Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN '19 - Game Plan

I'm going on saturday September 28. Just bought an Express pass. Last year with express everything was pretty much a walk-on. Should I expect the same this year? I've heard express lines can get busy too.

Also. My ticket says Park entry is at 5:45 PM, but I've read that some are allowed entry as early as 5:30 PM. Any truth to this?

When I went, they let us in about 15 minutes early, so yeah. You should get there early either way (4:30-5PM) to be one of the first groups in, that way you can do a first run through of the mazes before the lines get long!

When I went, they let us in about 15 minutes early, so yeah. You should get there early either way (4:30-5PM) to be one of the first groups in, that way you can do a first run through of the mazes before the lines get long!
Thanks! Good to know. I plan on getting there around 5pm to make most of the trip.

Thanks! Good to know. I plan on getting there around 5pm to make most of the trip.

Ghostbusters and Klowns can occasionally get backed up, from what I've seen, but not more than 15 minutes or so. You probably already know this, but try and hit as many mazes as you can *before* using your Express so you can do repeats. Have fun!

Can anyone confirm if this is a good game plan:
1) Stranger Things
2) Ghostbusters
3) FMTW
4) Creepshow
5) Killer Klowns
6) Us
7) Pandora
8) Holidayz
9) HOTC

Can anyone confirm if this is a good game plan:
1) Stranger Things
2) Ghostbusters
3) FMTW
4) Creepshow
5) Killer Klowns
6) Us
7) Pandora
8) Holidayz
9) HOTC
That should work well if you're running and/or don't plan to stop for dinner. If it's a Friday or Saturday, I'd still suggest getting express. If it closes at 1 AM, you'll be very pressed for time, beat the crowds at all costs! A

I am going on a Friday that ends at 2 AM so hopefully that works well for me.

I'd almost suggest ditching one or more of the metro mazes if they start to develop lines, in that case. I've noticed all three of the Metro mazes absolutely empty out from 12:30am on (we're talking total walk-ons or 15 minute waits). Maybe consider doing Stranger Things, Klowns, Us/Pandora, Corpses/Holidays... then heading down to Metro/enjoying shows and rides and hitting any repeats in those last hours.

I'd almost suggest ditching one or more of the metro mazes if they start to develop lines, in that case. I've noticed all three of the Metro mazes absolutely empty out from 12:30am on (we're talking total walk-ons or 15 minute waits). Maybe consider doing Stranger Things, Klowns, Us/Pandora, Corpses/Holidays... then heading down to Metro/enjoying shows and rides and hitting any repeats in those last hours.
Also kinda depends what opens for early entry. I basically did his list but had to wait for some houses to open.

I may go back tomorrow or Sunday and I think I might do this. Stranger Things first, then Ghostbusters, then hit the houses again much later in the night.

I did a hiiiiiighly irregular Game Plan after I arrived late on Thursday and managed to do all mazes except Pandora. I don't necessarily recommend it because it is a loooooot of walking, but if you find yourself in this situation, here it goes:

1) Make a beeline for Ghostbusters, then do FMTW and then Creepshow. In retrospect, I really should have done Us first, because it started out at 10 minutes due to the weird placement of the maze and ended up going to 2 hours+ for most of the night. Ghostbusters is surprisingly very slow-burn on Thursday, although it does end up reaching the heights of Us, as well as Poltergeist from last year, just later in the night.

Regardless, I was able to do GB in 20 minutes, FMTW in about 25-30-ish, and Creepshow in 65 (longest wait of the night)

2) Then we rushed back to the lower lot and actually skipped the two mazes there, Klownz and Stranger Things. Instead, we rushed to the upper lot and did the maze with the shortest wait-time: House of 1000 Corpses (which had depressingly low waits for the entire night). Right afterwards, we did Holidayz. In total, even though HOTC listed a 50 minute wait, it was really closer to like, 25 minutes, it was really fast. Holidayz's wait was advertised as 45 minutes, and that sounds about right.

