Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa??

It just seems weird to give us a huge plot of land, for a potential attraction for something they could fit in so many different areas.
I think the thought process is that there is no ride in that entire strip, but there really isn't a need to have one. I would keep that area as a strict animal area.

As others have mentioned, a huge part of the reason why Screamin' Swings are so fun, are because your family can watch you as you go on them. This looks pretty secluded. Additionally, this type of ride was literally mean't for Jungala. Just the motion of the ride fits in with the lively nature of that area so well, plus it doesn't have a ride in the area at all. The back of the park could seriously use something new. I hope they reconsider the placement of this one.

It looks like it will be visible from the Elephant area, and I'd guess it will swing up right next to the Skyride. Looking at that plan I'd guess they could be moving the loading area for the giraffe feeding trucks as part of that area they're creating.

Here's the plan overlay from the article:

xFp0pRT.jpg

A few notes - Screamin' Swing is totally a guess based only on the fact that BGW just got one and the layout of the paths coming out of the queue building. It could literally be anything, as Busch files their plans with the SWFWMD completly stripped of any foundation/structural/architectural details of their new attractions - these plans are only concerned with the grading and drainage portion of the project area. Additionally, Screamin' Swings are quite loud thanks to their compressed air launch system and screaming guests, and this new attraction is quite close to the Elephant habitat - so who knows, it could be something else entirely.
Hmm, seems like they're waiting on 2022 for the razzle dazzle

When I told you all to watch this area I was expecting something a bit...more

Also, do they make temporary gravel?

Nooo, Busch Gardens what are you doing lol

Any chance this could be something else? As others have said, there are a dozen spots around the park that would be better, even ideal, for a Screamin Swing. To be entirely brutal, the notion of squandering the entire Rhino Rally plot for one seems too shockingly ill-conceived and lazy to have come from even the stingiest of bean counters in the most insulated of boardroom vacuums.

I don’t know how final these plans are, but if I were an executive at Busch Gardens I would seriously reconsider putting a Screamin’ Swing in that spot, if they’re dead set on putting one in the park at all. For one thing, it’s an invitation for animal rights activists to (justifiably) raise a stink about disturbing the animals. Second, that area is just not appropriate for an unthemed metal thrill ride. It should be strictly reserved for high-quality attractions that focus on animals and conservation, and not just passively like Tigris and Cheetah Hunt but in a way that meaningfully and thoughtfully connects guests with the animals.

Like I said before, the Screamin' Swing is just a guess based on the queue design and Busch's history of installing similar attractions at their parks in subsequent years. Realistically it could pretty much be any type of small ride that fits into that new area behind the Rhino Rally queue.

And to add some more interesting speculation into the mix, the first permits for this were actually filed with the City of Tampa back on October 22nd with a generic description (Modifications to an existing building and site). I'd originally assumed this was just a permit for the Iron Gwazi station/queue area, but new documents uploaded today confirm that it's for Project Jethro. The job value comes in at $4 million and the permit expires in May of 2020. Nothing on any of the documents explicitly states this is a 2021 project, so there's a small possibility this could be a Summer 2020 project, but that would be kind of unprecedented.

NdbKGIT.png

OtoqiQ7.png

M7wPMuL.png

Like I said before, the Screamin' Swing is just a guess based on the queue design and Busch's history of installing similar attractions at their parks in subsequent years. Realistically it could pretty much be any type of small ride that fits into that new area behind the Rhino Rally queue.

And to add some more interesting speculation into the mix, the first permits for this were actually filed with the City of Tampa back on October 22nd with a generic description (Modifications to an existing building and site). I'd originally assumed this was just a permit for the Iron Gwazi station/queue area, but new documents uploaded today confirm that it's for Project Jethro. The job value comes in at $4 million and the permit expires in May of 2020. Nothing on any of the documents explicitly states this is a 2021 project, so there's a small possibility this could be a Summer 2020 project, but that would be kind of unprecedented.

NdbKGIT.png

OtoqiQ7.png

M7wPMuL.png
Not necessarily unprecedented. TurtleTrek and Antarctica opened in the same year at SWO.

I do have to wonder if Busch is looking at the Skywarp for Tampa.

There is already one at SeaWorld San Diego, and it appears to be successful.

Skywarp2.jpg

Skywarp2.jpg
A bit after opening, the motors on Tidal Twister filled with water and the ride was down for a while. It's also unable to run in rain which would be a nightmare in Florida. I believe there were 2-3 other parks looking to buy Skywarps before Harley Quinn opened, then they all cancelled after. It's an interesting concept but I can't see Busch getting one for a while at least.

