more contingent upon other factors than it is disliking screen-based rides on principle. Spider-Man is my favorite ride of all time, and I pretty much fell in love with Skull Island, despite being an intense skeptic going in.

But to generalize, I just feel like these kinds of experiences have been (and will be, in the case of Disney) coming at the expense of classic dark rides or more "practical" thrill-dark rides like Indiana Jones or Revenge of the Mummy. Obviously Universal has started to switch gears with Hagrid and seems poised to continue that in Fantastic Worlds, which I'm excited about.

In the case of Galaxy's Edge, my aversion to Rise of the Resistance potentially being a screen-reliant attraction has much more to do with the other attraction in the land already filling that niche (plus Star Tours still hanging around in the park, too). And I also feel like it's been built-up -- by Disney, themselves -- as something much more grand in scope.

In my own defense, my distaste is much more contingent upon other factors than it is disliking screen-based rides on principle. Spider-Man is my favorite ride of all time, and I pretty much fell in love with Skull Island, despite being an intense skeptic going in.

But to generalize, I just feel like these kinds of experiences have been (and will be, in the case of Disney) coming at the expense of classic dark rides or more "practical" thrill-dark rides like Indiana Jones or Revenge of the Mummy. Obviously Universal has started to switch gears with Hagrid and seems poised to continue that in Fantastic Worlds, which I'm excited about.

In the case of Galaxy's Edge, my aversion to Rise of the Resistance potentially being a screen-reliant attraction has much more to do with the other attraction in the land already filling that niche (plus Star Tours still hanging around in the park, too). And I also feel like it's been built-up -- by Disney, themselves -- as something much more grand in scope.
Well, we know the AT-ATs firing at you is a practical effect. And I remember reading there are at least 3 animatronics in the ride, plus a bunch of effects (and the pre-show "ride" has an AA as well)

Huh? I'm hearing a ton of animatronics.

And FoP has everything "Disney fans despise in a Universal attraction," yet it was a monster hit. Now, it helps that unless you count It's Tough To Be A Bug, DAK didn't have a screen ride beforehand.

the "new" pirates is a ton of screens, and people seem to love it.

How many of you still feel Spider-man is one of the best theme park attractions?

If the attraction works, it works...screen or no screenz.
Spider-man has a ton of practical effects. And pirates' screenz are merely used for background (with the exception of one scene)...The real secret here is that with Spiderman/Pirates/Transformers/etc you don't just park in front of a screen, you keep moving, so the kinetic motion is felt and obvious

That could potentially pull this ride down or boost it up...We'll see I guess

Spider-man has a ton of practical effects. And pirates' screenz are merely used for background (with the exception of one scene)...The real secret here is that with Spiderman/Pirates/Transformers/etc you don't just park in front of a screen, you keep moving, so the kinetic motion is felt and obvious

That could potentially pull this ride down or boost it up...We'll see I guess

I have a feeling the screens will only add to the ride, and there will be plenty of practical effects to go around. You are riding through a mock Star Destroyer.
I’ve read through the rumored spoiler description, and if they can pull it off it will be quite the attraction.

Reactions: Freak
I have a feeling the screens will only add to the ride, and there will be plenty of practical effects to go around. You are riding through a mock Star Destroyer.
I’ve read through the rumored spoiler description, and if they can pull it off it will be quite the attraction.
I'm hoping it's awesome, and I'm expecting it to be awesome.

Don’t worry I felt the same at one point as the constant complaining was getting annoying to me as well. :bored:
I must have missed something, I thought we were speculating on the ride

I don’t think there’s any reason to fear for the ride’s quality. Shanghai’s Pirates is the most recent mega ride they’ve built, and that ride seems to strike a great balance of how it uses all of the tools in the box.

On top of that, Disney has historically thrived when building their unlimited budget E-Tickets. When they want to knock your socks off, they are absolutely capable of delivering. Their struggle is in delivering compelling attractions on the lower tiers (Navi River, new Soarin’, Toy Story Land as a whole, and so on).

Their struggle is in delivering compelling attractions on the lower tiers (Navi River, new Soarin’, Toy Story Land as a whole, and so on).
I don't think TSL belongs in that category as I think it turned out to be exactly what they wanted it to be. NRJ on the other hand, I definitely agree with.