Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Play! Pavilion

I get it, but it used to be Disney was about making attractions for the whole family. The famous story of Walt's vision for Disneyland was that he was sitting on a bench while his daughters rode rides, and he thought that his park should be things families could experience together. More and more Disney is segmented into stuff for 8 year old girls and stuff for (the Disney version of) thrill seekers.
Agreed. I wonder if we have Universal to blame for that? Or Eisner.

I think what we have here is a place for grandma and the little ones to hang out INSIDE while the rest of their party rides the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster. It's not meant to be a headliner attraction, but it is useful for a certain demographic.

It's the same reason there happens to be a playground at the Mission Space exit, or racecars at the Test Track exit. These not only offer additional things to do after your ride, but they offer an alternative experience for those prone to motion sickness or too young to ride.

I get it, but it used to be Disney was about making attractions for the whole family. The famous story of Walt's vision for Disneyland was that he was sitting on a bench while his daughters rode rides, and he thought that his park should be things families could experience together. More and more Disney is segmented into stuff for 8 year old girls and stuff for (the Disney version of) thrill seekers.
This is the way I'm thinking that TDO thought of it:
Exec 1: "We're bulldozing Innoventions and need a place to put the characters, what should we do?"
Exec 2: "How about that pavilion we use for Food & Wine? It's already built and we can use projections on the ceiling to save money."
Chapek: "Perfect! GREENLIGHT! #MOARDIZKNEE"

Basically, Disney is saving money by demolishing buildings as they no longer are paying to upkeep, staff, pay electrical, etc. So they can move whatever to Wonders now. Maybe someday it'll turn back into ACTUAL attractions space. The show buildings are just sitting there...

I'm sure this will be fine for what it is. Just know what you're walking into. That problem I think Disney may have with the GP is that taking that fairly long walk into the Wonders Pavilion, it will feel like there should be something more than just Meet & Greets and minor diversions in there. Of course that's because it was designed to have more.

Of course this will be the only thing for small kids on that side of the park so who am I kidding.

Will be open for the 50th. Something about water balloon fights and stuff. I'm interested in this Pavilion if just for how insane it seems to be.
play-pavilion-concept-art-epcot-overhaul-1024x540.jpg

Will be open for the 50th. Something about water balloon fights and stuff. I'm interested in this Pavilion if just for how insane it seems to be.
play-pavilion-concept-art-epcot-overhaul-1024x540.jpg
So the pavilion is literally called “Play!?” I’m not sure if that’s genius or terrible lol

Also talks about 3 levels of play. That sounds interesting if they go vertical in that space.
I'm not sure if it's vertical but more like in the video game sense. The rumor has always been 3 IPs and I think they talked about 3 experiences today. That's how i'd read it as of now at least.

The Pavilion is visible again! Now to take down some of the trees on the other side.

I doubt they’ll take down many trees on the left. It’s the only thing blocking the view of the giant coaster building from that area.

I doubt they’ll take down many trees on the left. It’s the only thing blocking the view of the giant coaster building from that area.
Oh definitely. They need to keep a strong tree presence there to block that building, but I still do think that a good amount of trimming on that side could be done to clear the view of Play! even further.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this but......has Disney given up on WALL-E? It is consistently rated as one of the best Pixar movies, has kid friendly characters (ROBOTS!) and it's environmental message seems perfectly suited for EPCOT. Would have been nice to see something in this area based on this movie.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this but......has Disney given up on WALL-E? It is consistently rated as one of the best Pixar movies, has kid friendly characters (ROBOTS!) and it's environmental message seems perfectly suited for EPCOT. Would have been nice to see something in this area based on this movie.
I mean, it's really possible that any characters show up in this space. But to your point on WALL-E... yes it's a great movie, but lack of sales for the IP are a big reason they haven't pushed it harder. However it would fit much better as an omnimover replacement for Buzz in Tomorrowland imo if they were to insert it into the parks.

This could be a sleeper hit tbh

The interactivity aspect of this pavilion is intriguing and it could regularly rotate technology in the spirit of Innoventions

There's definitely a version of the concept that ends up being a very solid little area for kids.

There's also another version where it's just a cutesy overload.