3) By now, you can probably imagine we were exhausted, so of course we did the obvious thing and rushed down to the Lower Lot to do Klowns. The line was listed as 60 minutes, and we thought this was gonna be the end of the trip. Instead, it zipped by in maybe 30-35 minutes or so. Ditto Stranger Things, which by then (1:20 ish) had a 45 minute wait time listed but really was closer to 10 or 20 minutes.

4) Afterwards, we were completely tired out, drunk, a little irritable, so we did the logical thing and sprinted up the stairs from the lower lot to the Upper Lot to do Us at 1:42 AM. We arrived at around 1:52, comfortably within schedule to experience Us. Unfortunately, Pandora closed down the second we left, but ultimately, we got to do eight mazes that night as well as get our weekly workout and eat one of those disgusting-looking Slimer Dogs.

I don't really recommend this plan to anyone, but if you want our thinking, the fundamentals went: do the ones furthest from the gate first (so at least you don't have to walk all that way) then cherrypick the attractions with the lowest wait times. It usually ends up working out, and those estimated wait-times are usually lies.

Definitely there was quite a bit of conga-lining tonight as the night went on, which I have mixed feelings about. Of course I probably wouldn't have experienced all those mazes if that conga-lining hadn't been there, but again, kinda ruined some of the scares. Oh well, I'm still proud of myself for doing eight mazes when I only managed to do five last year.

I did a hiiiiiighly irregular Game Plan after I arrived late on Thursday and managed to do all mazes except Pandora. I don't necessarily recommend it because it is a loooooot of walking, but if you find yourself in this situation, here it goes:

1) Make a beeline for Ghostbusters, then do FMTW and then Creepshow. In retrospect, I really should have done Us first, because it started out at 10 minutes due to the weird placement of the maze and ended up going to 2 hours+ for most of the night. Ghostbusters is surprisingly very slow-burn on Thursday, although it does end up reaching the heights of Us, as well as Poltergeist from last year, just later in the night.

Regardless, I was able to do GB in 20 minutes, FMTW in about 25-30-ish, and Creepshow in 65 (longest wait of the night)

2) Then we rushed back to the lower lot and actually skipped the two mazes there, Klownz and Stranger Things. Instead, we rushed to the upper lot and did the maze with the shortest wait-time: House of 1000 Corpses (which had depressingly low waits for the entire night). Right afterwards, we did Holidayz. In total, even though HOTC listed a 50 minute wait, it was really closer to like, 25 minutes, it was really fast. Holidayz's wait was advertised as 45 minutes, and that sounds about right.

3) By now, you can probably imagine we were exhausted, so of course we did the obvious thing and rushed down to the Lower Lot to do Klowns. The line was listed as 60 minutes, and we thought this was gonna be the end of the trip. Instead, it zipped by in maybe 30-35 minutes or so. Ditto Stranger Things, which by then (1:20 ish) had a 45 minute wait time listed but really was closer to 10 or 20 minutes.

4) Afterwards, we were completely tired out, drunk, a little irritable, so we did the logical thing and sprinted up the stairs from the lower lot to the Upper Lot to do Us at 1:42 AM. We arrived at around 1:52, comfortably within schedule to experience Us. Unfortunately, Pandora closed down the second we left, but ultimately, we got to do eight mazes that night as well as get our weekly workout and eat one of those disgusting-looking Slimer Dogs.

I don't really recommend this plan to anyone, but if you want our thinking, the fundamentals went: do the ones furthest from the gate first (so at least you don't have to walk all that way) then cherrypick the attractions with the lowest wait times. It usually ends up working out, and those estimated wait-times are usually lies.

Definitely there was quite a bit of conga-lining tonight as the night went on, which I have mixed feelings about. Of course I probably wouldn't have experienced all those mazes if that conga-lining hadn't been there, but again, kinda ruined some of the scares. Oh well, I'm still proud of myself for doing eight mazes when I only managed to do five last year.
Conga lines were bad last night. I did early entry and left by 8:30 when it looked like the lines to get in were packed. The first Thursday where it seemed crowded. Early entry is the key if you can make it.

