Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

It opens in three weeks. We're passed "fixing" and moving into "panic."
Eh, I’m not concerned. We’ve got one secondhand rumor of exactly one special effect not being as cool as intended, and even if true, plenty of rides do just fine with a cheesy effect or two.

Eh, I’m not concerned. We’ve got one secondhand rumor of exactly one special effect not being as cool as intended, and even if true, plenty of rides do just fine with a cheesy effect or two.
I don't know, man. A slow moving journey through a bunch of screens and barely moving animatronics isn't exactly the bill of goods Disney sold.

But first, they need to make sure it works.

I don't know, man. A slow moving journey through a bunch of screens and barely moving animatronics isn't exactly the bill of goods Disney sold.

I don't know, man. A slow moving journey through a bunch of screens and barely moving creatures isn't exactly the bill of goods SeaWorld sold for Antarctica and look how it tur.... oh wait.

I’m not going to sit here and say that I’m concerned because if it sucks I just won’t go on it, but I can see how the combination of a handful of slight misses could really make this thing ho-hum. Ride vehicle speed is a big deal - having been on Ratatouille (technically not the same base as RotR but for all intents...), if the droid here is driving you around at that speed it’s going to feel like the 2019 version of the OJ Bronco chase.

I can’t say that I’m that impressed with much the WDI has done over the last 4-5 years sans Pandora area development, FoP, and Guardians Tower.

Last edited:
I don't know, man. A slow moving journey through a bunch of screens and barely moving creatures isn't exactly the bill of goods SeaWorld sold for Antarctica and look how it tur.... oh wait.

I’m not going to sit here and say that I’m concerned because if it sucks I just won’t go on it, but I can see how the combination of a handful of slight misses could really make this thing ho-hum. Ride vehicle speed is a big deal - having been on Ratatouille (technically not the same base as RotR but for all intents...), if the droid here is driving you around at that speed it’s going to feel like the 2019 version of the OJ Bronco chase.

I can’t say that I’m that impressed with much the WDI has done over the last 4-5 years sans Pandora area development, FoP, and Guardians Tower.
Are you talking domestic parks or world wide? Because Shanghai pirates is fantastic.

Are you talking domestic parks or world wide? Because Shanghai pirates is fantastic.
I think this a valid point. From what I’ve seen of Shanghai Pirates (YouTube) and what RotR is starting to look/sound like, there are a couple of note-worthy differences.

First, the “visceral” sensations of the RV. Pirates, sense it’s in the water, adds an extra, subtly immersive sensation to the action. The bobbing does a lot. A trackless RV is far more sterile, and when a dozen Stormtroopers are shooting at your petering transport, the lack of whiplash causes a disconnect that riders can feel without naming.

Which leads into the second big difference. Pirates features huge, transformative projections that send you underwater, raises ships, and adds an extra sense of speed that RotR doesn’t even attempt to do. There’s a benefit to practical sets, true, but Star Wars Imperial/First Order ships are pretty rote. It’s closer to, yeah, Antarctica.

There is a certain vehicle reaction that I'm worried about with Rise

I do know that it will park on a motion base, but I can't imagine the tilting and jarring will continue in every scene

This is another reason why something like Kong can be a bit anti climactic...The first screen scene in particular

I'm still curious to see how they pull off the light saber effect. Cool story effect idea and I'd like to see the mechanism to pull it off

I think there will be plenty of jerky motion to jolt the riders and mixed with the effects and scenery will amp the speed illusion.

And, strangely, one major AA and slow ride vehicles shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I think people are expecting Spiderman, when they're going to get something more akin to Na'vi River Journey with a drop chamber.

The sense I've gotten from the laser blasts is just light beams and a good haze. Like a rock concert. I kinda hope it's more than that though.

Comparing this to Spiderman is dumb. At best, 2 scenes (1 long one), may compare. The rest is on a “motion” base that doesn't come close to Spidey.

I don’t believe the laser blasts are going to be that amazing. The patent is something that CAN NOT be close to riders. It’s not like there will be spinning disks in a path right over the ride vehicles.

Until a true insider says they are amazing, it’s just more “the welded heads are going to move” BS.

But it’s like 100 barely moving animatronics!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I’ve heard is the patent isn’t how the laser blasts will be used on ride. Even lower tech way.

I could see a lot of projection mapping. Perhaps using it on fog. Could work Ok. But I would think the fog would need to be too thick for it to look real cool.

Perhaps fog blowers, creating targeted fog sections.

I’ll give those effect 6 months before disco laser blasts.

If what I had heard from a few sources, mixed with what the original intent was from the patent, it really is simple... but could work pretty well in the end.

A led light strip on a rails -pew-

But if I would try to create it I would make a long tube with many slices of acrylic. Under each acrylic slice I would place a tiny led light. Make the light walk makes for a bright bream moving to where ever it needs to go. When the background is lowly lit it will probably look decent.

If I come off it thinking it's cracked my "Top 10 Rides in Orlando" list, I'll consider that a win (for me).

Top 10 in Orlando is your barometer? That's pretty low expectations for a ride that Disney has dumped a ton of work and money into. Their expectations are certainly much better than "top 10 in Orlando". Will it deliver? Time will tell.

But if this isn't a "Top 3" ride at WDW, I'd consider it a colossal disappointment/failure in both the GP's eyes and Disney's.

Ya, I can't wait for the people on Magic who constantly, and still to this day, make jokes about Hagrid's not being open ever. I typically don't like that kind of revengeness feeling but oh man honestly it might taste good if this thing closes one day before or after Christmas. Im not rooting for that for the rides success purposes, but part of me will be happy knowing those fans get a taste of their own medicine.

Just my opinion as a guy who is on a theme park forum: You're taking theme parks way too seriously.

How are you any different from those you loathe?

I hope it and Hagrid's would both have little to no downtime... but that's just me.

Ya, I can't wait for the people on Magic who constantly, and still to this day, make jokes about Hagrid's not being open ever. I typically don't like that kind of revengeness feeling but oh man honestly it might taste good if this thing closes one day before or after Christmas. Im not rooting for that for the rides success purposes, but part of me will be happy knowing those fans get a taste of their own medicine.
I always cling to the thought that they can think what they want and make fun of what they want. It will not effect Universal's growth in the slightest.

As for SWL, I hope that the opening of Rise goes well so as not to send a ripple of cuts through the company...There is a bigger picture