Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19: Us

Eh, thats cool I guess. Not too excited for this, but hey, I said the same thing about Krampus and it blew me away, so I'll give this a chance.

Also, they couldn't do a promo art for it? Why not?

Am i the only one excited for this? I think it'll have tons of good sets and characters to use. I even think that it can be scary if they play there cards right.
Definitely not, it's by far my most anticipated maze at the moment. (Maybe Pandora's Box will blow me away?) I do have some concern about the quick turnaround, like I said, but as a concept/IP, I couldn't be more excited.

Yes, which is why if any of the houses will be cheap it'll be this one.

Good point, and any budget overruns on the other mazes will have affected this one because it's the last one to start.

Still, the movie came out in March and Murdy's had plenty of time to think about it. And I'm not sure when Us was replaced, but it couldn't have been later than May?

Good point, and any budget overruns on the other mazes will have affected this one because it's the last one to start.

Still, the movie came out in March and Murdy's had plenty of time to think about it. And I'm not sure when Us was replaced, but it couldn't have been later than May?
I mean, I know nothing about what it truly takes to construct a HHN maze, but May doesn't seem that late, plus the team already has a preexisting relationship with Jordan. We have heard that the pitch went extremely well.

This quote from Murdy in the press release is also interesting: "It’s an honor to have the opportunity to work with [Jordan] and his talented team to bring his unique vision for Us to life as a ‘living horror movie’ as part of ‘Halloween Horror Nights." Sounds like it's going to be very collaborative, and having more hands on deck could help with a truncated design/creation process.

Again, the only thing holding this maze back is the shorter timeframe. I find it hard to believe that Universal won't go whole hog on this one.

I mean, I know nothing about what it truly takes to construct a HHN maze, but May doesn't seem that late, plus the team already has a preexisting relationship with Jordan. We have heard that the pitch went extremely well.

This quote from Murdy in the press release is also interesting: "It’s an honor to have the opportunity to work with [Jordan] and his talented team to bring his unique vision for Us to life as a ‘living horror movie’ as part of ‘Halloween Horror Nights." Sounds like it's going to be very collaborative, and having more hands on deck could help with a truncated design/creation process.

Again, the only thing holding this maze back is the shorter timeframe. I find it hard to believe that Universal won't go whole hog on this one.

I'm not trying to crap on that quote, but that's pretty standard Horror Nights press release talk. Still, even if it's the last maze to start construction, the actual creative vision has had plenty of time to percolate.

Personally, I can see this maze going either way. It either started construction too late, so that all the other mazes already went overbudget and they had peanuts to work with (maybe Ghostbusters or Stranger Things 2 went way too hard budget-wise), or they still had enough funds earmarked to where they hit it out of the park. I am predicting a few black walls for this one, just feels like they waited a bit too long to start.

this is my least anticipated maze this year but I'm happy for Peele. The movie just wasn't scary which is what Im mostly scared about.

Wasn't a fan of the film, and the quick turnaround doesn't bode well, but hey, this maze is guaranteed to have the best soundtrack this year at least!

Gonna quote something that was said on the HHN'29 Us thread by @kingcooger.

"I am less concerned about Orlando's version than I am with Hollywood's. I have already heard that Murdy told Monkey's Paw that "Black walls are just how it is" from a friend who works for the studio."

Gonna quote something that was said on the HHN'29 Us thread by @kingcooger.

"I am less concerned about Orlando's version than I am with Hollywood's. I have already heard that Murdy told Monkey's Paw that "Black walls are just how it is" from a friend who works for the studio."
I don't wanna drag out an argument, but it should be noted that those black halls in Poltergeist, First Purge and H4 at least were confirmed by Murdy to be scenes originally that got cut due to budgetary restrictions. I doubt Murdy meant that Black Walls are just how HHN does their mazes, moreso that money is limited and some things need to be cut.

While that is true for that year, my friend told me this BEFORE Monkey's Paw had even signed off on letting "Us" appear at the event. They raised concerns about the black wall issue when they saw the proposed layout/scene breakdown. That's when Murdy responded with the quote above.

Like I said in the other thread, things can change. My concern is they raised the red flag DURING the proposal portion and Murdy told them that BEFORE approval and BEFORE construction got underway and budget became a concern. Again, things change, but the timeline does give me some pause.