I definitely feel like conga lines are an all-time worse this year. The second time we did Klownz, there were two separate occasions where we came to a complete standstill and waited at least ten seconds each time. There was no security or anybody like that anywhere when we got out. My friend just turned to me and said “selfies.”

Consider me in full favor of banning phones next year

I actually think that banning phones and cameras is a great idea. I can fully understand the feeling of wanting to record the maze to put it up on youtube or to look back in the future or even to show your friends that you came. However, this should only be acceptable if those people do not stop in a maze to capture every scare. WOW, who cares you missed one or two scares. Just move on! I know a friend who loves horror as much as we all do, but he only is able to attend HHN once a year, and with general admission. If he does the mazes and gets unlucky, he could leave the night without getting too scared and not having fun at all. This is a very serious problem that should be noted and taken care of as soon as possible.

I definitely feel like conga lines are an all-time worse this year. The second time we did Klownz, there were two separate occasions where we came to a complete standstill and waited at least ten seconds each time. There was no security or anybody like that anywhere when we got out. My friend just turned to me and said “selfies.”

Consider me in full favor of banning phones next year
Conga lines are not only the guests fault. They don't space out people good enough when entering the mazes. I know this is always a balance of getting people thought but also making sure they don't clog the flow. Banning cameras may work but I doubt it.

They could easily solve this by adding Wednesdays in October. I know they’re doing that next week but next year they should consider it. Thursday nights are pretty packed.

Conga lines are not only the guests fault. They don't space out people good enough when entering the mazes. I know this is always a balance of getting people thought but also making sure they don't clog the flow. Banning cameras may work but I doubt it.
Yeah, there are issues around that, too. I don't think it was an issue during that Klownz run because the line said 60 minutes and we clocked the actual wait at 59:03.

But I totally get what you mean, it isn't always the guests. During another super terrible conga experience, it was because the person managing the line was just doing a bad job. Apologies for getting off topic, but it's a good story: It was our second GB run, and the wait was 75. We're a little more than halfway through and it feels like it's gonna be a full 75, but then all of a sudden we just start cruising. At first we thought they had opened up more space in the line to increase capacity, but it never happened, we just kept steadily moving to the front. Eventually we get close enough to see that the line manager is just waving people through like crazy, general admission and express at the exact same time, not even counting or even looking at how many people she's letting in. She was just waving both her hands like a crazy person. At one point she got annoyed that some people she was directing weren't moving, but the only reason they weren't moving was because the line was so backed up. At that point someone behind me yelled "Relax, lady!" and the whole thing just got weird. Needless to say, worst run of the entire season for me, by far. Conga the whole way through with multiple periods of standing completely still surrounded black walls. Ugh.

Also, I was being facetious about the phone ban. There's no way it would ever happen. People would be absolutely livid if they couldn't take pics, attendance would plummet lol. That said, it would be an interesting experiment -- you'd definitely just get people interested in experiencing the event, not just getting cool pics for IG.

Also, I was being facetious about the phone ban. There's no way it would ever happen. People would be absolutely livid if they couldn't take pics, attendance would plummet lol. That said, it would be an interesting experiment -- you'd definitely just get people interested in experiencing the event, not just getting cool pics for IG.

Orlando seems to be doing just fine with the no photo/vid rule.

Orlando seems to be doing just fine with the no photo/vid rule.
How do they enforce it? Is it like, a hard and fast rule where they won’t even let you in if you have something that can take photos or video, or if they see people doing it, they just ask them to stop? I imagine that it would be hard to enforce in the actual mazes without having to disrupt the experience. The mazes are where the majority of people are taking photos, at least in LA, which I think takes the Instagram stuff way, way more seriously than Orlando. If Hollywood outright banned phones, people would riot lol

Different coasts. Different folks. This is Hollywood. It's Instagram or die. Look at the recently closed pop-up exhibit at Downtown Disney.

Bingo