Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Web Slingers (DCA)

…..
……..

First off, well someone clearly wants to dance along a very thin tightrope here. Though why do I have a feeling Disney is not gonna' put out a blog post dunking on them and stating that's not what's happening?

Is it just me, or does the preshow/queue settings look a tad like the infamous Journey into Your Imagination? Not the best kind of vibe you wanna' go for here.

Other than that, it's just bland industrial setting after bland industrial setting. With most of the work being done via AR on the window/screen on the RV. For a hero with such a vibrant rogue's gallery and what you can do with them...THIS is what they come up with? Like with Donald Duck "dressed" as the Hulk, this is again coming off as a company that just doesn't "get" the IP they have.

Out of curiosity, is Joe Rohde working on this? If not, it's kinda' crazy he was able to do far more with a overlay than what WDI is making from the ground up. Though if he is, what the heck is going on here?!
Joe is no longer on Marvel projects.

The problem I see that there’s nothing unique about this ride to reflect the character or the uniqueness of the ip. I hope there’s something we don’t know to put a better spin on this.

Like I can see how it COULD be really great or different especially with AR.

I could write a much longer post (and have in the past, but i'm too lazy to look for it right now), but it just seems like WDI doesn't understand Marvel at all.

I think the culture of WDI doesn't lend itself to general Marvel projects too well, they tend to want to have EVERYONE be a super hero when that's sorta not the point. Just as I wouldn't trust Universal with a sincere princess movie attraction I don't think WDI does well with these sorts of projects.

Like I can see how it COULD be really great or different especially with AR.

I think the culture of WDI doesn't lend itself to general Marvel projects too well, they tend to want to have EVERYONE be a super hero when that's sorta not the point. Just as I wouldn't trust Universal with a sincere princess movie attraction I don't think WDI does well with these sorts of projects.
I agree. If they designed Kong, instead of being stuck in the middle of a fight with the dinosaur and Kong, we would be somehow helping Kong in the fight.

Heroes instead of victims.

Man just imagine if Universal was in control of all of Marvel with Epic Universe coming up

Pretty much, if Universal still retains the Marvel theme parks worldwide, they would have done a much better job. Marvel is something that doesn't fit properly with the Disney Brand because of its style and attitude relative to real life different than the cookie cutter family-friendly movies Disney have before 2009. Unfortunately, Disney is extremely overprotective of its IPs and is a major theme park rival to Universal. There's no way in hell Disney would give that right back to Universal, which would have done a great job with their IPs. Universal got the Marvel theme park rights first, not Disney (which wanted nothing to do with Marvel until 2009).

As i've said before, the campus idea is a giant mistake. There should've been at least 2-3 pretty well themed mini-lands (Wakanda, Asgard and Marvel's New York for example) with a hub connecting all three. "Marvel" is not an IP. Black Panther is. Thor is. Iron Man, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, etc are.

I could write a much longer post (and have in the past, but i'm too lazy to look for it right now), but it just seems like WDI doesn't understand Marvel at all.

It sounds like they really should just build a Marvel focused theme park. Get away from the Disney brand, build a thrilling theme park for Marvel fans.

I don't know. A modern day peppers ghost effect that tracks with a moving vehicle sounds interesting to me. Maybe this isn't the right way to use the technology but it is innovative

I think a Marvel centric park would 100% work. You could have a New York Area, Wokanda, Asgard, Knowhere, Stark Expo. JEEZE the potential is almost limitless.

There should have been a new Disney park with Marvel and Star Wars as the headliners. Marvel wouldn't be able to carry the wait all on it's own (especially if the brand dies out somehow), but a four-land park like Epic Universe would have been fine.

That park could have had Pandora (west coast version), Marvel (New York and Wakanda), Star Wars (Galaxy's Edge with another ride or two and the entertainment that got cut), and Pixar. Tron could have been in the entrance area to keep it out of Tomorrowland (rumors keep saying that it'll go there). Problem solved.

Am I only one who thinks that parks based on one IP wouldn’t be successful?

Marvel isn't 1 IP though. There are marvel princesses, villains, heroes, video games, books and comics (obviously). If you only think super heroes when you think Marvel, then you're not totally familiar with them. I would argue and stand behind the sentiment that there are more diverse characters and original stories at Marvel, than at Disney (before they purchased it).