A bit after opening, the motors on Tidal Twister filled with water and the ride was down for a while. It's also unable to run in rain which would be a nightmare in Florida. I believe there were 2-3 other parks looking to buy Skywarps before Harley Quinn opened, then they all cancelled after. It's an interesting concept but I can't see Busch getting one for a while at least.
I didn't know that....Thank God we probably wont get one

Skywarp2.jpg
I’ve heard nothing but bad stuff about these rides. Unreliable with lots of down time, horrible capacity, and painful to many riders.

Even my friends that have ridden these did not like them.

Don’t waste your time with this Busch!

Nooo, Busch Gardens what are you doing lol

Any chance this could be something else? As others have said, there are a dozen spots around the park that would be better, even ideal, for a Screamin Swing. To be entirely brutal, the notion of squandering the entire Rhino Rally plot for one seems too shockingly ill-conceived and lazy to have come from even the stingiest of bean counters in the most insulated of boardroom vacuums.

I don’t know how final these plans are, but if I were an executive at Busch Gardens I would seriously reconsider putting a Screamin’ Swing in that spot, if they’re dead set on putting one in the park at all. For one thing, it’s an invitation for animal rights activists to (justifiably) raise a stink about disturbing the animals. Second, that area is just not appropriate for an unthemed metal thrill ride. It should be strictly reserved for high-quality attractions that focus on animals and conservation, and not just passively like Tigris and Cheetah Hunt but in a way that meaningfully and thoughtfully connects guests with the animals.
This is being placed off to one side of the old Rhino Rally area, with plenty of room left for "future expansion" into the rest of that area. It's not like it will block them from ever using the rest of that area, and it will bring a much needed family thrill ride to that area of the park which is currently a dead spot. These rides are quiet and cause minimal disturbance to the animals.

You seem to be mistaking the current SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment with the past Busch Entertainment Corporation. I no longer see a future for the "meaningful animal based attraction" beyond theme elements and informational signs in most cases. Those kinds of things really never recoup their investments. Instead you'll see more "rides" and any new animal attractions will always have some kind of revenue element to them.

This is being placed off to one side of the old Rhino Rally area, with plenty of room left for "future expansion" into the rest of that area. It's not like it will block them from ever using the rest of that area, and it will bring a much needed family thrill ride to that area of the park which is currently a dead spot. These rides are quiet and cause minimal disturbance to the animals.

You seem to be mistaking the current SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment with the past Busch Entertainment Corporation. I no longer see a future for the "meaningful animal based attraction" beyond theme elements and informational signs in most cases. Those kinds of things really never recoup their investments. Instead you'll see more "rides" and any new animal attractions will always have some kind of revenue element to them.
Yes, I think it's opening up the expansion plot and re-training guests to go back in that area...I heard that was one of the areas they were looking at for a new coaster of some kind...I thought we'd get something similar to Wildwood Grove tbh

There are so many other areas of the park that could use a new attraction, rather then give a dead end a new ride that you cant even see from the path, they should better flesh out some of the existing areas of the park. Most people wouldn't even realize that path used to lead to something because it is so far off. If they put a new attraction in that spot, it should be something large and noteworthy. I stand by the leisure boat would make a perfect fit for that location.

Even if they wanted to put a ride on that path, that's not even a great location for it to have any kind of curb appeal. It's going to be hidden behind an elephant habitat.

There are so many other areas of the park that could use a new attraction, rather then give a dead end a new ride that you cant even see from the path, they should better flesh out some of the existing areas of the park. Most people wouldn't even realize that path used to lead to something because it is so far off. If they put a new attraction in that spot, it should be something large and noteworthy. I stand by the leisure boat would make a perfect fit for that location.

Even if they wanted to put a ride on that path, that's not even a great location for it to have any kind of curb appeal. It's going to be hidden behind an elephant habitat.
That is one of the real dead spots in the park. From the entrance to Pantopia there are no attractions along the pathway except the train and animals. That is a place where a new ride of some sort is needed, much like Tigris brought something to that dead area of the park on the other side. I think the ride will be more visible than you realize.

Except it isn't really a dead spot though, there is a lot of animal attractions on that pathway. Penguins, animal connections, elephants, Animal Care Center and the Serengeti Outpost. The area is one of the more populated sections of the park. Yeah, it doesn't have a ride, but it doesn't really need one.

An area that could really use a ride? Over by the Garden Gate Cafe. That area is a real dead spot.